E3

Discussion of all things relating to roleplay (Tabletop and LARP).
J@ke
Starship Mechanic

E3

Post by J@ke »

Anyone else following this? Looks like a lot of exciting stuff is happening this year. Thoughts on anything in particular?
PS3 $600.
Revolution is now Wii.
PS rips off Nintendo's controller.
"Man, the government is gonna feel dumb when they see my search for 'the+government+sucks+dick.'"
Kevin Gander,Barber
Wintermute
Dessicated Mummy

Post by Wintermute »

I can't believe they want $600 for the full-featured PS3. I had a PS2 on the day they came out, and that price is making me rethink getting a PS3. Certainly the market demographic is changing, but I don't know of many parents that'll be shelling out $600 for a video game machine.

Wii on the other hand is really intiguing me. Based on the extremely limited information I have so far, it's the system I think I'll wind up buying.
"The sidhe cell sells sea shells down by the sea shore."
-Mordaine, running a Changeling game
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

[quote="Wintermute"]I can't believe they want $600 for the full-featured PS3. I had a PS2 on the day they came out, and that price is making me rethink getting a PS3. Certainly the market demographic is changing, but I don't know of many parents that'll be shelling out $600 for a video game machine.

Wii on the other hand is really intiguing me. Based on the extremely limited information I have so far, it's the system I think I'll wind up buying.[/quote]

This seems to be the opinion of a lot of people. Nintendo may just win back some market share based on price point alone.

Now, if they could just get the mainstream market games.

Chris

Follow my attempt to convert Torg to Savage Worlds!
Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

That resolution's gonna last me right up until they release more final fantasy games for the PS*.

And even then 600 bucks might be the point at which I stick to my other hobbies. The house still needs painting, the closets still need cleaning, and I'm sure when that's done, other projects will call.

Six hundred bucks my ass.
"I need no mask to speak with you. Unlike my brother. I create my own personality. Personality is my medium."

--Neuromancer, William Gibson
J@ke
Starship Mechanic

Post by J@ke »

[quote="Neuro"]...at which I stick to my other hobbies. The house still needs painting, the closets still need cleaning, and I'm sure when that's done, other projects will call.[/quote]Gotta love a woman with her priorities straight.
"Man, the government is gonna feel dumb when they see my search for 'the+government+sucks+dick.'"
Kevin Gander,Barber
J@ke
Starship Mechanic

Post by J@ke »

The thing that struck me is that I don't think anyone will buy the $500 PS3. I'm having a hard time figuring out why they're even offering it. No wi-fi, no additional memory ports, no HDMI, 1/3 the hard drive. Who isn't going to come up with an extra $100 to get all that? I think this is all an effort to get the to take the market. How much is that blue-ray supposed to cost? $1,000? I currently have a xbox and a game cube. Up until now I was planing on getting a PS3 based strictly on the games that have been coming out on the current gen consoles. Shadow of the Colossus, Katamari Damashi, it seems like anytime I see a really interesting game come out it's for the PS. As of now the Wii looks like the winner for me. Personally I like the idea of playing games with people in person, like my wife. I just wish it had more "center of the living room" qualities.
Kevin Gander,Barber
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

My brother's roommate works for Nintendo in Seattle, and the Wii sounds really cool. I am looking forward to see it. The PS3 really doesn't interest me. In fact, I am rather bored with the Xbox 360, there are only so many FPS games I can play before I get a little tired of them.
Whenever I get confused about D&D alignment morality, I just imagine Abraham Lincoln and Mahatma Ghandi arm wrestling shirtless on the back of a killer whale.

In other words, I remember that it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense and deal with it best I can.
Wintermute
Dessicated Mummy

Post by Wintermute »

[quote="Count Zero"] there are only so many FPS games I can play before I get a little tired of them.[/quote]

:word:

"The sidhe cell sells sea shells down by the sea shore."
-Mordaine, running a Changeling game
J@ke
Starship Mechanic

Post by J@ke »

[quote="Count Zero"]In fact, I am rather bored with the Xbox 360, there are only so many FPS games I can play before I get a little tired of them.[/quote]
But playing them on the Wii would be cool right?

Kevin Gander,Barber
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

The prices of these game consoles makes me happy I've never gotten into game consoles.
Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

[quote="mordraine"]The prices of these game consoles makes me happy I've never gotten into game consoles.[/quote]

Yes, but your son has.

Chris

Follow my attempt to convert Torg to Savage Worlds!
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="BlanchPrez"]Yes, but your son has.

Chris[/quote]

This is true. And he just turned 16. Old enough to get a job and buy his own damn $600 PS3.

:biggrin:

Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
smartmonkey
Dessicated Mummy

Post by smartmonkey »

[quote="mordraine"]This is true. And he just turned 16. Old enough to get a job and buy his own damn $600 PS3.

:biggrin:[/quote]

Elite would hire him as an Usher. Not a bad job.

Oh, and fuck 600 dollars for a PS3.

Email: Morgangilbert01 @ gmail.com

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/people/Morgan_Gilbert/577987881

"If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable."
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

[quote="J@ke"]But playing them on the Wii would be cool right?[/quote]

Actually, what my brother's roommate mentioned was a fantasy game where the "motion sensitive" controller is a sword and the other half is the shield. So you get to look crazy in your living room while you fight a skeleton. Now that is cool.... and silly.

Whenever I get confused about D&D alignment morality, I just imagine Abraham Lincoln and Mahatma Ghandi arm wrestling shirtless on the back of a killer whale.

In other words, I remember that it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense and deal with it best I can.
Infernus
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by Infernus »

Just got back from E3, the show was interesting but there was more fluff this year than I hoped there would be.

PS3's $600 price isnt too different from Microsoft. When I bought my Xbox360, I paid $500 for the "Premium" system (code for the one which you are ripping yourself off not to buy), and then another $100 for the wireless connector. Now, I could have bought the $400 version, at which point finding a hard drive to use any of the market services would have ended up costing me even more. Or I could have passed on the wireless connector for wired, and added yet another cable to the monster behind my entertainment center. Now, it turns out I can pay $200 more for an external HD-DVD addon which will take up more of my shelf space. F that.

I see Sony's box as essentially the same price as the 360, but I get less choice as to my accessories. I dont really understand why they gimped the hell out of the $500 version, without HDMI output the Blu-Ray drive is sort of pointless. Then again...it's not to difficult to figure out why...an extra $100 at that point is certainly worth it.

The reality is the games are what matter. So far, the offering from the Wii is fairly light, but whats there is nice. Mario looks incredible, Zelda is pretty smooth, and Metroid looks like it was waiting for this controller to come along. The tennis and golf games are cute, but they leave the impression that this was more for the gimmick than the gameplay. Those games were built to show off the controller, instead of using the controller to show off gameplay. The Duck Hunt revival was funny, but not exactly revolutionary. The obstacle course (which I think was demo only) was largely annoying. Red Steel (the sword fighting/shooting game they are touting) was pretty cool, although FPS isnt really my genre.

PS3 had some interesting showings and some real stupid stuff. My opinion on the sense control is that as long as it isnt mandatory, I dont care what they do with it. The system isnt that well coded into Wrhawk, which I didnt get to play too long (although the game was fun if you ignore moving the controller). Heavenly sword reminded me alot of the God of War mechanics, although leading into some truly insane combinations. Assassin's creed is still all rendered footage, but the gameplay is being done by the same team who did the Prince of Persia games, which should be interesting. The Gundam game had a pretty minimal demo, it was just a standard level where you kill the AI bots. The controls were easy to pick up, but I wasn't too interested so I didn't spend too much time on it. Killzone looked good, but not as good as it did last year. Gran Turismo HD was looking smooth, better than PGR3 or GT4. The PSP integration is interesting, but as a Rear View mirror its just not too exciting. I was getting flashbacks to the horrible GBA/GameCube games.

EA has some really interesting titles coming out. They have the standard plethora of sports games, branded for the new year. Command & Conquer is coming back, alot like the early versions. It looked pretty cool, not like the Generals game which came out too long ago. Spore was interesting, the game looks like it could be really fun or really boring. They showed what looked like pre-rendered footage for a new Burnout game, which looked really nice.

SquareSoft is pimping out the Final Fantasy on every platform they can think of. DS is going to have Children of Mana, which was pretty entertaining, and Final Fantasy 3 (the Japanese version, not FF3 here) which I didnt get to play. PS2 has Final Fantasy 7, dirge of cerberus, which was kind of strange. Its a first person shooter game where you play as Vincent from FF7, and the controls weren't quite as sensitive as I would have liked. FF12 & 13 both played as pretty fun through the demo levels, although the 13 demo level was really short (and looked Incredible. I would have thought it was prerendered if I wasn't playing it).

The Warhammer 40k RTS game was on the floor, and looked nice. I didn't get the chance to play it too much, but it didn't look like it broke too much with standard RTS titles.

Neverwinter Nights 2 looked really sweet. The gameplay is pretty similar, but the graphics have been beefed up. The game looks really nice, and should be interesting to see how character creation and play differs.

World of Warcraft's expansion was a little disappointing. They showed off 2 new zones, which were not complete and had no maps. Forming groups was crashing the zone, but they did show off the new content from their upcoming patch. They may be waiting til after E3 to give more away on the expansion, but what they had felt very minimal.

Overall, was a cool show. Though the thing I remember the most was my splitting headache when I left.
Its never too early to be a bastard!
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

Anything interesting for the 360?

Infernus
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by Infernus »

Knew I was missing something ;) Yeah, although most of Microsofts shtick this year is their integration with the new "Games for Windows" thing, they did have some interesting 360 stuff.

Huxley by webzen is a massively multiplayer shooter, set in a huge ruined city. The PR guy shouting over the mic at webzen was annoying, so I didnt stick around too long, but the game was fun the round I played in. Sort of an Unreal feel to it, I shot a guy with a rocket and he was still going.

Theres footage of a new Call of Duty that looks pretty nice, although I didn't see a playable demo of it anywhere. They were pimping GTA 4 like there was no tomorrow, but I only saw about 30 seconds of footage (every 3 minutes).

Lot of new arcade style games, Uno, poker, blackjack. Lumines 2 with the HD videos streaming behind the game was pretty cool, Its essentially identical to the first one but using a normal size TV and a controller which wont turn your hand into a claw after an hour.

Forza looked like the best playable game, I had alot of fun just customizing my car before the guy told me to drive or give someone else the controller (seriously. WTF?).

Trailers for Halo 3, NG2, and Fable 2 were available but if they were playable I didn't see them. I wasnt really willing to wait for Stranglehold, the line was insane. There was a Tom Clancy shooter which looked really nice, I think it was rainbow six but might be wrong. Eragon was a surprise which I think is coming out for christmas, the game looked really cool.

And gears of war was just alot of fun. The demo level was really detailed and fun, and it was one of the first group shooters where I didnt feel like shooting an AI teammate for being stupid.
Its never too early to be a bastard!