what rpgs did santa bring you?

Completely off-topic.
jimmy corrigan

what rpgs did santa bring you?

Post by jimmy corrigan »

devlin1, the generous, got me three sweet traveller modules circa 1980s by judges guild. and though not technically rpg-related mordraine, the also generous, got me a shiny bender fig from futurama that proudly adorns my desk at work. actually, scratch that. the bender fig will be rpg-related when i use it as a mini in dev's spirit of futurama game, should he decide to run it again. and although they were technically christmas gifts to myself, i just got eternal rome, trojan war, and hamunaptra in the mail from the paizo order i placed a while back.

what'd you loot?
Dragonkin
Pitchfork Wielding Peasant

Post by Dragonkin »

I didn't get anything playable, but I did get Wizards Presents: Races & Classes and The Grand History of the Realms. While WP: R&C doesn't have any actual crunch, the story elements and walk through some of the design process is actually very interesting. I recommend GHotR to any fan of the Forgotten Realms who would like a comprehensive timeline for major events in Faerun. In addition to the timeline, there are also some interesting sidebars which deal with various major events in the history of Toril.

Yeah, Zelda's hot, but Samus does that thing with her gun . . . . :naughty::eek:

Wanna know what Colorado gamers think? Check it out!
Illuman23
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by Illuman23 »

I got an I-pod Touch, and Gabe got a Wii! That's almost RPG related...
lu lu lu I've got some apples
lu lu lu You've got some too
lu lu lu Let's make some applesauce
Take off our clothes and lu lu lu
--Butters

<FNORD>
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

[quote="Illuman23"]I got an I-pod Touch, and Gabe got a Wii! That's almost RPG related...[/quote]

I think those are better than anything RPG related....

Whenever I get confused about D&D alignment morality, I just imagine Abraham Lincoln and Mahatma Ghandi arm wrestling shirtless on the back of a killer whale.

In other words, I remember that it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense and deal with it best I can.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

I didn't get any RPG stuff, because no one ever fuckin' gets me shit that I'd, y'know, want. I'm not complaining, because I got other stuff I like and appreciate, but every year I avoid giving my family the obvious gift ideas in the hope/expectation that they'll be able to figure it out, based on the knowing me and all, but no. This chagrins me every year, but I've finally figured out to just buy the stuff I want outright instead of relying on my family (whom I love, don't get me wrong) to make some educated guesses. Like, the one thing I asked for -- the Twin Peaks Gold Box Set -- was declared unfindable, so sometime this week I'll walk into a store and just buy it over the counter (or go through Amazon or whatever -- point is, it's eminently findable). It's not that I don't get good things; last year I got an iPod, and that was a really great surprise, but it wasn't something I would've asked for or thought I wanted.

All right, enough of sounding spoiled and ungrateful.

I've bought a ton of RPG stuff for myself this month -- well over a thousand dollars' worth, albeit it at a heavy discount. Today I bought more: two more Blue Planet splats, Swords of the Middle Kingdom (another wuxia game), a supplement and an adventure for The Dark Eye (purely to review, but for a few bucks, why not?), and the recent revamped boxed set of The Wilderlands of High Fantasy.
Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
Spirit of the Blank: A blog.
Roll Some Dice: Another blog.
Barrier Peaks

Post by Barrier Peaks »

Hey, hey. We're in California for the holiday (heading back to the Land of Chill tomorrow). This marks the first year I didn't get a single RPG product for Christmas (unless you count a pack of Force Unleashed minis, which I don't). Lots of DVDs, though, and some books to add to my Star Wars research library.

Funny, my Amazon wishlist has a lot of RPG stuff on it. ;)
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

No gifts but I got myself "Cthulhu Tech" which is a beautiful book, cool if not wonky setting, and slow and clunky system.
constraints breed creativity
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="cczernia"]No gifts but I got myself [b]"Cthulhu Tech"[/b] which is a beautiful book, cool if not wonky setting, and slow and clunky system.[/quote]
Wonky, slow, [i]and [/i]clunky? All right!

Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="devlin1"]Wonky, slow, [i]and [/i]clunky? All right![/quote]

It's exactly what I look for in a game.

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
Illuman23
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by Illuman23 »

[quote="cczernia"]It's exactly what I look for in a game.[/quote]

Here's a quote from the CthuluTech web page:

[Quote=www.Chtulutech.com]Framewerk, the proprietary system upon which CthulhuTech is built, is not only simple and intuitive, it is cinematic, exciting, and puts destiny back in the hands of the player. Its easy to grasp nature makes the game straightforward to learn and quick to start. Its clever dice mechanics make even the simplest of task resolutions exciting.[/quote]

So how did they go from cinematic, exciting, straightforward to wonky slow and clunky?

lu lu lu I've got some apples
lu lu lu You've got some too
lu lu lu Let's make some applesauce
Take off our clothes and lu lu lu
--Butters

<FNORD>
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="Illuman23"]
So how did they go from cinematic, exciting, straightforward to wonky slow and clunky?[/quote]

Well, the game designers are never going to say they came up with a slow system.

Here is the die mechanic. Take a dice pool of d10s equal to your skill. You have three choices as what to do with this die pool

1. Take the largest number

2. Add together any pairs (6+6+6=18)

3. Add together a straight of numbers (4+5+6 = 15)

I have yet to play this game but that mechanic seems slow as you have to spend time to figure out how to get your number. Also, in combat you roll to attack, defend, damage, and armor soak. That is four rolls using the above die mechanic.

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="cczernia"]3. Add together a straight of numbers (4+5+6 = 15)[/quote]
Ah! Finally a dice mechanic that uses sequences! I made a kung fu style for WotG that used sequences instead of matches, but it looks like CthulhuTech's gone one better and instituted a dice mechanic that uses [i]three [/i]mechanics simultaneously.

Mike Olson
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="devlin1"]Ah! Finally a dice mechanic that uses sequences! I made a kung fu style for WotG that used sequences instead of matches, but it looks like CthulhuTech's gone one better and instituted a dice mechanic that uses [i]three [/i]mechanics simultaneously.[/quote]

I don't know how it will play out. It is more the four roll combat system that I'm worried about (it is slow in oWoD and Fading Suns). I'll have to give it a try.

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="cczernia"]I don't know how it will play out. It is more the four roll combat system that I'm worried about (it is slow in oWoD and Fading Suns). I'll have to give it a try.[/quote]
It sounds like it'd work better using an ORE-like mechanic that extracts different results from the same die roll. E.g., matches to hit, sequences to soak, high roll for damage.

Mike Olson
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="devlin1"]It sounds like it'd work better using an ORE-like mechanic that extracts different results from the same die roll. E.g., matches to hit, sequences to soak, high roll for damage.[/quote]

I agree. I'm currently reading the setting info and haven't read in detail the rule stuff so it might surprise me but I think an ORE like system would have been ideal for this game.

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup