We Hatess Them

Completely off-topic.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

We Hatess Them

Post by devlin1 »

Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
Spirit of the Blank: A blog.
Roll Some Dice: Another blog.
Andok
Pitchfork Wielding Peasant

Post by Andok »

[quote]Other scientists were amazed that a human-like creature could survive with such a small brain.[/quote]

Those scientists have obviously never been to Washington, DC. :razz:

Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish. ~ Euripides
Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

[quote="devlin1"][url=http://news.independent.co.uk/world/science_technology/article318883.ece]Oh, come [i]on[/i].[/url][/quote]

What? They're little, they're at least human like, and they don't have any of the telltale signs of a colony of dwarves, what would YOU have called them?

Actually, they wonder if they didn't just shrink to fit their environment and its available resources. It's been observed in animals, but they didn't know people could do it. I think that's pretty spiffy, even if they DID nickname it a hobbit.

"I need no mask to speak with you. Unlike my brother. I create my own personality. Personality is my medium."

--Neuromancer, William Gibson
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

pretty nifty. i wish i was a 3 foot hominid living in a cave, hunting miniature elephants...

anyone up for a game of middle earth?
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

I think what devlin meant was : Everyone knows Hobbits are English not Indonesian. So... C'mon!
Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="mordraine"]I think what devlin meant was : Everyone knows Hobbits are English not Indonesian. So... [i]C'mon![/i][/quote]
Actually, I meant, "When are we going to stop discovering new species? Where will it end? This shit is ridiculous! [i]C'mon![/i]"

Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

[quote="devlin1"]Actually, I meant, "When are we going to stop discovering new species? Where will it end? This shit is ridiculous! [i]C'mon![/i]"[/quote]

Could be a while. It's hard to look for something if you don't know that it ever existed.

"I need no mask to speak with you. Unlike my brother. I create my own personality. Personality is my medium."

--Neuromancer, William Gibson
plaidrhino
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by plaidrhino »

On a side note I discovered a new species of grasshopper while doing some neurobiology research in the Isles of Shoals. The course ended after 2 weeks and the professor took over the classification and naming of it. I never got on lick of credit other than brief mention in the Cornell University and University of New Hampshire science department newletters.
Some people are like Slinkies ... Not really good for anything...... But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

[quote="plaidrhino"]On a side note I discovered a new species of grasshopper while doing some neurobiology research in the Isles of Shoals. The course ended after 2 weeks and the professor took over the classification and naming of it. I never got on lick of credit other than brief mention in the Cornell University and University of New Hampshire science department newletters.[/quote]that's frackin' cool! what other entymological coursework have you had?
smartmonkey
Dessicated Mummy

Post by smartmonkey »

[quote="Andok"]Those scientists have obviously never been to Washington, DC. :razz:[/quote]

Laugh point.

Email: Morgangilbert01 @ gmail.com

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/people/Morgan_Gilbert/577987881

"If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable."
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="Andok"]Those scientists have obviously never been to Washington, DC. :razz:[/quote]
Yes, it's almost as if the author wanted people to make that joke. "Hey, Jon Stewart! Check out this straight line!"

Mike Olson
plaidrhino
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by plaidrhino »

[quote="jimmy corrigan"]that's frackin' cool! what other entymological coursework have you had?[/quote]

I haven't really had much in the way of direct entomology. A lot of it stemmed from zoological studies that included sections on entomology. Probably the most insightful were the Comparative Anatomy class and the Neurobiology of Animal Behavior course mentioned previously. Only reason I had come across the new species was because, for my course dissertation, I had chosen to study the differences in grasshopper behavior between those that made their home in grassy areas versus those that made their homes on the beach.

Some people are like Slinkies ... Not really good for anything...... But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

sounds like fun. right now my friend at ucsd is working on a phd in computational neuroscience where he uses cerebral tissue of mice to model synaptic pulses with a computer. i'm probably not translating what he does very well, but from the sounds of it he's having a good time. i wish i could go travel around studying grasshopper brains. *sigh*
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

[quote="jimmy corrigan"]sounds like fun. right now my friend at ucsd is working on a phd in computational neuroscience where he uses cerebral tissue of mice to model synaptic pulses with a computer. i'm probably not translating what he does very well, but from the sounds of it he's having a good time. i wish i could go travel around studying grasshopper brains. *sigh*[/quote]
JC, Sounds very cool no matter how correct it is. Speaking of friends doing stuff. I've got a friend chasing down new species of reptiles and such in South America rainforest. [url]http://www.lizardchasers.org/[/url]

Site is under construct but theres stuff there. He's told me that his students and him have found new species couple of times. I think he gives the students credit for the find if it happens, with himself included of course.

PlaidR That's a drag you didn't get any credit for the discovery. BTW, I assume, it was a study paper of some sort for a class I take it and not a dissertation for a PhD? Or was it the other way around?

plaidrhino
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by plaidrhino »

[quote="Skyman"]JC, Sounds very cool no matter how correct it is. Speaking of friends doing stuff. I've got a friend chasing down new species of reptiles and such in South America rainforest. [url]http://www.lizardchasers.org/[/url]

Site is under construct but theres stuff there. He's told me that his students and him have found new species couple of times. I think he gives the students credit for the find if it happens, with himself included of course.

PlaidR That's a drag you didn't get any credit for the discovery. BTW, I assume, it was a study paper of some sort for a class I take it and not a dissertation for a PhD? Or was it the other way around?[/quote]

Thats really cool SKyman...I eat all this stuff up. Great to read and see those photos. As far as mine is concerned. It certainly wasn't a PhD level dissertation. It owuld fall more under the category of a study paper. The courses offered stem from a joint effort between Cornell University, University of New Hampshire, and a school in the UK which escapes me at the moment. It entailed intensive studies 10-14 hrs a day/7days a week for 2 weeks. After the study times were up we had to work on out course project (the dissertation as they called it). Overall, one of the best experiences I have had.