Looks like the new WoD 2.0 art will suck...

Discussion of all things relating to roleplay (Tabletop and LARP).
smartmonkey
Dessicated Mummy

Post by smartmonkey »

They chose the lady that did the art directing for the Hunter lines to do it for WoD 2.0...

fucking idiots.
Email: Morgangilbert01 @ gmail.com

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/people/Morgan_Gilbert/577987881

"If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable."
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

From what I hear, she wasn't the art director for the corebook. She came to the Hunter line later.

So... like... chill dude.

;)
Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
smartmonkey
Dessicated Mummy

Post by smartmonkey »

Meh. The art in the later supplments got -marginally- better... but it -still- sucked...

mordraine

Post by mordraine »

You've seen the art samples right? Perhaps it's a bit goth, but it's far from sucky.
Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

[quote="smartmonkey"]Meh. The art in the later supplments got -marginally- better... but it -still- sucked...[/quote]

There's a difference between being an art DIRECTOR and being the artest. You do know that, right?

It doesn't do much good to be a great art director if you are forced to use bad art.

Chris

Follow my attempt to convert Torg to Savage Worlds!
smartmonkey
Dessicated Mummy

Post by smartmonkey »

I don't think anyone forced her to use bad art. WW uses freelance artists (well, mostly), and the AD -does- have some control in who she gets to choose from...

Maybe I just -really- don't like the preview artwork so far...

Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

I liked the art in the Core book. It wasn't so artsy and gothic, which reflects the game and its defference from the rest of the WoD games.

Just my $.02 :wink:
"Don't do that! I peed a little." - Cthulhu after Infernus made an impressive Intimidate roll.
smartmonkey
Dessicated Mummy

Post by smartmonkey »

Meh, when I read the hunter flavor text, I got an impression of a game where highly average people were suddenly given bizzare powers in an even more bizzare way, and given the motivation to fight monsters - and inevitably, they lose. It had a very dark, die-trying type feel to it - average people fighting the powers that be against all odds - that kind of deal.

And what do we get in the corebook for art?

Rambo. Killing zombies.

Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

Whatever, dude. We have had this discussion on this board before. And I am the only one that likes the art in the core book. Sorry if it's not angsty and negative enough for some people. :roll:

Besides, that's what you get for reading gaming fiction! :P
"Don't do that! I peed a little." - Cthulhu after Infernus made an impressive Intimidate roll.
smartmonkey
Dessicated Mummy

Post by smartmonkey »

... and purple prose fell like rain.

Anyways. I'm an idiot.

Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

[quote="smartmonkey"]Anyways. I'm an idiot.[/quote]

No use in overstating the obvious. :P

Actually, when this discussion came up last time, I cracked open the book and looked at the pictures. For the most part, the pictures are of average looking people [i]attempting [/i]to look bad ass. Many of them are gangsters and punks and bikers, but there's also a healthy dose of "Joes" (like the old man and the spoon, and the pregnant chick with the open purse). I think what they were trying to do was show you that just because you start out as an "average" person when you are imbued doesn't mean you have to remain an average looking person. Take an average person and give him powers and a violent manifesto, and his appearance is going to change.

Hunting and killing zombies in combat boots and fatigues seems a lot easier than doing it in Dockers and a polo shirt.

Edit: Think of Whistler from [i]Blade[/i]. He was an average joe before his family was killed. And look at him in the movies. Dealing with this shit probably changes your entire outlook. And I think that was what they were going or.

cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="Gotetsu"]
Actually, when this discussion came up last time, I cracked open the book and looked at the pictures. For the most part, the pictures are of average looking people [i]attempting [/i]to look bad ass. Many of them are gangsters and punks and bikers, but there's also a healthy dose of "Joes" (like the old man and the spoon, and the pregnant chick with the open purse). I think what they were trying to do was show you that just because you start out as an "average" person when you are imbued doesn't mean you have to remain an average looking person. Take an average person and give him powers and a violent manifesto, and his appearance is going to change.[/quote]

I thought the art managed to capture Hunter fairly. People stabbing Werewolves with spoons seemed to sum up the setting fairly well. Couldn't stand the game myself but I certainly wouldn't blame that on the art director.

If you want bad art open up the new Dragonlance books. Sort of captures that D&D 1st ed look.

constraints breed creativity
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
smartmonkey
Dessicated Mummy

Post by smartmonkey »

[quote]Sort of captures that D&D 1st ed look.[/quote]

Meh, some of the stuff in the 3.0/3.5 dragonlance stuff sucks... the cover, for one. Theres also some good stuff in there. Unforutunately, it's mostly stuff dealing with the crappier, newer series of books...

MarktheAnimator
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by MarktheAnimator »

xx
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

White Wolf has always had a mixture in the quality of art. The new Dragonlance book had a lot of images that hurt the eyes. I would use them unless they are trully that bad. You can always try and improve them in photoshop (use some filters to make them look "artsy", color them ex ex).

If you think the art would hurt the game you might want to balance it out and purchase some good pieces. If you have all bad art than it might hurt the game. If you have a mix it shouldn't matter.
constraints breed creativity
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup