Questions, things to share

A cyberpunk epic run by Wintermute
Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

I read this article tonight and thought I'd share. I was curious about pollution in our game setting.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/3630284.stm
"I need no mask to speak with you. Unlike my brother. I create my own personality. Personality is my medium."

--Neuromancer, William Gibson
smartmonkey
Dessicated Mummy

Post by smartmonkey »

Fun stuff. Re-read Zodiac about a month ago... the shit coroporations pull today is just disgusting, and I'm sure the macro-corporations that are discussed in the setting notes are probably worse. An image I used in a rather cyberpunkish/space opera one shot I ran with Alternity way back when I was like, 14, involved rain that tasted of motor oil. It would certainly enhance the "grit" of the setting.

Edit: Another thing I thought of as I read through the article: Nuclear weapons are going to get out of the box eventually. Theres not much that can be done about that, other than invading and blowing the shit out of the offending countries. Eventually, the "controlled use" doctrine of nukes in warfare will show up, and fallout will become an issue - probably not a world-ending one, as one would see in a world nuke war, but still something to think about.
Email: Morgangilbert01 @ gmail.com

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/people/Morgan_Gilbert/577987881

"If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable."
Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

I wasn't suggesting that the whole place would be a shithole, necessarily, but it was something I'd like some vague idea of - it seems like the kind of thing that could affect the setting almost constantly: Do people wear masks; is it appropriate to consider the residue on umbrellas, clothing, and shoes; does the landscape, in terms of flora and fauna, look the same?
"I need no mask to speak with you. Unlike my brother. I create my own personality. Personality is my medium."

--Neuromancer, William Gibson
Wintermute
Dessicated Mummy

Post by Wintermute »

Pollution is a still a huge problem in 2045, as a matter of fact it's worse. The rain isn't fit for drinking, swimming in the ocean can be risky, and designer filters aren't uncommon on red, purple, and maroon days. The landscape hasn't changed dramatically (although a botanist would certainly notice changes). If anything, the information culture has made pollution less visible... sararimen leave their climate-controlled houses in their climate-controlled cars and commute to their climate-controlled workplaces. Sure, the sky's kind of hazy and the outside air's a little harsh, but it sure does make for some beautiful sunsets!
"The sidhe cell sells sea shells down by the sea shore."
-Mordaine, running a Changeling game