Questions about D&D books and D20 books...

A D&D campaign in a unique setting, run by Plaidrhino.
Digital_Boy
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Digital_Boy »

Crusing the swapmeet section, I see someone selling some D20 books. Is D20 the system that Wizards replaced the classic D&D system with, or ???

That said, would I be wiser to get the 3.0 editions used, or wait for the next release?
plaidrhino
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by plaidrhino »

Used is fine though be aware that we use a mix of 3.0 and 3.5. Either set of books should be fine though as there are plenty of the others floating around that can be used. Come to think of it, I have my copies of 3.0 that I would be willing to part with (unless of course, the person is smartmonkey...i'm not that evil as to steal a sale from under his nose....on second thought...)

And yes, the D20 books are from WoTC if they are specifically referring to D&D. Because of the OGL there are a lot of other D20 books out there though that seriously lack quality.
Some people are like Slinkies ... Not really good for anything...... But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Wintermute
Dessicated Mummy

Post by Wintermute »

I'd recommend picking up the 3.5 player's handbook. As I recall, amazon.com has it for super cheap, and imho 3.5 is better since they made some rules revisions.
"The sidhe cell sells sea shells down by the sea shore."
-Mordaine, running a Changeling game
Digital_Boy
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Digital_Boy »

I'm guessing the G is for gaming, so it's a gaming standard for rules and stats to ensure compatibility between game systems, like being able to run your GURPS character in D&D or C&S, etcetera?

I'll check Amazon then.
Wintermute
Dessicated Mummy

Post by Wintermute »

Actually the OGL is more like Open Souce code (ala Linux). Here's the OGL from Wizards of The Coast (owners of the D&D license).
"The sidhe cell sells sea shells down by the sea shore."
-Mordaine, running a Changeling game