Earthdawn - Misguided Ambitions

Post by SpaceMonkey »

Here's a list of the pregens:

Granogg Shorttusk, Ork Beastmaster
Naelon Tolan, Human Nethermancer
B'trizt R'trenn, T'skrang Swordmaster
Zeeth of the Silent Wings, Windling Thief
Leanda Softtones, Elf Troubadour

Andy said he may want to make an archer or something, that's fine. I looked over the adventure and its a fairly standard fantasy run-through, any set of characters would probably work. I may work up a character or two myself also, just to help familiarize myself with the rules a bit more -if anyone has a character type they would like to see let me know*.

Should be a shortish adventure, probably one or two sessions (depending on various factors of course). It will give an idea of mechanics & how the system flows.

*except Albert - if he shows up he has to make a character himself. and one for everyone else. That's the rule. ;)
**Formerly dnd3eplayer**
Now your humble host. Let me know if you see any board issues.
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

I will like to play Tolan
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

zeeth sounds cool, unless i make up a new character meself.
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

There are no Trolls in the pregen list. I shall make a Troll. Not sure what class to make it... Troll archer sounds a little against type. I'll decide tonight.
Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

B'trizt or Leanda sound cool.
constraints breed creativity
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

[quote="cczernia"]B'trizt or Leanda sound cool.[/quote]

Do the Troubador!

cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="Skyman"]Do the Troubador![/quote]

Mmmmmm.... ok.

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

[quote="jimmy corrigan"]zeeth sounds cool, unless i make up a new character meself.[/quote]

so... Zeeth then.

[quote="mordraine"]There are no Trolls in the pregen list. I shall make a Troll. Not sure what class to make it... Troll archer sounds a little against type. I'll decide tonight.[/quote]

There is a troll IN the adventure, but a PC troll wouldn't hurt any. I might roll up and obsidiman for the hell of it.

[quote="cczernia"]B'trizt or Leanda sound cool.[/quote]

I could see either being your style, since the T'skrang are all munchausen style.

**Formerly dnd3eplayer**
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

Over one thousand years ago, scholars discovered the coming of an apocalypse. They Named it the Scourge. The Scourge would last for the four centuries surrounding the peak of the world’s magic level, and during this time powerful and destructive entities called Horrors would cross the barrier between worlds to devastate the land and feed on the fear, anger, suffering, and f lesh of the Namegivers, the members of the sentient races—dwarfs, elves, humans, orks, trolls, t’skrang, obsidiman, and windlings.

Powerful adepts gathered to find the means to prevent the downfall of all living beings, and eventually founded the nation of Thera as a means to further this goal. The Therans discovered that the Namegivers could not combat the Horrors, but would have to hide from them and shield themselves behind magical barriers, either in domed cities called citadels or, more frequently, in underground fortifications called kaers. Vast resources and centuries of work went into the construction of these protective structures, and due to its unique position to pass on the knowledge of how to construct them— the Rites of Protection and Passage—Thera grew from an isolated island nation into an empire. To achieve their goal of preserving life throughout their numerous provinces, the Therans justified the means with the ends, and over the centuries of preparation began to enslave millions to dig kaers and lay bricks for citadels. Often, rulers would empty their nations’ coffers to pay the Therans, or, if their resources were sparse, sell half of their subjects into Theran slavery to save the other half.

Finally, five centuries ago, citadels closed their doors, and towns and villages entered their kaers to weather the coming storm. They had prepared for centuries of isolation with special magic to grow food underground, tap elemental sources for water, and light their caves by magical crystals. It wasn’t easy, and it wasn’t a safe bet. Countless kaers and citadels were breached by the Horrors, their inhabitants tortured in mind and body by the dark entities and their minions, feasted upon by these creatures from the foul depths of the Netherworlds. About one hundred years ago, Namegivers started to emerge from their kaers. They found a devastated world with most life—both plant and animal—consumed, and in some cases twisted beyond recognition by the Horrors. However, they set out to rebuild their cities, foster what remained of nature, and bridge the gaps between their settlements by engaging in trade. One ingenious move by the dwarf kingdom of Throal allowed the peoples of the Theran Province of Barsaive to come to a mutual understanding: the Book of Tomorrow. A tome handed out prior to the Scourge to almost all kaers of Barsaive, it taught the techniques that allowed long-isolated Namegivers to rebuild civilization, lest the growing of grain and the building of houses be forgotten while generations passed underground. It was written in dwarf script, and this led to all of Barsaive adopting the dwarf language as its common tongue.

Some fifty years ago, the Therans returned to Barsaive to once again claim the land as their province. The Barsaivians did not like that idea, most of them having adopted the Throalic code of law known as the Council Compact that renounced slavery and welcomed self-determination of individuals and nations alike. Now united, the Barsaivians resisted the Therans’ half-hearted attempt to subdue them with the force of their mighty f leet of stone airships. The Therans, not fully committing to subduing Barsaive as they were focused on reclaiming richer provinces, retreated to a corner of Barsaive. Just recently, they have refocused their attention on your homelands by landing one of their mighty behemoths, the grand fortress Triumph, in the heart of Barsaive, establishing a base for future conquest. The land has recovered from the Horrors’ onslaught, but with the Therans on its doorstep and much of the remote hinterlands of Barsaive still sparsely settled and largely unexplored, the thin network of larger city states sees itself challenged both by a force bent to dominate it, and the remnants of the Horrors and what these vile creatures left behind.

Your own kaer of Tsennan, Named for the town whose residents built and settled it, just recently opened when its locked doors were discovered by a Throalic expedition. Far to the North of Barsaive, your kaer feels that the threat of the Theran fortress of Triumph is far away, and rebuilding your community outside the kaer is the most pressing challenge at hand. The proximity of the Scythan Mountains, home once to another mighty dwarf kingdom struck early and completely destroyed by the Horrors, has led many of your people to move to one of the larger cities. The neighboring Blood Wood sends shivers down your spine at night. The blood elves dwelling there underwent a ritual that left thorns sprouting from their skin, causing them to live in constant self-inf licted agony to make themselves uninteresting to the Horrors. The elves among you say that this self-mutilation may be worse than anything the Horrors could have done. Out here in the hinterlands, with most of your people still living in tents and makeshift wooden shelters, there are no high walls or Throalic soldiers to protect you, and Horrors, undead, fierce beasts, and bandit tribes still roam the land.

Fortunately, there are some among you who walk the adept’s way—just like you. You use magic to achieve what others learn only after years of training, and to perform feats that cannot ever be performed by someone relying on mundane means alone. You are only at the beginning of your way, but if you follow the paths of your Disciplines to great accomplishments, you may one day become legends… As adepts, your daily chores differ from everybody else’s. Sitting on the green slopes of a hill overlooking the construction site of Tsennan, where houses for the families are being built now that the town hall and other communal facilities are finished, your duty is to watch out for trouble. Well, you haven’t exactly learned any other trade, such as woodworking or farming; becoming an adept took all your energy and effort, not to speak of the years of training you spent before mastering even the faintest application of magic. You are confident in your abilities now, and even though a veteran guardsman or welltrained fighter could still beat you in a duel at this time, they could never hope to learn some of the abilities you have; abilities that only those able to wield magic can learn. From the construction site, you see Elder Fennon approaching. A human in his sixties, Fennon has been sitting on the council of elders for almost ten years now and is in charge of managing raw materials, but he is really the practical type rather than a bureaucrat. As he draws nearer, you see his worn-out working clothes and the concerned look on his face. “Friends,” he says, “we have a problem…”
**Formerly dnd3eplayer**
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

OK, so I made a troll scout. And I'm happy to report that character creation is relatively painless.

Looking forward to this!
Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="mordraine"]OK, so I made a troll scout. And I'm happy to report that character creation is relatively painless.

Looking forward to this![/quote]

Game on tonight. Expecting nothing but pure awesome!

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

hey. was there speak of an obsidiman? if so, can i play him? if so, can his name be eugene?
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

Hm.. apparently no more email notifications for me.. boo!

anyhow, i didn't actually create any characters, since there's a whole bunch more pregens already apparently. There are 2 obsidimen in there though, and you can names em what you like.
**Formerly dnd3eplayer**
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

Ok, looks like we decided to continue on with EarthDawn. Let's go ahead and post our character concepts.
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

Hey guess what I found at Game Empire today? Yep, that's right! Earthdawn Players Companion!! Yay!
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

Ok, here is my basic character concept.

Leanna Avirinda

Leanna's family is tied very close to the military of the Theran Empire. Her father is a high ranking officer and her older brother is quickly working his way up. Leanna was also in the military put she didn't show the promise that the Avirinda family usually brings.

However, she quickly moved up in rank due to string pulled by her brother. This put her in SkyPoint in charge of the artillery on a skyship that put down rebel dwarves and their allies.

During a particular brutal raid her ship was shot down. Not able to deal with the realities of war nor the horrifying things she has seen her country due she has gone into hiding.

Soon after the crash Leanna ran off hoping that the rest of her crew assumed she was dead. The was able to pay a traveling merchant family a 100g if they allowed her to travel with them. The family reluctantly agreed.
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

Some other ideas:

Leanna's father is a really high ranking officer, equivalent to a general. I imagine him a strict but decent man.

Leanna's brother is insane and cruel. He is in love with Leanna and won't let any other man near her. Soon after Leanna first marriage was arranged the groom was found murdered by an assassin. No one knows why.

Leanna took a powerful magic item. The item should be important to the empire, tempting to use and have a bright and obvious effect that attracts attention.

Leanna should have something that makes it obvious that she is a member of the Theran Navy. I'm thinking a tatoo that she hides.
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

[quote="mordraine"]Hey guess what I found at Game Empire today? Yep, that's right! Earthdawn Players Companion!! Yay![/quote]cool! did you pick it up? where was it, because i swore i looked everywhere for earthdawn books.
[quote="cczernia"]Some other ideas:

Leanna's father is a really high ranking officer, equivalent to a general. I imagine him a strict but decent man.

Leanna's brother is insane and cruel. He is in love with Leanna and won't let any other man near her. Soon after Leanna first marriage was arranged the groom was found murdered by an assassin. No one knows why.

Leanna took a powerful magic item. The item should be important to the empire, tempting to use and have a bright and obvious effect that attracts attention.

Leanna should have something that makes it obvious that she is a member of the Theran Navy. I'm thinking a tatoo that she hides.[/quote]
some good ideas in there. nice.

Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

(P. Fontaine Voice)In a world of danger there is only one hope for man kind against the horrors that have ravaged the lands...
...it is...B'trizt R'trenn, T'skrang Swordmaster of the Dtiksa Ftagh-na Masters!

(Leanna melody)
Born in the House of the Rising Sun
Where its been the ruin of many poor boys
Who search for fame and glory
Only to find they have none

Mother was a tailor in short
Father was one of the drunk gamblers
Both silenced by the 'Sleepers in wait'
Brought up by a lame ork

Who said "Tell your children to stay away from here."
Don't walk the same path we have known for so long
In a place without heart and the love of the true
Dear sir you know the place it is

In the house called the Rising Sun
Where the finest blades are swung
By the strongest sword masters
and me, Oh God, I am ONE
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

gents, i've just got word that i have a meeting on monday. i will have to be late for the game. sorry.

character write-up to follow. yoo'jin out.
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

Since Skyman, JC and Mord already have their character made do you think we can get character gen and advancement done in an hour so we can start playing?
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

I think that's very possible. Those of us that have characters have to advance them to 3rd circle, which shouldn't take too long. Chargen for the rest of you shouldn't be any longer than an hour. Maybe even less.
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

We should be on for tonight! Mord's @ 7pm.
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

Ready!
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

Chump of the month award is gonna have to go to me this time around fellas. I'm not really feeling up to even driving down tonight. If you guys want to get rolling on characters that is fine by me, or if you have a one-shot or whatever for tonight go ahead on that and we'll pick back up next week.

Again, sorry for flaking - but i'm sure by now you dudes know i'd be there if it were at all feasible...

-sam
**Formerly dnd3eplayer**
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

it's all good, samuel. we had a good time yuking it up with chargen/charupgrade. andy was a champ for being our official interim rules sherpa.

now our characters are third circle. yeah! we'll be ready for whatever you have to throw at us next week. i hope.
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="dnd3eplayer"]
Again, sorry for flaking - but i'm sure by now you dudes know i'd be there if it were at all feasible...
[/quote]

No problem as char gen took a lot longer than we thought. We finished around 10 and I still don't think we are 100% done.

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

Not really ED related but for those who were interested here is the Diaspora SRD.

http://www.vsca.ca/Diaspora/diaspora-srd.html
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

My guy can now laugh and inspire people
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

[quote="cczernia"]Not really ED related but for those who were interested here is the Diaspora SRD.

[url]http://www.vsca.ca/Diaspora/diaspora-srd.html[/url][/quote]
[i]awe[/i]some! thanks.

SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

So.. do you guys want to post your characters and such?

Oh, and maybe your important expectations?
**Formerly dnd3eplayer**
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

[quote="dnd3eplayer"]
Oh, and maybe your [i]important expectations[/i]?[/quote]

This is that point where I throw in a low grade zinger about you being there

jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

wiki! wiki!

(what can i say? you spoiled me.)
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

hey guys: andy will be in irvine tomorrow (monday) and next monday. bummer, i know. so, can people meet at 7pm on friday instead?
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

[quote="jimmy corrigan"]hey guys: andy will be in irvine tomorrow (monday) and next monday. bummer, i know. so, can people meet at 7pm on friday instead?[/quote]

I'm not really sure I can...but then I know I might be missing parts of this game because of certain issues related to my wife.

I think Sam needs to be on board for obvious reasons.

SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

I had indicated my on-boardness to albert prior to his posting, so no worries on his jumping the gun, as he didn't.

-sam
**Formerly dnd3eplayer**
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

I remember Thursday also being an option and I originally said I couldn't do that. I can make Thursday I'll just be there around 7:30.
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

i can make thursday or friday.
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

Thursday or Friday is good for me as well. I'll be driving home from Irvine on Thursday, so it might be good to start that 1/2 later than usual anyway.

So votes? Thursday better than Friday? Or vice versa?
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="mordraine"]Thursday or Friday is good for me as well. I'll be driving home from Irvine on Thursday, so it might be good to start that 1/2 later than usual anyway.

So votes? Thursday better than Friday? Or vice versa?[/quote]

I vote for Thursday. Also, we are only moving the game for two weeks, correct?

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
Sven
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by Sven »

Hi Everyone. I have stuff both thursday and friday. go ahead and game without me.

-Sven
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

Only for the next two weeks, that is correct Chris.

Bummer Erik! What about next week??
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

i vote thursday. so, see most everyone at mord's at 7:30, yeah?
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

[quote="Sven"]Hi Everyone. I have stuff both thursday and friday. go ahead and game without me.

-Sven[/quote]

ditto

jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

shee-it.
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

Anyway, it looks like we won't be playing ED but something else so Sven and Skyman don't miss out.

Whether we do or not I was wondering if a few of us still want to get together this Monday to play this:

Review
http://playthisthing.com/msg-game-professionals
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

Wait, so we aren't meeting tonight, or we are doing something else?
**Formerly dnd3eplayer**
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

well, mord hasn't replied yet, but i'm arriving at his doorstep tonight at 7:30pm rain or shine.
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

if he's not there, we can pull a 'Futurama Nixon' and just 'wreck up the place' for the hell of it.
**Formerly dnd3eplayer**
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

Guys I have come to the reality that I probably will not be making the sessions till my wife pops. SO I encourage you guys to continue on without me. Sorry