The Second Gate

Alternating GM troupe
Lowly Uhlan
Wizened Witch

Post by Lowly Uhlan »

OK, I'm beginning an outline for a short (5-6 session) Fading Suns D20 game. This would be a serial game that is very character-based, the whole game an extended story arc. My FS one shot I ran got a thumbs up from cczernia, and I know I can do the setting justice. Straight D20, I don't want to spend time modifying the system. Characters will start at 5th level. It's still in the early planning stages, though and it would be a while before play begins.

So who would be interested, and what class(es) do you want?

In order to flesh things out, I need to know what kind of characters you guys would be interested in. Here's the choices, the first 2 are mandatory and need to be picked by someone, they're essential to the plot.

Human Noble: From one of the major houses.

Guilder:Either Charioteer (star pilot or merchant), Engineer (technician/dealer in tech), or Scraver (anything from Indiana Jones to a well-paid theif or spy)

The other options:

Brother Battle: Badass warrior monks. Definete Church diehards.

Priest: Just what it says. Uth Ortodox (a tender of the flock), Eskatonic (they scour the universe for mystical lore to defend the masses), Almatheans (order of healers), Mendicant Monks (they stay far away in monestaries away from church politics and occasionally come forth to save some souls). Temple Avesti is off limits to PCs.

Psychic: Up tp 2 levels may be taken in this class. But there will be a definete and sometimes serious bias against psychics if their true nature is dicovered. But some in-play bias sounds like fun to me.

Soldier: Does what it says. Most likely a wayward merc or Noble's retainer.

Starwolf: Badass space barbarian. Vuldrok (big Norse types) only. there will be bias against a Starwolf. More RPing fun.

Techie: Would most likely be multiclass with the Guilder class, possibly with Starwolf. Does what it says.

Theurgist: Up to 1 level may be taken, only with the preist class.

Knave: A thief

Edit: Included knave (option for the undecided only)
Conversely, Slayer never did any concerts with Christian rockers, Stryper.

(Kerry King stated:)"I would have been too worried that our fans would have killed their fans...and them."
Lowly Uhlan
Wizened Witch

Post by Lowly Uhlan »

BTW multiple Nobles and Guilders would be ok. Not clones of each other though.

(Kerry King stated:)"I would have been too worried that our fans would have killed their fans...and them."
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

I'm in. Don't know what character I'd play yet though.
Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

I'll play, and so on. I have a basic idea of the setting, and I enjoyed the Brother Battle I played before, so maybe I'll go down that road again. Then again, Charioteer interests me too. I dunno. I shall think on it.
Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
Spirit of the Blank: A blog.
Roll Some Dice: Another blog.
Lowly Uhlan
Wizened Witch

Post by Lowly Uhlan »

It would be good to have you on board, mordraine. If you're going to run a game maybe we could switch off, you running one week, me the next.

And I guess it's ok that devlin wants to play

:twisted:

What's with BoC.

devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="Lowly Uhlan"]
And I guess it's ok that devlin wants to play
[/quote]

Yay!

Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
Lowly Uhlan
Wizened Witch

Post by Lowly Uhlan »

Eat your pot pie.

mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="Lowly Uhlan"]It would be good to have you on board, mordraine. If you're going to run a game maybe we could switch off, you running one week, me the next.
[/quote]

Works for me. Then I'd have more time to work up material. I do plan on running a Steampunk game (using OGL Steampunk from Mongoose). I've been starting some preliminary research on the matter.

Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
Lowly Uhlan
Wizened Witch

Post by Lowly Uhlan »

Have you considered Iron Kingdoms?

mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="Lowly Uhlan"]Have you considered Iron Kingdoms?[/quote]

I've got IK actually. It's a great book but I'm a tad more inclined towards OGL Steampunk. Mostly cuz IK is too much D&D mixed in with the Steampunk. It's also very setting heavy. Mongoose's book is more generic and I can fit it to my world better.

BreakfastOfChampions

Post by BreakfastOfChampions »

While we're throwing alternative Steampunk settings out, have you looked at Castle Falkenstein, or GURPS Castle Falkenstein? How about Space 1889?
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="BreakfastOfChampions"]While we're throwing alternative Steampunk settings out, have you looked at Castle Falkenstein, or GURPS Castle Falkenstein? How about Space 1889?[/quote]

Nope, nope and nope. I would like to at some point. Especially Castle Falkenstein.

But for this particular game, I'm choosing OGL Steampunk as a starting off point. I've already read the book. I'm familar with the D20 system so I don't have to learn something new. And it's generic enough that I can fit it into my old fantasy world really easily. Which means I don't have to learn about a whole new world either. It makes for a faster period for me to be prepared.

BreakfastOfChampions

[quote="mordraine"][quote:64ff35870d="BreakfastOfChampions"]While we're throwing alternative Steampunk settings out, have you looked at Castle Falkenstein, or GURPS Castle Falkenstein? How about Space 1889?[/quote]

Nope, nope and nope. I would like to at some point. Especially Castle Falkenstein.

But for this particular game, I'm choosing OGL Steampunk as a starting off point. I've already read the book. I'm familar with the D20 system so I don't have to learn something new. And it's generic enough that I can fit it into my old fantasy world really easily. Which means I don't have to learn about a whole new world either. It makes for a faster period for me to be prepared.[/quote:64ff35870d]

Tis cool. I have GURPS Castle Falkenstien and space 1889 if you want a looksee. they are good sources for fun material.

I'm just fine with OGL steampunk, as long as I can play a clockwork ninja.

"What's that tickticktick...AUGH!"

mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="BreakfastOfChampions"]Tis cool. I have GURPS Castle Falkenstien and space 1889 if you want a looksee. they are good sources for fun material.

"What's that tickticktick...AUGH!"[/quote]

That was one of the villains from the Hellboy movie, wasn't it?

I would indeed like to have looksees at both books! Thankee kindly!

BreakfastOfChampions

[quote="mordraine"][quote:b4e7421081="BreakfastOfChampions"]Tis cool. I have GURPS Castle Falkenstien and space 1889 if you want a looksee. they are good sources for fun material.

"What's that tickticktick...AUGH!"[/quote]

That was one of the villains from the Hellboy movie, wasn't it?

I would indeed like to have looksees at both books! Thankee kindly![/quote:b4e7421081]

I'd also suggest Cthulhu by Gaslamp and I also have GURPS Steampunk. I ran a Castle Falkenstein game briefly (using EABA rules). The players thought it was cool, but a schedule couldn't be reached.

There's also this: [url]http://enigma.cs.ucla.edu/games/falkenstein/index.html[/url]

and

[url]http://republika.pl/steampunk/chrono02.html[/url]

Lowly Uhlan
Wizened Witch

Post by Lowly Uhlan »

So we've got cczernia as a Li Halan Noble, devlin playing a Charioteer, BoC as Brother Battle. I've got the 2 slots I was worried about filled. Any idea as to what you want to play mord?

mordraine

Post by mordraine »

I'm leaning towards psychic, but I really need to look through my Fading Suns book and let you know. I'll do that tonight. I like the alien races in the setting (don't recall their names).
Lowly Uhlan
Wizened Witch

Post by Lowly Uhlan »

[quote="mordraine"]I'm leaning towards psychic, but I really need to look through my Fading Suns book and let you know. I'll do that tonight. I like the alien races in the setting (don't recall their names).[/quote]

No hurry. You can take up to 3 levels in Psychic (even though I originally said 2). Wow, a Psychic with a Li Halan and Brother Battle. This will be interesting.

BreakfastOfChampions

[quote="Lowly Uhlan"][quote:86e6628f0c="mordraine"]I'm leaning towards psychic, but I really need to look through my Fading Suns book and let you know. I'll do that tonight. I like the alien races in the setting (don't recall their names).[/quote]

No hurry. You can take up to 3 levels in Psychic (even though I originally said 2). Wow, a Psychic with a Li Halan and Brother Battle. This will be interesting.[/quote:86e6628f0c]

Is it even feasable? I've had my fill of the 'one of these don't fit' scenarios for a while.

Lowly Uhlan
Wizened Witch

Post by Lowly Uhlan »

[quote="BreakfastOfChampions"]

Is it even feasable? I've had my fill of the 'one of these don't fit' scenarios for a while.[/quote]

Leave that up to me. Things will fit and it will be plausible.

BreakfastOfChampions

[quote="Lowly Uhlan"][quote:401711ed14="BreakfastOfChampions"]

Is it even feasable? I've had my fill of the 'one of these don't fit' scenarios for a while.[/quote]

Leave that up to me. Things will fit and it will be plausible.[/quote:401711ed14]

Coolio.

cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="mordraine"]I'm leaning towards psychic, but I really need to look through my Fading Suns book and let you know. I'll do that tonight. I like the alien races in the setting (don't recall their names).[/quote]

Obon, Ukar, Vorox

or Shantor, Etyri, Ascrobite, Hironem, Gannock, Oroym.

constraints breed creativity
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
Lowly Uhlan
Wizened Witch

Post by Lowly Uhlan »

[quote="cczernia"]I

Obon, Ukar, Vorox

or Shantor, Etyri, Ascrobite, Hironem, Gannock, Oroym.[/quote]

BONUS XP!

:P

devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

Bah.

Mike Olson
BreakfastOfChampions

[quote="devlin1"][quote:1ff2243dd4="BreakfastOfChampions"]

Bah.[/quote:1ff2243dd4]

I mean it with love. And its not just you, and your case isn't extreme, and is entertaining!

I'm talking more the "Wow, if Brother Battle sees you using you psychic powers, he'll be honor bound to kill you!" It turns into 3's company, where there's all these artificial reasons why Mr. Roper doesn't realize that Jack isn't gay.

Lowly Uhlan
Wizened Witch

Post by Lowly Uhlan »

Like I said before, this is a character-driven game. If and when it does become apparent the situation will unfold in a non-artificial way. And the warrior monk might end up being the only one who knows why.

cczernia

Post by cczernia »

Actually, the one way it would be feasible is if Mord played a Ukar or Obon. They are all psychic. The church would of course react to the use of any psychic powers but that doesn't mean they don't have them. And the Church is aware of this.

So, a Brother Battle would be much less likely to react to an Obun using psychic power than a human. An Avestite will probably have the same reaction either way.

They are also treated badly, second class serfs, being lowly aliens and all. Sell them to the Muster.

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
BreakfastOfChampions

Thank heavens, no one is playing an Avestite. Though Mike...it sounds right up your alley! *run*run*run*
BreakfastOfChampions

Oh, and I know I was joking around when I mentioned that I dissed the Conana game because of MtF*

Remembering more clearly, the problem was the schedule, which was jumping all over the place. Unfortunately, if the day jumps around a lot, I can't do the game. If it stays consistant, I have a much easier time attending.

*Mark the Fuckwad
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="cczernia"]Actually, the one way it would be feasible is if Mord played a Ukar or Obon. They are all psychic[/quote]

Which was what I was thinking of playing.

But again, I will look through my book tonight and see what looks good. I don't necessarily have to play a psychic.

If I can cross-thread for a moment, I have a certain responsibility in this instance to create a character that fits in to the situation. :)

cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="mordraine"][quote:b9749d216c="cczernia"]Actually, the one way it would be feasible is if Mord played a Ukar or Obon. They are all psychic[/quote]

But again, I will look through my book tonight and see what looks good. I don't necessarily have to play a psychic.[/quote:b9749d216c]

Heh, didn't you play the Ukar psychic in my one shot. Funny how guys got attached to those characters :)

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
BreakfastOfChampions

[quote="cczernia"][quote:f75f4f277d="mordraine"][quote:f75f4f277d="cczernia"]Actually, the one way it would be feasible is if Mord played a Ukar or Obon. They are all psychic[/quote]

But again, I will look through my book tonight and see what looks good. I don't necessarily have to play a psychic.[/quote:f75f4f277d]

Heh, didn't you play the Ukar psychic in my one shot. Funny how guys got attached to those characters :)[/quote:f75f4f277d]

It takes me a long time to define my guy. Like at least two sentences.

Lowly Uhlan
Wizened Witch

Post by Lowly Uhlan »

[quote="BreakfastOfChampions"]Oh, and I know I was joking around when I mentioned that I dissed the Conana game because of MtF*

Remembering more clearly, the problem was the schedule, which was jumping all over the place. Unfortunately, if the day jumps around a lot, I can't do the game. If it stays consistant, I have a much easier time attending.

*Mark the Fuckwad[/quote]

Excuses, exscuses :roll:

devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

Children, let's not get into this again. Everything's just settled enough as it is. The important part is that we're all together now, and no one can take that away from us.
Mike Olson
BreakfastOfChampions

No I'm serious, and I don't mean it wise-ass. Without a consistant schedule, I'm toast. I know sometimes it can't be helped, but I'm on a fairly busy schedule, and I need to schedule game time. I'd like to play in the FS game, but without a schedule, its too hard, even for a really cool game.
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

*raises hand*

Me too, actually. I'd prefer a regular day. Doesn't matter which day, as long as it's the same every week so I can schedule around it.
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

And as far as class goes, that I'd like to play, I've reviewed the book, and the classes I like the most are Living Weapon and Knave. Eric, your list didn't include Living Weapon, so if that's not available to me, I'll play a Knave Spy.
Lowly Uhlan
Wizened Witch

Post by Lowly Uhlan »

[quote="devlin1"]Children, let's not get into this again. Everything's just settled enough as it is. The important part is that we're all together now, and no one can take that away from us.[/quote]

*group hug*

Lowly Uhlan
Wizened Witch

Post by Lowly Uhlan »

[quote="mordraine"]And as far as class goes, that I'd like to play, I've reviewed the book, and the classes I like the most are Living Weapon and Knave. Eric, your list didn't include Living Weapon, so if that's not available to me, I'll play a Knave Spy.[/quote]

Living Weapon would depend on what race you played. Knave is ok, probably a hired hand.

mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="Lowly Uhlan"]Living Weapon would depend on what race you played. Knave is ok, probably a hired hand.[/quote]

I was thinking about human LW. Either of the Iron Heel or Koto style.

If I was a Knave, I would like to be a spy type character. Mercenary spy would be okay with me.

Whichever concept works better in the game you're planning.

Lowly Uhlan
Wizened Witch

Post by Lowly Uhlan »

A human Knave would be better. Merc spy sounds good.

mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="Lowly Uhlan"]A human Knave would be better. Merc spy sounds good.[/quote]

Righto then. Merc spy it is!

Lowly Uhlan
Wizened Witch

Post by Lowly Uhlan »

Cool. Now I can can custom-tailor some plotlines. We'll all do chargen together in a session. But that won't be for a while yet. Now I have something to work with.

cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="mordraine"][quote:96a33d181a="Lowly Uhlan"]A human Knave would be better. Merc spy sounds good.[/quote]

Righto then. Merc spy it is![/quote:96a33d181a]

For spies I have two books you might want to look at. One is an entire book on spies and the other has a spy prestige class. So, you don't have to necessarily play a "merc" spy because each of the pillars has an Intelligence Wing. Let me know if you are interested in the Imperial Eye because there is information on them in "Spies and Revolutionaries" and "Byzantium Secondus." The two most influential Intelligence agencies were The Imperial Eye and the Jakovian Agency.

Empire - Imperial Eye

Hawkwood - Rooks

Decados - Jakovian Agency

Hazat - Archons

Li Halen - Jingcha, Hidden Martyrs, Lyonesse Survey Ingelligence and Yuan Men

Al Malik - Mutasih

The Church - The Synecullum, Kalinthi, Penitents

Charioteer - Killroys

Engineer - Harbingers

Scravers (well, Intelligence is what Scravers do)

Muster - Vigil

Reeves - Auditors

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

'Course, it all depends on what Lowly would let me play, but The Eye sounds intriguing... I certainly wouldn't mind if you brought along those books next Wednesday.
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="mordraine"]'Course, it all depends on what Lowly would let me play, but The Eye sounds intriguing... I certainly wouldn't mind if you brought along those books next Wednesday.[/quote]

Will do.

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
Lowly Uhlan
Wizened Witch

Post by Lowly Uhlan »

[quote="mordraine"]'Course, it all depends on what Lowly would let me play, but The Eye sounds intriguing... I certainly wouldn't mind if you brought along those books next Wednesday.[/quote]

I'll narrow it down to Kilroy's, Harbingers, and uh, Scravers. Those are your options, mord.