Hola, Howdy, Hi there!

Discussion of all things relating to roleplay (Tabletop and LARP).
Shijin

Post by Shijin »

Been in San Diego about 2 years and just heard about this place. Been unsucessfull so far in finding a good gaming group. Just sent a couple folks an e-mail in hopes of finding a 3e or 3.5 Game. I look forward to talking with you all and maybe someday meet.

Nathan
Lowly Uhlan
Wizened Witch

Post by Lowly Uhlan »

Welcome to the boards.
Conversely, Slayer never did any concerts with Christian rockers, Stryper.

(Kerry King stated:)"I would have been too worried that our fans would have killed their fans...and them."
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

Welcome to the boards...
Chulainn
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by Chulainn »

[quote="Count Zero"]Welcome to the boards...[/quote]

Yeah...what he said ! :withstup:

C

~twisting reality so you do not have to~
:nutkick:
"It's like rock, paper, scissors, crippling blow to the groin. Crippling blow to the groin always seems to win."- Wintermute
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

Welcome, welcome, welcome. :)

Chris
Follow my attempt to convert Torg to Savage Worlds!
BreakfastOfChampions

Post by BreakfastOfChampions »

Howdy Howdy.
Shijin

Post by Shijin »

Thanks for the Warm Welcome. Now if I could only find a group to game with on a regular basis Id be set:) Sent an E-mail to a guy I saw on the classifieds in the utc area hope it works out Its been almost 2 years and Im missing it bad. (D&D that is)

Nathan
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

Hi Welcome to the board of boards
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

Hi Shijin and welcome to the boards. I hope you find a gaming group. I hope also that you visit often.
Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
BreakfastOfChampions

[quote="Shijin"]Thanks for the Warm Welcome. Now if I could only find a group to game with on a regular basis Id be set:) Sent an E-mail to a guy I saw on the classifieds in the utc area hope it works out Its been almost 2 years and Im missing it bad. (D&D that is)

Nathan[/quote]

See now the question is, would you play something *other* than D&D? Not that I dislike D&D, but, well, okay, I do, but I realise that's my issue :). I think its the genre for me. I play and run d20 Modern and d20 Star Wars. We also have not one, but *two* groups that love to take new games/systems out for a spin and switch round and round on a regular basis.

So what about D&D is fun? The system? The genre? What I liked about D&D was the new system, as I thought d20 was a very clear fix over the old system, which was still quite playable.

Shijin

Post by Shijin »

Ive played alot over the years. Me and my group even tried a few other games that we wouldnt have normally played, we tried rifts, werewolf and vampire, and one other that escapes me right now. I think its more the genre for me. When I was in Colorado I Loved the renaissance festivals every year. I even worked a few weeks out of the year selling Swords for a local craftsman. Im not closed to other games but my main passion is really the genre.

I was in a Star Wars group for a few months when I first moved here to San Diego, with a bunch of friends from Sony, but people got promotions and it kinda faded away. I enjoyed it but with 2 small children Im only going to be able to find one day a week to play as it is.

Nathan

Again Thanks everyone for the warm welcome I think Im gonna like it here :)
BreakfastOfChampions

I was in an Ars Magica game and I think they did a really good job of making the genre really come alive -- so while I might be recovering from too many fantasy games (or is it I'm recovering from too many fantasy gamers? Gosh, I don't know!!) I think that when the genre is really leveraged well (who can resist the trials of two popes, and the inquisition, or resisting the viking invasions?) I think it can be hella fun.

Though, as has been pointed out, the combat system could get a little clunky when you had many combatants are going at it. Luckily, there were two people who *really* knew the system well, and two of us willing to wing it, so we could get thorugh the combat relatively unscathed.

I have this favorite essay which talks about the fantasy genre -- high fantasy in particular. I think it had one of the largest effects on the way I run and think about the fantasy genre.

http://www.sfwa.org/writing/thud.htm