Marvel HR character gen

Alternating GM troupe
mrlost
Mustachioed Pugilist

Marvel HR character gen

Post by mrlost »

Ok so last night for kicks I threw together a character based on my old Mutants & Masterminds PC Doctor Zombie.

Name: Zombie Master
Affiliations: Solo d6, Buddy d10, Team d8
Distinctions: Cackling Necromancer, Ex-Super Villain, Master of Zombie Island (d4 or d8)

Power Sets:

Iron Scrolls of the Darkhold
Darkforce Blast d8
Darkforce Mastery d10
Life Sense d6
Mystic Sense d6
Teleport d8

SFX: Animate Dead. Add a d6 and step up your effect die by +1 step when using Iron Scrolls of the Darkhold to create assets.
SFX: Dark Resurrection. Step back your own or another's physical trauma by -1 step but inflict a d6 mental stress.
SFX: Multipower. Use two or more Iron Scrolls of the Darkhold powers in a single dice pool at -1 step for each additional power.
SFX: By the Creeping Clouds of Chthon! Spend 1 PP to borrow the highest die in the doom pool and add it as an fear-related emotional asset, then step back and return the doom die.
SFX: By the Demon Daggers of the Darkhold! Borrow a die from the doom pool for an attack action. Step up the die by +1 for the attack. Return the die to the doom pool.
SFX. By the Power of Shuma-Gorath! Step up or double any Iron Scrolls of the Darkhold power for one action. If the action fails, add a die to the doom pool equal to the normal rating of your power die.

Limit: Conscious Activation. If stressed out, asleep, or unconscious, shutdown Iron Scrolls of the Darkhold. Recover Iron Scrolls of the Darkhold when stress is recovered or you awake. If mental trauma is taken, shutdown Iron Scrolls of the Darkhold until trauma is recovered.
Limit: Gear. Shutdown Iron Scrolls of the Darkhold and gain 1 PP. Take an action vs. the doom pool to recover gear.

Zombie Pack
Enhanced Durability d8,
Enhanced Strength d8,
Pack 3d6
SFX: Area Attack. Add a d6 and keep an additional effect die for each additional target.
SFX: Infectious. Add a d6 and step up effect die by +1 when inflicting a disease related complication on a target.

Limit: Pack. May be attacked by Area Attack SFX or each mob die may be attacked individually. When all three pack dice are eliminated shutdown Zombie Pack. Roll Darkforce Mastery vs. the doom pool to recover Zombie Pack.
Limit: Outbreak. Both 1 and 2 on your dice count as opportunities when using Zombie Pack.

Specialties: Crime Expert d8, Menace Master d10, Mystic Expert d8

Milestones:

Old Habits, Die Hard
1 XP When you first choose to inflict physical damage in a Scene.
3 XP When you tell your opponent your brilliant plan before implementing it.
10 XP When you lose control of your zombies in a metropolitan area or unleash a zombie plague.

Path of Redemption
1 XP When people mistake you for a villain.
3 XP When you save lives and are feared by those you saved.
10 XP When your actions convince the world that you are an unrepentant villain or when you sacrifice yourself for the greater good.

Notes: The character is a zombie themed super villain seeking redemption. He works best with a side kick (in M&M I had a chimpanzee battle-butler). His distinctions may overlap a little too much.

The source of much of his power is the Darkhold, a Marvel comics™ version of the Necronomicon. Even without the book he usually travels with about a dozen shambling zombies. If the zombies are destroyed he needs access to his book to raise more. Some of his SFX are named for spells that he casts, owing to his former super villain ways these spells call on the doom pool and risk making things worse.

Zombie Master has a weird SFX healing ability that reduces physical trauma but inflicts mental stress in the process, instead of costing a Plot Point. As it doesn't follow any of the example rules, this SFX would require Watcher (GM) approval. Basically Zombie Master calls the target back from death but it is so nightmarish/painful that it scars their psyche and risks driving them mad.

He also has a Zombie Pack power that replicates the villain ability to have a brute squad available. I'm not sure if this is the best way to represent being able to summon a dozen zombies, but I included a limit that lets you target individual dice in the power so that you can neutralize the power by three successful attacks on his zombies, in which case he needs to access to the darkhold to restore his zombie pack.
cczernia

Re: Marvel HR character gen

Post by cczernia »

Awesome, I'll have to try making a character.
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

I don't know much about the system, but this looks pretty cool. Did you run into any trouble re-creating powers from M&M?
mrlost
Mustachioed Pugilist

Post by mrlost »

Cthulhu wrote:I don't know much about the system, but this looks pretty cool. Did you run into any trouble re-creating powers from M&M?
Doctor Zombie originally had a mystic blast, zombie minions, clairvoyance, and a gateway power. He also a had a chimpazee sidekick (who carried his mummified head around in a jack in the box) and a zombie island base with the healing power.

Part of his backstory was that he had a falling out with his ex-wife after switching sides to join the heroes super team she had murdered him and dismembered his body. Doctor Zombie had used his powers to animate his head, and his sidekick and returned him to zombie island which the other PCs would use as a secret base. Anything one who was buried on the island would reanimate as an intelligent zombie.

With Marvel basic there is no sidekick power, and no secret lair power although both could be possible power sets. I decided against making one of his power sets be Zombie Island, instead he has Master of Zombie Island as a distinction. Clairvoyance became mysic sense, gateway became teleportation as I can use the effect die to create a gateway asset or resource, mystic blast got changed to Darkforce blast because Necromancy in the Marvel universe is often linked to the Darkforce energy source.

Essentially, Marvel basic let me boil down Doctor Zombie into a simpler hero, who I renamed Zombie Master.
mrlost
Mustachioed Pugilist

Post by mrlost »

Oh and I saw this big index of fan made characters using Marvel Heroic Roleplaying
http://exploring-infinity.com/marvel-he ... ile-index/