Spell Trek

Discussion of all things relating to roleplay (Tabletop and LARP).
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

So, I was going through some of my old documents and I ran across this one called Spell Trek. Basicly, it was a parody of Star Trek done using the Spelljammer rules. I was planning on converting the whole thing into D20. Anyway, I was re-reading through the notes I had, and thought they were pretty funny. I figured that some of you (Lowly Uhlan) would agree with me, so I'm posting some of those notes here. :)

THE SPELL TREK UNIVERSE

The universe of Spell Trek is, for the most part, just like the standard Spelljammer universe. There are, however, some important differences. The first is that Spell Trek is a separate universe, so the standard D&D worlds that appear in Spelljammer, i.e. Grayhawk, the Forgotten Realms and Krynn, do not appear. The second major difference is that each of the different races originated on their own, separate home worlds. This is to say that each of the various races developed on a planet with none of the other races present. These are cosmetic differences, to be sure, but significant ones.

Of course, this being a Star Trek parody, there are many other changes that attempt to represent things from the Star Trek universe in a fantasy setting. For example, the spheres that the players will come from all belong to a large, inter-sphere government called the United Federation of Spheres. There are powerful magical devices that allow instant communication from one sphere to another and that can teleport players from their ship to the surface of a planet in the blink of an eye. And, of course, there is much more.

History of the United Federation of Spheres:

Nearly 500 years ago, in the sphere known as Humanspace, the human homeworld of Terra was in the middle of destroying itself. Centuries of warfare had led to the formation of two great empires, each controlling half the world, and each wanting nothing less than the total destruction of the other. However, the two sides were quickly running out of resources, and everyone grew tired of the fighting.

Then, a wizard who went by the name of Zigfried Hawking, created a device that would change things forever. He crafted the human’s first Spelljammer helm, allowing a small longboat Hawking had purchased, which he called Griffin, to escape the planet, and make it to the nearby moon. This in and of itself would have been more than enough to change the course of the planet, as everyone know new there was a way to gain new resources, and perhaps stop the war forever. However, also in orbit around the small moon was an Elven exploration ship, which also witnessed Hawking’s trip.

Having been spelljamming for centuries on their own, the elves were intrigued by a race that could create it’s own spelljamming helm. The captain ordered the explorer down at the same spot that Hawking landed, and first contact between the races began. The two races quickly discovered that despite their obvious differences, they had much in common, including a desire for peace and a passion to explore the universe.

Trading knowledge, goods and magic, the two races joined forces in exploring. Eventually, they discovered other races, Halflings, Dwarves and Gnomes. Humans also came in contact with a mysterious race that kept its ships sealed, known as the Drow. The incident went badly, and the two went to war with one another. The other races aided the humans in various ways, and eventually the war ended in negotiations via magical communication. The result of these negotiations was a string of spheres on the borders of the two races that was declared a Neutral Zone.

The other result of the war was that the five races realized that the universe was too dangerous a place to be alone in, and mutual cooperation and protections would benefit all. Thus, after much talk and negotiation, the United Federation of Spheres was born. With a unified government, it was decided that there needed to be a single, unified Armada, that would serve as an exploration and protection force. Thus was created Spellfleet.

With the birth of the UFS and the Spellfleet Armada, a new era of peace and discovery began. It all came to a crashing halt, however, with the discovery of a new race, the Orcs. A Spellfleet ship, the USJ Druid, landed on the world of the Orcs, where the violent Orcs attacked and killed the entire crew. Brutal as they were, the Orcs were also intelligent, and quickly discovered the secrets of spelljamming. They quickly set about attacking and conquering the nearby spheres, forming an empire, before they were finally defeated by Spellfleet.

This disaster led to the creation of Spellfleet’s Prime Ruling. This ruling states that there shall be no interfering with the natural development of pre-spelljamming races. Spellfleet continued to explore, but this time it did so with newer, better armed ships, and better trained crews. This was the time of the almost legendary ship, the USJ Venture, captained by Tiberious J. Kirkholm. That was over 100 years ago, and many discoveries were made, and the boundaries of known space was expanded.

Finally, nearly 75 years ago, peace was reached with the Orcs. Though there were still some tensions, both empires realized that continued hostilities were useless. With peace came a renewed interest in areas of magical development that were not concerned with defense. New magical items were created, such as the Recreaters, which could Create Food and Water for the crew, and the gnomish Illusion Decks, an entire room onboard a ship that could create realistic illusions, allowing crew members to feel like they were on the surface of a planet, while still being onboard.

As these magic items allowed crews to stay onboard ships for longer periods more comfortably, a new era of exploration and colonization began. A new ship type was created, the Crystal Sphere-class Whaleship, to take advantage of these new items. The first of these ships to be commissioned was the USJ Venture-D, the fourth ship to be named after Kirkholm’s legendary vessel. Captained by Jean-Paul Pasqual, the new Venture has become almost as much a legend as the original in the past few years, making contact with a strange, god-like race calling itself R, and being the first ship to run into a Formaian Pyramid ships.

New threats have also been discovered. There are the Illithids, a psychic race prone to taking slaves who recently fought a war with the UFS. There are also the Beholder clans, who, while not a unified empire, still pose a serious threat to the UFS. And of course there are the Drow, who, it was discovered, is an offshoot of the elven race from millennia ago. They have returned, and while not as overtly dangerous as before, may pose a more dangerous threat because of their devious ways. A new race has also made it’s presence known at the edges of known space, the Neogi. Apparently even more into keeping slaves than the Illithids, these spider-like aliens are hostile, but their true intentions are so far unknown.

Chris
Follow my attempt to convert Torg to Savage Worlds!
BreakfastOfChampions

Post by BreakfastOfChampions »

As a funny, non-serious game, this would be great!
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

Sounds interesting. I always liked Spelljammer in a wierd way. My only problem with this varient is I keep reading it as" Spell Check."
constraints breed creativity
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

[quote="cczernia"]Sounds interesting. I always liked Spelljammer in a wierd way. My only problem with this varient is I keep reading it as" Spell Check."[/quote]

::snicker::

Sorry, man... :lol:

So, is this your next One-Shot? Maybe using Dragonstar? :D

"Don't do that! I peed a little." - Cthulhu after Infernus made an impressive Intimidate roll.
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

[quote="Gotetsu"]So, is this your next One-Shot? Maybe using Dragonstar? :D[/quote]

Gods, no! First, I just thought this was funny, and wanted to share. Second, it would be MONTHS before I was ready to run it as a one-shot. Thirdly, Dragonstar would make it too much like real Star Trek, and take away from the joke.

Chris

Follow my attempt to convert Torg to Savage Worlds!
Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

[quote="BlanchPrez"][quote:701ea6c231="Gotetsu"]So, is this your next One-Shot? Maybe using Dragonstar? :D[/quote]

Gods, no! First, I just thought this was funny, and wanted to share. Second, it would be MONTHS before I was ready to run it as a one-shot. Thirdly, Dragonstar would make it too much like real Star Trek, and take away from the joke.

Chris[/quote:701ea6c231]

Oh... :cry:

"Don't do that! I peed a little." - Cthulhu after Infernus made an impressive Intimidate roll.