Savage Alera

Alternating GM troupe
mordraine

Savage Alera

Post by mordraine »

Next game!! Savage Worlds hack for the Codex Alera setting created by Jim Butcher!!

The descendants of the Lost Roman Legion apparently stepped through a dimensional portal into the wild and brutal world of Carna. As the generations passed, they forged a Romanesque empire called Alera. The capital city of this empire is called Alera Imperia.

In this world are elemental spirits known as Furies, that the humans (known as Alerans) can innately control. This gives people the ability to manipulate the element associated to the Fury. There are six types of Furies - Fire, Air, Water, Earth, Wood and Metal. Each element has its different purviews. Some Furies can manifest as creatures, usually recognizable animals, like mastiffs, falcons, lions, etc.

Water - Used in healing, communicating over large distances, reading emotions, shape shifting, keeping a youthful appearance, and manipulating water; disrupted by fire.

Earth - Used to gain strength, tracking and hunting, manipulate the earth, calm animals, and inspire lust. A manifest earth fury can attack directly and can carry a crafter across ground as if on a raft. Earthcraft is necessary to travel swiftly on furycrafted roads throughout Alera. Earthcraft is disrupted when contact with the ground is lost.

Wood - Used in manipulating plants, tracking and for camouflage; used by archers to bend massive bows to allow arrows to fly further and faster, and to increase accuracy of arrows. Also used to instantly create wooden tools. Requires nearby wood or plant matter, living or dead, in order to use. Disrupted by surrounding the user with metal.

Fire - Used to subliminally manipulate passionate feelings such as joy, anger, and fear; used to create and manipulate flames for either constructive or massively destructive purposes; can be used to create cold by extracting heat from an object; manifested fire furies may attack directly; disrupted by water.

Air - Used to fly, control the wind, and to increase speed and agility; Also able to bend air into a lens to see farther or into an echo chamber to allow voice communication without the need for watercrafting, however the effective range is much shorter; strong crafters may be able to bend the air to make objects or people seem invisible or to create lenses of air to focus light into a damaging beam; can be used to manipulate the weather, including the creation of lightning. Windcraft is disrupted by earth, particularly in the form of salt.

Metal - Used in sword play, crafters can change the hardness of metal, allowing them to strike with diamond-hard blades. Combat can be totally in the dark as metalcrafters do not need light to sense nearby metal. Shields can also be made more flexible to absorb a greater amount of impact force than normal. Also used in forging weapons and other precise metal objects. Metalcrafters also have dramatically increased pain tolerance and physical endurance. Although they gain speed, accuracy and deadly ability in combat, metalcrafters do not become physically stronger, nor does metalcraft give them skills they have not learned, and they still require metal weapons/armor to make the most of their abilities.

Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

Jealous again. I haven't even read these books, but my single experience with your Alera hack last year was a lot of fun. Have you changed how Metal works?
Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
Spirit of the Blank: A blog.
Roll Some Dice: Another blog.
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

devlin1 wrote:Jealous again. I haven't even read these books, but my single experience with your Alera hack last year was a lot of fun. Have you changed how Metal works?
Did we have issues with Metal? I don't remember. What, in your opinion needs changing?
Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

mordraine wrote:Did we have issues with Metal? I don't remember. What, in your opinion needs changing?
Oh, I just remember you thought it was too good and/or fiddly.
Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
Spirit of the Blank: A blog.
Roll Some Dice: Another blog.
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

More info:

Our mini-campaign (probably around 5 sessions, just long enough to take up the time that Albert is rehearsing for his play) will be taking place in Alera Imperia, the capital. It is a hotbed of political activity, as well as other more physical dangers.

Everyone is welcome to create whatever character concept they want, but there will be interactions with and machinations of Citizen families (the nobility of the setting).

Some concepts that might interest you:
  • steadholder - a freeman who either owns or lives in a Steadholt outside of the cities. Steadholts are compounds or forts that comprise a small village worth of people (sometimes they can get pretty large) and a lot of farmland.
  • legionnaire - a soldier of the realm
  • citizen - sort of analogous to nobility. Citizens are higher in the pecking order than steadholders and other freemen, soldiers and (of course) slaves. Citizenry is granted only to those with sufficient furycrafting powers, but it is also a family thing.
  • cursor - scout, spy, assassin and all around sneaky person
  • academ - student at the Academy
  • slave - owned by a Citizen
  • singulaire - bodyguard of a Citizen
  • maestro - Academy professor
  • politician - A member of the Senate (also a Citizen)
There are also Citizens known as "High Lords" who are the ruling elite of each city, and the First Lord, who is the emperor of Alera. The current First Lord is Gaius Sextus.

Here's a wikipedia entry on Codex Alera, for those who want to read up on it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codex_Alera
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

devlin1 wrote:Oh, I just remember you thought it was too good and/or fiddly.
Ah, okay. I'll see how it goes during game-play and adjust as necessary. It's been a while since visiting my system. I imagine I'll tweak it here and there with input from everyone.
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

devlin1 wrote:Oh, I just remember you thought it was too good and/or fiddly.
As I recollect now, I believe I thought it was potentially unbalanced that metal-crafters didn't have to make a vigor check whenever they used their powers. But on the other hand, their power is pretty restrictive compared to the other elements. So I think it works out.
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

Cool, I'll probably play a High Lord or the child of a High Lord (whatever works best)
constraints breed creativity
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

cczernia wrote:Cool, I'll probably play a High Lord or the child of a High Lord (whatever works best)
High lords are very powerful, but a son, daughter or other member of the high lord house would work perfectly. I will be posting cities and their ruling families at some point to give you an idea of who's around and what their political alignments are like.
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

Little dude has a fever and we are taking him to the doctors. I wont be able to make it tonight
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

Hope Little Dude gets better!
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

We should be on for more Alera tomorrow. Andy's @ 6pm.
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

we are!
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

Hey guys I'm kinda running on fumes...i will not be able to make it tonight
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

Do i recall rumblings of talk about switching back to 7pm start time for Mondays? I am in favor of this.

-sam
**Formerly dnd3eplayer**
Now your humble host. Let me know if you see any board issues.
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

Either way works for me.
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

This is fine for me as well. 6pm can be difficult.
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

:mrgreen:
had a good time
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

also i put that thing in the filepile.
**Formerly dnd3eplayer**
Now your humble host. Let me know if you see any board issues.
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

dnd3eplayer wrote:also i put that thing in the filepile.
w00t!
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

dnd3eplayer wrote:also i put that thing in the filepile.
pr0n. just say pr0n.