Next Game - KFC

Alternating GM troupe
cczernia

Next Game - KFC

Post by cczernia »

I know we were having a little trouble deciding what to do after DarkSun. I think Devlin1 answered our question. We could playtest Kerberos Club Fate.

What do the rest of you think?
constraints breed creativity
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

Yeah!

The current playtest material he sent out is only meant for Chargen, but I'm assuming a second (or third) package will be forthcoming and will include the entire manuscript for doing a campaign.

I'm definitely up for that.
Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Cool. I have new fate dice that need using!
No Nyarlathotep, No Chaos
Know Nyarlathotep, Know Chaos
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

:biggrin:
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

mordraine wrote:The current playtest material he sent out is only meant for Chargen, but I'm assuming a second (or third) package will be forthcoming and will include the entire manuscript for doing a campaign.
Uh... well, maybe not the entire manuscript, but it'll have more information on Archetypes, Social Class, Unrest, and maybe one or two other mechanical bits related to the setting. And some of the sample characters from the book, converted to FATE.

A couple pretty cool playtester-created characters have turned up on the KFC forum on the Arc Dream site, if anybody wants to check 'em out.
Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
Spirit of the Blank: A blog.
Roll Some Dice: Another blog.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

I sent out the next playtest packet this morning; it has more info on Archetypes. I specifically made sure to get it out before you guys did your thing today so you'd have it as a resource. You're welcome.

Question: Can I ask you a question? Assuming the answer is yes, here is the question, preceded by a statement. So you're going to get the statement first, followed by a question which, I hope, you can answer. Ready? Okay, here we go. Just to recap, it'll be statement first, then question, happening right now: I was thinking of coming down there the weekend of the 22nd to playtest. How would that work for you?
Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

I see that no one has responded as of yet to Mike's post.

Mike we're gonna run a reg'lar type campaign on Mondays for KFC. So if you come down for a playtest that would be good, but what are your thoughts? One-shot? A part of our campaign?

Also, since it's a playtest, would you be ok if someone else ran and you played and didn't say anything except observe? (that's Chris's idea - although he said he'll be out of town that weekend.)

I myself am unsure of my schedule for that weekend, otherwise I would've posted a response before now.
Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

mordraine wrote:I see that no one has responded as of yet to Mike's post.

Mike we're gonna run a reg'lar type campaign on Mondays for KFC. So if you come down for a playtest that would be good, but what are your thoughts? One-shot? A part of our campaign?
A session in your campaign's fine by me, as long as you don't mind doing it on Saturday instead of (or in addition to) Monday.
Also, since it's a playtest, would you be ok if someone else ran and you played and didn't say anything except observe?
I'm totally down for that. I never get to play.
I myself am unsure of my schedule for that weekend, otherwise I would've posted a response before now.
No problem. Let me know when you can. That looks like the only weekend this month I could go down there, and probably the only weekend before OrcCon.
Mike Olson
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

We shall discuss tonight. I'll let you know.

We also have to post more detailed impressions of our Chargen session from Saturday...
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

OK, most everyone is on for Jan 22 playtest. Chris will not be there, but I believe the rest of us will.

Most likely we'll still be playing our Dark Sun campaign, so I guess this session will be sort of a prequel to our regular campaign that will be starting up after that. I've been drafted into running the game (unfortunately since I don't consider myself a great FATE GM).

Guys - if you don't want to use the characters you created last Saturday, start thinking of a real concept. Otherwise, we can use those.

Simon - I think you arrived late last night, after we discussed this playtest session with Mike on the 22nd. Are you available to do this?
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

mordraine wrote:I've been drafted into running the game (unfortunately since I don't consider myself a great FATE GM).
I know I said I'd just be a player and remain otherwise quiet, but it's all right if I criticize your GMing, right?
Mike Olson
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

mordraine wrote:Simon - I think you arrived late last night, after we discussed this playtest session with Mike on the 22nd. Are you available to do this?
yes
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

devlin1 wrote:I know I said I'd just be a player and remain otherwise quiet, but it's all right if I criticize your GMing, right?
It's only fair, since we'll be criticizing your game all night.
Skyman wrote:yes
Excellent!
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

A night of criticizing Devlin's game and Mord's GMing. I can't believe I'm going to miss this. :mrgreen:
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

What time do we want to get together on Saturday, gentlemen?'

Also, Nat's going to join us, so Andy, if we could make sure there's a vacant couch or cot or something for him, that'd be great.
Mike Olson
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

Also, Brian Lee's coming. You may or may not know him. He's a friend of mine and Nat's. He attended a Hyphen-Con once back before it was called Hyphen-Con.
Mike Olson
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

How many players does that make?
**Formerly dnd3eplayer**
Now your humble host. Let me know if you see any board issues.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

dnd3eplayer wrote:How many players does that make?
You, Andy, Simon, Nat, Brian, me. Anyone else? Albert? John?
Mike Olson
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

i'd like to come. i have rehearsals till 2:30pm.
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

I'll be there.
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

Put me as a maybe...getting tooth extracted
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

Skyman wrote:Put me as a maybe...getting tooth extracted
Geez, getting you to show up to this thing is like pulling teeth.
Mike Olson
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

devlin1 wrote:Geez, getting you to show up to this thing is like pulling teeth.
ba da dum lol
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

say, what time are we meetin'?
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

what time are we meetin'.
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

Let's say 4pm.
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

Incidentally, Shawnie's making a full turkey dinner for tomorrow. Everything will be provided except BYOB. We have soda too.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

mordraine wrote:Let's say 4pm.
4pm.
Mike Olson
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

I think you can tell by this point I cannot make it...this sux:sad:
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

droooood, that was fun! thanks for running and hosting, andy. and if you're reading this, shawn, thank you for the sumptuous repast. and as i said, i dig the new game, mike. good show.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

"Coming out of my psychotic state -- I want to be a regular whore again."

Good times.
Mike Olson
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

Thanks again to Andy for running and everyone for playing -- it was illuminating and fun.

I'm sitting here unable to sleep thinking about how to simplify this thing, and I think I just cracked the code by taking a few cues from DFRPG. Tell me what you think.
  • No more character points -- characters start with 30 skill points instead. These are only used to buy skills.
  • Starting Refresh depends on where you are in the century: 6 for Early Century, 8 for Middle Century, 10 for Late Century. Remember, as the Strangeness spreads and becomes more pervasive, power levels increase.
  • Custom and Strange skill costs are calculated by adding the trapping values to the skill rating, then applying discounts from Drawbacks. The mandated Drawbacks for custom and Strange skills remain the same.
  • An Extraordinary Tier skill costs 1 Refresh; Superhuman, 2 Refresh; Cosmic/Unearthly/Ascendant, 4 Refresh; Godlike, 6 Refresh. Refresh can't be reduced below 1.
  • Each Gift reduces Refresh by 1.
  • Replace the Refresh Gift with the Skilled Gift: +5 skill points.
  • Everything else stays as-is.
Thoughts?
Mike Olson
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

I think i like it. I'll re-do my guy this way and confirm, though i may also change his archetype.
**Formerly dnd3eplayer**
Now your humble host. Let me know if you see any board issues.
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

i like it, mike. more coarse, less fine, point allocation will hopefully feel more streamlined. thanks.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

Well, it offers exactly as much customization without the big pool of points to pay for everything. I initially thought I didn't have a use for DFRPG's way of handling powers, because I didn't want there to just be a big list, but the method of paying for them -- with Refresh -- is perfect for the Tiers.

I pulled that number of skill points out of my ass, though, so I'll have to see if that's too much to start. The standard pyramid capped at Great (+4) is 20 points, so 30's more than enough.
Mike Olson
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

First session of KFC tonight at 6. Looking forward to seeing everyone.
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

i'm going to be late. start without me. looking forward to gaming tonight, too.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

Gimme a call if you have any questions. Hopefully, you won't have any questions.
Mike Olson
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

Just one question and it wasn't even KFC-specific? Did nothing else come up?
Mike Olson
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

Um... Nope, nothing yet. Everyone retooled their characters based on the new rules and the consensus was that the new rules are WAY easier and a lot less time consuming. So there's that.

There was discussion about the Variable trapping - I mentioned that you wanted to give it two trapping costs: Variable per scene: 2, and Variable per session: 1. Are you still going with that?
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

mordraine wrote:Um... Nope, nothing yet. Everyone retooled their characters based on the new rules and the consensus was that the new rules are WAY easier and a lot less time consuming. So there's that.
Well, good. That seems to be the general consensus among the other playtesters, too.
There was discussion about the Variable trapping - I mentioned that you wanted to give it two trapping costs: Variable per scene: 2, and Variable per session: 1. Are you still going with that?
Actually, it's Variable [Scene]: 4 and Variable [Session]: 2. And yeah, I think that's in.

I'm seriously thinking about taking out the Block trapping, and just letting every skill -- physical, mental, or social -- Block in whatever way makes sense. The big reason it was in there was for mind control, but I can do mind control via an aspect maneuver, too, and it'd probably work better.
Mike Olson
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

Thanks for the save. It's always nice to know that Mike hotline is there when you need it :mrgreen:

I really liked the revised character creation rules. It was a lot easier and I do believe everyone said that the characters abilities were similar.
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

cczernia wrote:Thanks for the save. It's always nice to know that Mike hotline is there when you need it :mrgreen:

I really liked the revised character creation rules. It was a lot easier and I do believe everyone said that the characters abilities were similar.
Yeah, it basically produces exactly the same characters (maybe a little better) with a fraction of the complexity.
Mike Olson
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

What is the password to get into the ArcDream forum?
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

cczernia wrote:What is the password to get into the ArcDream forum?
Oh, it's in the Playtest Packet. You do have the last Playtest Packet, don't you?
Mike Olson
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

I will be running late tonight
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

Question - John and Simon will both be late. Albert will be out (he's in Berkeley). Should we do something else tonight?
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

mordraine wrote:Question - John and Simon will both be late. Albert will be out (he's in Berkeley). Should we do something else tonight?
If you feel that the game could not go forward without Albert than we should probably wait and do something else. Otherwise we could play some Dominion until John or Simon shows up.
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

Dominion early on sounds good! We're heading in to a fight scene right at the onset of this session, but we can hand-wave Albert's character if need be.
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

mordraine wrote:Dominion early on sounds good! We're heading in to a fight scene right at the onset of this session, but we can hand-wave Albert's character if need be.
We'll just say he conceded at the beginning of the game :razz:
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup