The Media or the American Public

Nuke an unborn gay whale... for Jesus!
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

The Media or the American Public

Post by Count Zero »

Okay, so I found this on one of the blogs I read. It shows the comparison of the U.S. Time and Newsweek covers compared to the covers for the rest of the world. The more I see this sort of stuff, the more I start to wonder if Americans are just short sighted, small minded idiots or the media just doesn't realize what it should be doing in this country. If it isn't the Anna Nicole Smith death, it is the story about an Astronaut shitting herself on a jealously filled road trip to Florida.

So is this the media assume we don't care about anything that really matters... like the Taliban taking over Pakistan and getting a nuclear weapon, or are we really just this short sighted and petty that this is all we really care about?
Whenever I get confused about D&D alignment morality, I just imagine Abraham Lincoln and Mahatma Ghandi arm wrestling shirtless on the back of a killer whale.

In other words, I remember that it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense and deal with it best I can.
Dragonkin
Pitchfork Wielding Peasant

Post by Dragonkin »

Ah, another on the looooooooong list of "What's Wrong With American Culture." Americans, being the lazy, self-interested bastiches that we are, demand to be entertained in all things, including news. Rather than read (or hear, or watch) something of world-changing significance, we're more than happy to flip open (or over to) a pop culture magazine.

The mass media, not being stupid, and wanting to maintain sales and/or ratings, prints/broadcasts what the American public has made it clear thay want to see. Sure, they'll stick a quick blurb in there to cover really important news, but it's given a really low profile, so as not to distract the public from their fix.

The next question, I guess, is whether or not this is a reparable issue. Can the public be made to care about truly important issues? Tomorrow, on Jerry Springer (check your local listings).

Yeah, Zelda's hot, but Samus does that thing with her gun . . . . :naughty::eek:

Wanna know what Colorado gamers think? Check it out!
Drew

Post by Drew »

I have lived in England and Japan and the news is taken so much more seriously than it is here (for the most part). No bimbos giving the news. Granted they have centerfolds in their news magazines. :cool:

Given a chance, I'll still pick the BBC over any American news program/station. Well, except for fox on sheer entertrainment and a good dose of "what the fuck:question: ".
In an infinite universe anything is not only possible, it's inevitable.
Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

I enjoy NPR. I enjoy the CSM. I think they're both doing important and good work. They're both bunches of Americans (and others) doing right by the news.
"I need no mask to speak with you. Unlike my brother. I create my own personality. Personality is my medium."

--Neuromancer, William Gibson
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

[quote="Count Zero"]
So is this the media assume we don't care about anything that really matters... like the Taliban taking over Pakistan and getting a nuclear weapon, or are we really just this short sighted and petty that this is all we really care about?[/quote]

I think it's the media. We as American's are perfectly able to watch and read this kind of news. The media feeds us the shit, and then says "Well, look, the shit get's all the sales and ratings."

Chris

Follow my attempt to convert Torg to Savage Worlds!
Drew

Post by Drew »

[quote="BlanchPrez"]I think it's the media. We as American's are perfectly able to watch and read this kind of news. The media feeds us the shit, and then says "Well, look, the shit get's all the sales and ratings."

Chris[/quote]

You're absolutlely right. The media wants to feed us such utter drivel that we are shell shocked by the occasional reality bubble that gets though. They make it so the only good sources for news come to us from overseas or AM radio that way when they are ready to turn us over to our new alien overlords, they can simply cut off the outside lines of communication and jam AM radio frequencies.:mrgreen:

Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

Gah we're stupid!
Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

So let's test this. What /are/ Americans really reading? What news are they seeking out?

What were the last five news stories you read and what were their sources?

Mine:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6508909.stm (britain/iran, troops, seizing, international incident)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/6502725.stm (americans losing technology race)

http://www.csmonitor.com/2007/0329/p01s01-usfp.html (wtf to do about Pakistan)

http://dyn.politico.com/printstory.cfm? ... 6B532B8EC8
(republicans okay with pot, cats and dogs living together in sin)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 02057.html
(google tells viacom lawyer what's up in the wp)
"I need no mask to speak with you. Unlike my brother. I create my own personality. Personality is my medium."

Drew

Post by Drew »

[quote="Neuro"]So let's test this. What /are/ Americans really reading? What news are they seeking out?

What were the last five news stories you read and what were their sources?

[/quote]

I don't have the direct links but they all came from Yahoo. I just click on the headlines that I see on my email. Heh. I get a lot news from the Daily Show and Corbert Report. :)

Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

But what were you reading about?

Drew

Post by Drew »

Oh, yeah... :)

Mostly the British/Irian situation. About the withdrawl timeline bill...

And about a woman who was caught with six strap on crocs.:cheers:
Dragonkin

Post by Dragonkin »

Like Drew, I get my news via Yahoo. I tend to read varied stories, but I focus alot on the political and military doings of our country.

Yeah, Zelda's hot, but Samus does that thing with her gun . . . . :naughty::eek:

Wanna know what Colorado gamers think? Check it out!
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

I get all my news from Count Zero. :smile:

Chris
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

[quote="BlanchPrez"]I think it's the media. We as American's are perfectly able to watch and read this kind of news. The media feeds us the shit, and then says "Well, look, the shit get's all the sales and ratings."[/quote]

I agree there. I think we are more than willing to read real news if it is easy to get, but instead the stands at the grocery store are filled with tabloids.

Whenever I get confused about D&D alignment morality, I just imagine Abraham Lincoln and Mahatma Ghandi arm wrestling shirtless on the back of a killer whale.

In other words, I remember that it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense and deal with it best I can.
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

[quote="Neuro"]So let's test this. What /are/ Americans really reading? What news are they seeking out?

What were the last five news stories you read and what were their sources?[/quote]

Honestly, tracking down the links for the stories I read would be a little tough. Most of what I read is from blogs which mainly revolve around U.S. politics, but these blogs usually have links to other events around the world. It expands out from there. Most of it has revolved around the Federal Attorney scandal, events in Iraq, and following cultural stuff surrounding the Episcopal Church in Africa.

But now I think I will keep an eye on it just to make sure.

Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

[quote="BlanchPrez"]I get all my news from Count Zero. :smile: [/quote]

Sorry.. I just fun weird and interesting shit and want to share it.

Like this....[url=http://washingtonbureau.typepad.com/iraq/]Inside Iraq[/url]

J@ke
Starship Mechanic

Post by J@ke »

"Man, the government is gonna feel dumb when they see my search for 'the+government+sucks+dick.'"
Kevin Gander,Barber
Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

http://www.boingboing.net/2007/03/30/ny ... kdate.html

My favorite thing I've read so far today, relevant to media and media sources.

mordraine

Post by mordraine »

Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

I've been following this story even though it doesn't affect our pets (medicated cat food).

Also, this story holds interest for me.

And this was just too funny.

Chris
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

[quote="BlanchPrez"]And [url=http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11669242/]this was just too funny.[/url][/quote]

[quote]

Bill Donohue, head of the watchdog Catholic League, said it was "one of the worst assaults on Christian sensibilities ever."
[/quote]

I love when they quote Donohue like he is a normal regular guy. Why don't they just quote a bigot like David Duke and be done with it?

Illuman23
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by Illuman23 »

I tend to get a lot of news from bloggers.

Right now I'm really interested in the deflating housing bubble, and the general Macro-Economic status of the US and the world. I strongly suggest a review of http://www.itulip.com if anyone else is interested in finance and econ. Eric Janson's Anti Spin commentary about the latest economic news is really informative and well done.

Heres a link for a cool story: The ant and the grasshopper 2007
http://www.itulip.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1148[

I also like to see what's happening in the queer world. For that I checkout http://www.Queerty.com and sometimes TowleRoad.

I try to catch BBC News America, but it's so damn depressing. I also at least look at the top headlines in the American news feeds and click on the occasional interesting link.
lu lu lu I've got some apples
lu lu lu You've got some too
lu lu lu Let's make some applesauce
Take off our clothes and lu lu lu
--Butters

<FNORD>
smartmonkey
Dessicated Mummy

Post by smartmonkey »

I tend to hit the BBC when I want to read serious news. I listen to so much NPR, I don't usually miss anything huge.

As a bonus, I've never heard Anna Nicole Smith mentioned on NPR, ever. It's awesome.

I also tend to hit a few other sites for science news and reading.

If I'm in the mood for infotainment, I'll hit up fark, digg, or the smoking gun.
Email: Morgangilbert01 @ gmail.com

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/people/Morgan_Gilbert/577987881

"If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable."