The Conan thread

Discussion of all things relating to roleplay (Tabletop and LARP).
Lowly Uhlan
Wizened Witch

Post by Lowly Uhlan »

It's back up.
Conversely, Slayer never did any concerts with Christian rockers, Stryper.

(Kerry King stated:)"I would have been too worried that our fans would have killed their fans...and them."
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

Now it's back down again! rrr...
Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
Lowly Uhlan
Wizened Witch

Post by Lowly Uhlan »

And now...it's back up

(Kerry King stated:)"I would have been too worried that our fans would have killed their fans...and them."
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

Welcome to the Mongoose Message Boards, powered by YoYo Message Boards.

;)

Chris
Follow my attempt to convert Torg to Savage Worlds!
Lowly Uhlan
Wizened Witch

Post by Lowly Uhlan »

Strange. I've never had a problem logging on over there.

mordraine

Post by mordraine »

I don't get it. Every time I try to connect to the Mongoose site, it times out on me. I'll try it at home. *shrug*
Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
Lowly Uhlan
Wizened Witch

Post by Lowly Uhlan »

Lowly Uhlan
Wizened Witch

Post by Lowly Uhlan »

cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="Lowly Uhlan"]New wepons:

New feats:[/quote]

Now you are starting to sound like a d20 fanboy. :P

constraints breed creativity
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

Welcome to the Dark Side. :twisted:
"Don't do that! I peed a little." - Cthulhu after Infernus made an impressive Intimidate roll.
Lowly Uhlan
Wizened Witch

Post by Lowly Uhlan »

Kill me now.

BreakfastOfChampions

Post by BreakfastOfChampions »

I just got the Conan anthology and am reading it. Certainly makes waiting for the bus a lot easier!

Great stuff. I had forgotten how Lovecraftian some of the stories feel. I think the sense of horror and the unnatural is what's missing from a lot of stories these days.

I've been trying to steal some of that feel for my d20 Modern game. There's this setting 'Urban Arcana' which is where the fantastic bleeds into the real world, so you get things like Elves, Dwarves, and Goblins into the real world. On the surface, its totally cheese, and I couldn't stand it.

I still can't stand it, but I am letting some things bleed over. But if I ever use the word 'goblin' ever, without at least the first few encounters being a sense of dread and 'otherworldliness' then I think I'm doing something wrong.

Its kind of fun, skipping between NPCs, who are talking about the poor dog that got hit by the car, to the description of the creature with mauve skin, the flat, distended face with wet slobbery lips and rows of jagged teeth -- clearly having hands and feet instead of 'paws', and feral enough so that it uses the last of its living breath to try and bite off the hand of the person who tries to drag it off the road.

Fun stuff.
Lowly Uhlan
Wizened Witch

Post by Lowly Uhlan »

Yeah REH's freind Lovecraft had an influence on some of those stories. I think it's most pronounced in "The Tower of the Elephant". Yag-Kosha flew through space on his own, exiled by his fellow gods. It's otherworldly allright.

And snakes. I think REH had issues with snakes. They're everywhere. Where there's treasure you'll find a reptile. And monstruos apes. Gotta love it.

It's easy to see what a big influence REH had on fantasy literature. And fantasy gaming.

Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

[quote="Lowly Uhlan"]And snakes. I think REH had issues with snakes. They're everywhere. Where there's treasure you'll find a reptile. [/quote]

Well, he lived in west Texas. What do you expect? :D

"Don't do that! I peed a little." - Cthulhu after Infernus made an impressive Intimidate roll.
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="Gotetsu"][quote:352ab7372d="Lowly Uhlan"]And snakes. I think REH had issues with snakes. They're everywhere. Where there's treasure you'll find a reptile. [/quote]

Well, he lived in west Texas. What do you expect? :D[/quote:352ab7372d]

Probably had a bad experience with a Rattlesnake Roundup!!!

constraints breed creativity
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
Lowly Uhlan
Wizened Witch

Post by Lowly Uhlan »

Kind of funny to think of West Texas as an ispiration for some great Swords and Sorcery. But yeah, the region did inspire him.

BreakfastOfChampions

He lived in West Texas? I guess would have expected more gun racks, and chewin' tabbacy.
Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

Actually, Cross Plains is closer to central Texas. But I guess to Texans anything west of Dallas is "west Texas."
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

Hey, anyone else become a member of Sons of Cimmeria? Did y'all get any free goodies yet??
BreakfastOfChampions

[quote="mordraine"]Hey, anyone else become a member of Sons of Cimmeria? Did y'all get any free goodies yet??[/quote]

Free goodies!?! The Sons of Cimmeria don't get 'free goodies'. They strap on a broad sword and *take* free goodies.

Chulainn
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by Chulainn »

[quote="mordraine"]Hey, anyone else become a member of Sons of Cimmeria? Did y'all get any free goodies yet??[/quote]

yeah actually one freebie so far.....I downloaded it but have not looked at it as of yet. I think it was some adventure. They are going to be posting it in a few week as a PDF that you can buy as well. I can look it over later and let you know about if you are interested.

C

~twisting reality so you do not have to~
:nutkick:
"It's like rock, paper, scissors, crippling blow to the groin. Crippling blow to the groin always seems to win."- Wintermute
Chulainn
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by Chulainn »

and to add to my above post here is what the "Sons" received:

"As promised for the Sons of Cimmeria, your first feast!

This is a PDF scenario that will be appearing on RPGNow.com in a few weeks.
However, being the loyal Sons of Cimmeria you are, we are providing the
opportunity for you to grab this scenario for free.

However, this scenario will be going up as a paid-for publication and so we
can only offer it for a limited time.

'The Black Stones of Kovag-Re' "

C
"It's like rock, paper, scissors, crippling blow to the groin. Crippling blow to the groin always seems to win."- Wintermute
Lowly Uhlan
Wizened Witch

Post by Lowly Uhlan »

Haven't gotten mine yet. The first freebie is an adventure.

Chulainn
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by Chulainn »

[quote="Lowly Uhlan"][quote:cb4a9e3da2="mordraine"]Hey, anyone else become a member of Sons of Cimmeria? Did y'all get any free goodies yet??[/quote]

Haven't gotten mine yet. The first freebie is an adventure.[/quote:cb4a9e3da2]

It is a download from their website. Need the URL and the login to get it. You should of gotten an email telling you how to get it.

C

mordraine

Post by mordraine »

heh heh... I get my SoC notifications at my home email, which was probably dumb cuz I hardly ever check that email. My wife does and she didn't mention that I received anything from them. Just had my son check (he's home on spring break).

Anyway long-story-short, I just downloaded it.
Lowly Uhlan
Wizened Witch

Post by Lowly Uhlan »

So today I got both my SoC adventure (haven't read it yet) and Scrolls of Skelos. Skelos looks like one of those "here's what will scare the shit out of your players" books. Haven't perused it at length. The art is nothing to write home about (but color is always better). Good hooters though. A very cool supplement.

So I am currently reading the story "Black Colossus". The first thing I saw when I flipped throgh Skelos initially (opened it right to that page) were Natohk's stats. I like that a lot. 8)

Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

On a related topic, I just managed to pick up Dark Horse Comcs' Conan series. The first 2 issues are out, and they are FANTASTIC. Very Howard in feel, and they follow the storyline that Howard had planned out for Conan. In fact, issue 2 is The Frost Giant's Daughter, one of Howard's better stories, IMHO.

The art is wonderful, and the quality of the mag itself is excellent. Overall, a very good buy. I will be collecting this one for a long time to come. :D
Lowly Uhlan
Wizened Witch

Post by Lowly Uhlan »

I remember Barry Windsor-Smith's Marvel version of "Frost Giant's Daughter" .Very cool story (and comic adaptation). I don't know if you've picked up SoS yet, but Atali and her brothers are statted out in it.

Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

[quote="Lowly Uhlan"]I don't know if you've picked up SoS yet, but Atali and her brothers are statted out in it.[/quote]

No, I'm kind of on a hiatus from buying games right now. But I would love to eventually see those. :)

Lowly Uhlan
Wizened Witch

Post by Lowly Uhlan »

New goodies for the Sons of Cimmeria:

Got emailed an interveiw with the head of licensing for the Conan properties. Haven't read it yet, it covers wher the license is going.

8)

I love free stuff.

Lowly Uhlan
Wizened Witch

Post by Lowly Uhlan »

New Conan movie forthcoming.

New "adult themed" animated DVDs. I think the DVDs will be cool.

Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

More info please... :D
Lowly Uhlan
Wizened Witch

Post by Lowly Uhlan »

You're enrolled in Sons of Cimmeria, right?

Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

Uhhh...no...:oops:
Lowly Uhlan
Wizened Witch

Post by Lowly Uhlan »

You stil can reg, I think. Go to the Conan Forum over at Mongoose. If you don't I could email you some of the stuff. Can't beat free stuff. The adventure will be available to everyone else for $10. You'll get it for nothing.

Lowly Uhlan
Wizened Witch

Post by Lowly Uhlan »