Cthulhu's Tentacles

All kinds of spooky goodness. A forum for the discussion of horror RPGs.

Choose your death in a Cthulhu RPG?

Drown and sink to R'lyeh
11%
Drown and sink to R'lyeh
56%
Drown and sink to R'lyeh
33%
Drown and sink to R'lyeh
No votes

Total votes: 9

Old Gamer From the Sea
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Old Gamer From the Sea »

Hey Lovecraft fans

I am in search of any cartoons, movies and Tv shows that deal with lovecraft mythos.

Have any ideals please post them or e-mail them to me. When I get the list compiled I'll list it hear.

Hears Loathing You
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

There was this great movie that, while not an actual Lovecraft movie, was heavily based on it. I can't remember the title, but it was set in the 30's, and the main character was a dective called H. Phillip Lovecraft. Lovecraft was the only man in the world that didn't practice some form of magic. He get's involved in a mystery revolving around the Necronomicon. It was good.

Best line from the movie (The character is talking about zombies that they get shipped in from Africa): "They come 12 to a box. Like bon-bon's."

Chris
Follow my attempt to convert Torg to Savage Worlds!
Old Gamer From the Sea
One-Armed Skeleton

Thanks

The Movie was called "To Cast a Deadly Spell". It was Originally made by/for HBO.

Very good movie. It's sequel that came out many years later was not so good.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

A couple films spring to mind.

In The Mouth of Madness, with Sam Neill. It's based more on Lovecraft's work in general than on any one specific story, but it's very much in flavor with HPL's style.

From Beyond, as in the short story of the same title, but with some bondage and leather. Seriously.

While I can't think of any cartoons, per se, some of Lovecraft's work has occasionally translated (quite well) to comic books.

As for TV, I can think of anything applicable.
Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
Spirit of the Blank: A blog.
Roll Some Dice: Another blog.
Old Gamer From the Sea
One-Armed Skeleton

Here are a few toons and one tv show.

The Real Ghost Busters - Eps. #45 -The Collect Call of Cthulhu
Justice League - The Terror Beyond part2

Night Gallery - Cool Air
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="Old Gamer From the Sea"]Justice League - The Terror Beyond part2
[/quote]

Oh, well, if it's going to be anything with horror elements, that's different. Have at it.

Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

There was a movie just recently released called "Dagon" where a guy gets stuck on a coastal town of fish people. Feels a little like Evil Dead 2.
constraints breed creativity
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="cczernia"]There was a movie just recently released called "Dagon" where a guy gets stuck on a coastal town of fish people. Feels a little like Evil Dead 2.[/quote]
Sounds like Shadow Over Innsmouth.

Mike Olson
smartmonkey
Dessicated Mummy

Post by smartmonkey »

It basically -was- Shadow Over Innsmouth. Hell, even the symbols of Dagon were straight out of the Lovecraftian style. I got bored halfway through watching it, switched over to resident evil: outbreak, and decided to run an AFMBE game some day.

But thats off topic.
Email: Morgangilbert01 @ gmail.com

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/people/Morgan_Gilbert/577987881

"If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable."
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

Topic might best be suited over Lurking in Darkness

Metallica has a song too BTW
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

Didn't Hellboy have Cthulu at the end of it?

Chris
Follow my attempt to convert Torg to Savage Worlds!
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="Skyman"]Topic might best be suited over Lurking in Darkness
[/quote]

So it is written, so shall it be.

BTW, "Dagon" wasn't half bad. Kinda fun for a B movie. I saw it on SciFi about a year and a half ago. And it is totally based on "Shadow Over Innsmouth", as Smartmonkey said. It even had the crazy drunk guy who told the main character the history of the town.

I had just finished reading the short story about a week before the movie came on TV. It was an interesting coincidence.

Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="BlanchPrez"]Didn't Hellboy have Cthulu at the end of it?

Chris[/quote]

It was certainly a very Cthulhuish creature, if not Cthulhu himself. And a Cthulhuish ending too. What with calling down the Elder Gods to our dimension and all.

Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

[quote="mordraine"][quote:fd90cee7e8="BlanchPrez"]Didn't Hellboy have Cthulu at the end of it?

Chris[/quote]

It was certainly a very Cthulhuish creature, if not Cthulhu himself. And a Cthulhuish ending too. What with calling down the Elder Gods to our dimension and all.[/quote:fd90cee7e8]

The whole thing was cthulhu mythos based with a comic perspective. The book he used in the movie was Vermis Mysterious(Sp?) and the creatures were definitely. They all made references to Elder Gods and Old ones, crap like that. If you were to do CoC during the rise of Hitler it would look like Hellboys origin at the begginning of the movie...Trust me on this. :wink:

BreakfastOfChampions

Post by BreakfastOfChampions »

[quote="Skyman"][quote:9f94c23768="mordraine"][quote:9f94c23768="BlanchPrez"]Didn't Hellboy have Cthulu at the end of it?

Chris[/quote]

It was certainly a very Cthulhuish creature, if not Cthulhu himself. And a Cthulhuish ending too. What with calling down the Elder Gods to our dimension and all.[/quote:9f94c23768]

The whole thing was cthulhu mythos based with a comic perspective. The book he used in the movie was Vermis Mysterious(Sp?) and the creatures were definitely. They all made references to Elder Gods and Old ones, crap like that. If you were to do CoC during the rise of Hitler it would look like Hellboys origin at the begginning of the movie...Trust me on this. :wink:[/quote:9f94c23768]

I cannot help but think that unless there is some professor gibbering insane at the end, pulling his own hair out, then it doesn't have that Lovecraftian feel to me.

Now if it had an ending similar to Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom...now I think they'd be getting a bit closer to the meat of the Cthulhu Mythos.

cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="BreakfastOfChampions"]

I cannot help but think that unless there is some professor gibbering insane at the end, pulling his own hair out, then it doesn't have that Lovecraftian feel to me.

Now if it had an ending similar to Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom...now I think they'd be getting a bit closer to the meat of the Cthulhu Mythos.[/quote]

Hellboy is a fun movie but I have to agree that it didn't feel Cthulhu except for cosmetically. No one goes insane. At least Indy gets the monkey juice in Temple of Doom. Not that I mind either way, I can't stand Lovecraft's writing.

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
BreakfastOfChampions

[quote="cczernia"][quote:f357a22946="BreakfastOfChampions"]

Now if it had an ending similar to Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom...now I think they'd be getting a bit closer to the meat of the Cthulhu Mythos.[/quote]

Hellboy is a fun movie but I have to agree that it didn't feel Cthulhu except for cosmetically. No one goes insane. At least Indy gets the monkey juice in Temple of Doom. Not that I mind either way, I can't stand Lovecraft's writing.[/quote:f357a22946]

It goes beyond the writing. Its the feel of the mythos. Humanity is not only tiny and insigificant, but also an aberration in a universe humanity cannot even *hope* to comprehend without going starkers.

devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="cczernia"]
Not that I mind either way, I can't stand Lovecraft's writing.[/quote]

God [i]damn my feet itch[/i],

Mike Olson
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="devlin1"][quote:4dfab61e60="cczernia"]

God [i]damn[/i], [i]chunky monkey loves chachi[/i].[/quote:4dfab61e60]

No, Lovecraft does.

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
BreakfastOfChampions

Just for that, my character's history will be in the same prose as Lovecrafts.

Gentlemen, BEHOLD! I give you.....MORE CORN!
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="cczernia"][quote:441f8f4430="devlin1"][quote:441f8f4430="cczernia"]

God [i]damn[/i], I need [i] your love in the worst way[/i].[/quote:441f8f4430]

No, Lovecraft does.[/quote:441f8f4430]

Okay, saying you don't like his writing is one thing, but [i]this[/i]... I see tar and feathers in your future. And not in the usual way.

Mike Olson
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

Man, if I get this reaction from a bunch of gamers saying Lovecraft's writing sucks imagine the reaction if I said I didn't like RA Salvatore. I think I'd be stoned to death.

[quote="BoC"]Just for that, my character's history will be in the same prose as Lovecrafts. [/quote]

And here I was hoping you would summon your inner Thompson or Kerouac. Instead you leave me with something dry and boring :(

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="cczernia"]Man, if I get this reaction from a bunch of gamers saying Lovecraft's writing sucks imagine the reaction if I said I didn't like RA Salvatore. I think I'd be stoned to death.[/quote]
What on Earth made you think of Salvatore? We're talking about [i]writers.[/i] If we were talking about, say, hacking down a tree, I could see the connection.

[quote]Instead you leave me with something dry and boring :([/quote]
Hold me [i]I need to sleep where it [/i]is dry and boring!*

But please, let's not turn this into a Gotetsu-esque exchange wherein you like/dislike a thing and I dislike/like it, and we go back and forth on it until I just unsubscribe from the thread and hurl curses upon you from afar. He and I have been able to sort out our differences by completely ignoring them-- can't you and I do the same...? For the sake of the act-- the Chris and Mike Show-- we have to get past this.

*[size=84]Apologies if, for one reason or another, this is actually in very, very bad taste.[/size]

Mike Olson
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="devlin1"][quote:02462fa0a5="cczernia"]Man, if I get this reaction from a bunch of gamers saying Lovecraft's writing sucks imagine the reaction if I said I didn't like RA Salvatore. I think I'd be stoned to death.[/quote]
What on Earth made you think of Salvatore? We're talking about [i]writers.[/i] If we were talking about, say, hacking down a tree, I could see the connection.

Your [i]mom [/i]is hot and I want her number!*

But please, let's not turn this into a Gotetsu-esque exchange wherein you like/dislike a thing and I dislike/like it, and we go back and forth on it until I just unsubscribe from the thread and hurl curses upon you from afar. He and I have been able to sort out our differences by completely ignoring them-- can't you and I do the same...? For the sake of the act-- the Chris and Mike Show-- we have to get past this.[/quote:02462fa0a5]

The connection comes from the only reason I know of these authors is through gaming. If I had never gamed I would have never heard of Salvatore or Lovecraft. And just to clarify that it is Lovecraft's writing I don't like, I'm sure he was a fine gentleman and all the rage at parties. And we do have to thank him for the Mythos which provides many "Cthullu for president" jokes which we need during the election.

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
BreakfastOfChampions

[quote="cczernia"][quote:17bf926c19="devlin1"][quote:17bf926c19="cczernia"]Man, if I get this reaction from a bunch of gamers saying Lovecraft's writing sucks imagine the reaction if I said I didn't like RA Salvatore. I think I'd be stoned to death.[/quote]

Mojave Desert[i]in springtime [/i]is dry and boring!*

But please, let's not turn this into a Gotetsu-esque exchange wherein you like/dislike a thing and I dislike/like it, and we go back and forth on it until I just unsubscribe from the thread and hurl curses upon you from afar. He and I have been able to sort out our differences by completely ignoring them-- can't you and I do the same...? For the sake of the act-- the Chris and Mike Show-- we have to get past this.[/quote:17bf926c19]

The connection comes from the only reason I know of these authors is through gaming. If I had never gamed I would have never heard of Salvatore or Lovecraft. And just to clarify that it is Lovecraft's writing I don't like, I'm sure he was a fine gentleman and all the rage at parties. And we do have to thank him for the Mythos which provides many "Cthullu for president" jokes which we need during the election.[/quote:17bf926c19]

Oh, Now you did it. Salvatore and Lovecraft? Where the hell is did that come from? Lumping Salvatore with Lovecraft is like vomit and eggs.

Now mind you, sometimes the eggs are a bit powdered, because every hack job on earth has said, 'hehehehehe Lovecraft is *cool* to *more Lovecraft* will be even cooler!"

Of course, they don't write Lovecraft. They write Lovecrap, and then sully the name.

So, lets get the analogies right:

Lovecraft -> Poe

Salvatore -> Harlequin Romance.

cczernia

Post by cczernia »

Lovecraft -&gt]

Ok, now I do like Poe and I would have heard of him outside of gaming circles. Unlike Lovecraft who is inside gaming circles. As a matter of fact if I kept my reading to gaming circles only I would have never heard of Poe.

I would compare Lovecraft more to Horace Walpole who helped define a genre but certainly wasn't the best in it. Where Poe is the top writer of his genre...

Which now that i think of it I can't think of any other great horror authors. So, maybe i just don't like the literary horror genre.
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
BreakfastOfChampions

[quote="cczernia"][quote:2662d7bf60="BreakfastOfChampions"]

Lovecraft -&gt]

Ok, now I do like Poe and I would have heard of him outside of gaming circles. Unlike Lovecraft who is inside gaming circles. As a matter of fact if I kept my reading to gaming circles only I would have never heard of Poe.

I would compare Lovecraft more to Horace Walpole who helped define a genre but certainly wasn't the best in it. Where Poe is the top writer of his genre...

Which now that i think of it I can't think of any other great horror authors. So, maybe i just don't like the literary horror genre.[/quote:2662d7bf60]

I could make some snide comment about good horror and Vampire players, but my love of the Chris and Mike show holds me back. ;)

Clive Barker, for starters? Granted, he's much more modern than anything mentioned yet.

Lovecraft very much has a following outside of gaming circles. :)
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

I could make some snide comment about good horror and Vampire players, but my love of the Chris and Mike show holds me back. ]

Yep, I just don't like the literary horror genre. Though I do like gothic literarture. Probably has something to do with good horror and Vampire players.
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="cczernia"]Yep, I just don't like the literary horror genre. Though I do like gothic literarture. Probably has something to do with good horror and Vampire players.[/quote]

Would Stoker and Shelley be considered gothic or horror?

As far as more recent horror authors, I think really early Stephen King is pretty decent. I'm talking Salem's Lot, The Stand, The Dead Zone, and some of the stuff he wrote under the name Richard Bachman. Pretty creepy stuff. Later stuff not so good.

I've read some Dean Koontz, but was never terribly thrilled by him.

BreakfastOfChampions

[quote="mordraine"][quote:679dee2908="cczernia"]Yep, I just don't like the literary horror genre. Though I do like gothic literarture. Probably has something to do with good horror and Vampire players.[/quote]

Would Stoker and Shelley be considered gothic or horror?

As far as more recent horror authors, I think really early Stephen King is pretty decent. I'm talking Salem's Lot, The Stand, The Dead Zone, and some of the stuff he wrote under the name Richard Bachman. Pretty creepy stuff. Later stuff not so good.

I've read some Dean Koontz, but was never terribly thrilled by him.[/quote:679dee2908]

Didn't Koontz do "Flowers in the Waaah!tic" or something like that.

King is good, though not always. Does have bouts of creepy imagry. I thought of mentioning Shelly, but I actually got introduced to shelly as part of a science fiction class.

Stolker is alwas good gothic horror. Perhaps that's the problem. Lovercraft is not gothic.

mordraine

Post by mordraine »

Koontz didn't do "Flowers in the Attic". That was V. C. Andrews. Isn't that more of a child abuse story than a horror story?
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

Yes I edited your posts. Mostly for the inflamatory Gotetsu and BoC esque commentary.

On topic: I actually had a discussion about HP Lovecrank and his impact on horror genre recently at a party i went to. He was more or less compared to JRR Tolkein in the sense that he created a world of sorts. Major difference is that HP Lovespank wrote so vaguely and his material was given as an open source for other writers to add upon to make his Cthulhu Mythos. Kinda like D20 OGL...which may be another reason to not like it. August Dereleth wrote the mythos more clearly than HP Lovespam as did other authors like Brian Lumley. Which is why watching Hellboy screamed it for me.
Stephen King also used the mytho's in his short stories...As for books I'm not sure if Langoliers were used the same way. I did not read the book.

'Flowers in the Attic' was by VC Andrews

carry on
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="Skyman"]Yes[i] I edited your posts. Mostly for the inflamatory Gotetsu and BoC esque commentary[/i].[/quote]
Aw... me and Gotetsu, we're cool! We're bricks!

Oh, wait... you didn't edit anything I wrote. Never mind.

Mike Olson
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="BreakfastOfChampions"] I thought of mentioning Shelly, but I actually got introduced to shelly as part of a science fiction class.

Stolker is alwas good gothic horror. Perhaps that's the problem. Lovercraft is not gothic.[/quote]

Agreed 100%. Paladori was more Gothic than Shelly who I hate to stick in a box. This is also why I prefere the writings of Poe and Hawthorne over Lovecraft.

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
BreakfastOfChampions

[quote="mordraine"]Koontz didn't do "Flowers in the Attic". That was V. C. Andrews. Isn't that more of a child abuse story than a horror story?[/quote]

That's right Dean Koontz did crap like Whipsers?

Man, why doesnt' this guy stick with me?

Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

[quote="BreakfastOfChampions"][quote:c813e354e8="mordraine"]Koontz didn't do "Flowers in the Attic". That was V. C. Andrews. Isn't that more of a child abuse story than a horror story?[/quote]

Man, why doesnt' this guy stick with me?[/quote:c813e354e8]

Dude don't feel bad. I read one of his books and I don't remember it either

BreakfastOfChampions

[quote="Skyman"][quote:c0a085ba93="BreakfastOfChampions"][quote:c0a085ba93="mordraine"]Koontz didn't do "Flowers in the Attic". That was V. C. Andrews. Isn't that more of a child abuse story than a horror story?[/quote]

Man, why doesnt' this guy stick with me?[/quote:c0a085ba93]

Dude don't feel bad. I read one of his books and I don't remember it either[/quote:c0a085ba93]

Oh yeah, and VC andrews was the child abuse, incest, horrible parent story. I mean, if there's a family dysfunction, it happened to them.

Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

So you guys got me wondering? If Lovecraft is not Gothic but Poe is? What is Gothic? Speaking of authors, who's Goth?...Ann Rice more Goth than Clive Barker?
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

*clapping hands together like a blackjack dealer in Vegas*

I'm out.
Mike Olson
BreakfastOfChampions

Who's goth? Whoever wears the most mascara.
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="Skyman"]So you guys got me wondering? If Lovecraft is not Gothic but Poe is? What is Gothic? Speaking of authors, who's Goth?...Ann Rice more Goth than Clive Barker?[/quote]

Good question. Gothic canon puts "Castle of Otronto" as the first gothic novel. What made it gothic? Well, large stone churches with gargoyles (ie, gothic architecture described in the novel). But not all gothic stories have gothic architecture. They also presented an extremely disfuntional family that was being haunted by a ghost that possessed some old armor.

So you have that whole interal horror angst going for it. So, there isn't so much an external horror, but an internal horror or a horror that is close but not obvious. It focuses more on the idea that the supernatural weakens the horror but can still be used as a vehicle to present it.

Let me see if I can come up with some books:

Castle of Otronto

Valthek <sp>

The Vampir

Frankenstein

Turn of the Screw

The Lottery

The Yellow Wallpaper

Anything by Poe

A bunch of stories by Nathanial Hawthorne

And yes, Anne Rice

In all honestly I couldn't say about Dracula because I've never read it. But I suppose it should be in there.

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

The yellow wallpaper and the lottery are short stories or is there books with those titles? So maybe it's introspective metaphorical angst with decayed romantisism :?
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="Skyman"]The yellow wallpaper and the lottery are short stories or is there books with those titles? So maybe it's introspective metaphorical angst with decayed romantisism :?[/quote]

Yes, I was referring the short stories. That is a good way of putting it.

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

To get back on track I found this on scifi.com:

Lovecraft Films Honored

urker Films announced that it hosted the 11th annual H.P. Lovecraft Film Festival at the Hollywood Theater in Portland, Ore., Oct. 1-3. Lurker Films (formerly Beyond Books) was founded in 1995 by Andrew Migliore to promote films and television shows directly or indirectly inspired by Lovecraft's work.

The festival—a celebration of cinema based on, inspired by, or otherwise loosely affiliated with seminal Gothic horror writer H.P. Lovecraft—will host hundreds of attendees from the U.S. and Canada, the company said in a press release. Five full-length films will be screened: The Resurrected, Dead & Buried, The Crimson Cult, The Last Wave and Quatermass 2. The festival will also feature short films, musical guests, vendors and prize drawings.
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

[quote="cczernia"]To get back on track I found this on scifi.com:

[i]Lovecraft Films Honored

urker Films announced that

The festival—a celebration of cinema based on, inspired by, or otherwise loosely affiliated with seminal Gothic horror writer H.P. Lovecraft—.[/i]
[/quote]

Hey they said HP was Goth...Ok I wont go there. Cool, never heard of those films.

Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

here is a link to the film festival

http://www.hplfilmfestival.com/schedule.htm
Old Gamer From the Sea
One-Armed Skeleton

Thanks for the link.

Maybe I'll check it out next year.
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

It's funny that a thread about Cthulhu's Testicles has gotten so long.
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

[quote="mordraine"]It's funny that a thread about Cthulhu's Testicles has gotten so long.[/quote]

I hear Cthulhu is well endowed like that