French Riot in Train Station

Nuke an unborn gay whale... for Jesus!
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

French Riot in Train Station

Post by Count Zero »

http://edition.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/europ ... index.html

This and the 2005 riots seem to stem from discrimination in France, which from what I understand is very common. It is perfectly legal there to refuse to hire someone because they aren't French born. It sort of reminds me of the Watts Riots in 1965 on a basic level.
Whenever I get confused about D&D alignment morality, I just imagine Abraham Lincoln and Mahatma Ghandi arm wrestling shirtless on the back of a killer whale.

In other words, I remember that it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense and deal with it best I can.
smartmonkey
Dessicated Mummy

Post by smartmonkey »

The French right-wing has always had a thing about "french culture" - hell, these were the people that came up the the Academy - the guys that watched every new play and read every new novel before it could be released in france, then censored anything that wasn't French enough.

Fucking weird.
Email: Morgangilbert01 @ gmail.com

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/people/Morgan_Gilbert/577987881

"If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable."
Shin Kenshiro
Mustachioed Pugilist

Post by Shin Kenshiro »

So what exactly is the problem here?

Guy starts a fight because he doesn't want to show a ticket, police come by, people yell at the police for doing their jobs.
To know me is to fear me, to fear me is to be human
Dragonkin
Pitchfork Wielding Peasant

Post by Dragonkin »

[quote="Shin Kenshiro"]So what exactly is the problem here?

Guy starts a fight because he doesn't want to show a ticket, police come by, people yell at the police for doing their jobs.[/quote]

Sounds like New York or LA to me.

Yeah, Zelda's hot, but Samus does that thing with her gun . . . . :naughty::eek:

Wanna know what Colorado gamers think? Check it out!
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

[quote="Shin Kenshiro"]So what exactly is the problem here?

Guy starts a fight because he doesn't want to show a ticket, police come by, people yell at the police for doing their jobs.[/quote]

The ticket guy isn't the real issue. Who knows why they guy freaked out, might have to do with people tending to harasss minorities if he was one.

It is the riot that broke out afterwards. It is related to the riots of 2005. There are some really odd cultural things going on in France. Think the U.S. in the 60's

Whenever I get confused about D&D alignment morality, I just imagine Abraham Lincoln and Mahatma Ghandi arm wrestling shirtless on the back of a killer whale.

In other words, I remember that it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense and deal with it best I can.
Shin Kenshiro
Mustachioed Pugilist

Post by Shin Kenshiro »

I caught what you meant by that, except that France is incredibly different culturally than the US is. The 2005 riots were also fueled by Muslims who felt they were being discriminated against but were also 3rd generation immigrants who had refused to learn French and were living in France expecting that France should accomodate them and thinking France was going to be as flexible as the US is.

It's an entirely different country with a far far older culture with equally long traditions. It'd be more like the Watts riot if the blacks rioting in Watts spoke only Swahili and were demanding they should still be given equal opportunities for jobs while not being required to learn English for said jobs.

There was more to it, yes, but the majority of what went down in Paris during those riots was because of the Muslim situation.
To know me is to fear me, to fear me is to be human
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

[quote="Shin Kenshiro"]There was more to it, yes, but the majority of what went down in Paris during those riots was because of the Muslim situation.[/quote]

Add to the fact that most of the right wing in the France is pretty bigoted. I had this French neighbor that hated anyone of Arab descent.