Reverb Gamers - RPG Questions 6-10

Discussion of all things relating to roleplay (Tabletop and LARP).
cczernia

Reverb Gamers - RPG Questions 6-10

Post by cczernia »

Here is the next set of questions:

REVERB GAMERS 2012, #6: Describe your all-time favorite character to play. What was it about
him/her/it that you enjoyed so much?

REVERB GAMERS 2012, #7: How do you pick names for your characters?

REVERB GAMERS 2012, #8: What's the one gaming accessory (lucky dice, soundtrack, etc.) you just
can't do without? Why?

REVERB GAMERS 2012, #9: Have you ever played a character of the opposite sex. Why or why not?
If yes, how did the other players react?

REVERB GAMERS 2012, #10: Have you ever played a character originally from a book/TV/movie?
How did the character change from the original as you played? If not, who would you most like to
play?
cczernia

Re: Reverb Gamers - RPG Questions 6-10

Post by cczernia »

cczernia wrote:REVERB GAMERS 2012, #6: Describe your all-time favorite character to play. What was it about him/her/it that you enjoyed so much?
There have been many and I would have a hard time just naming one so I'll name my favorite recent character to play. The character is Basalla Fen-Hul, a halfling barbarian in Dark Sun. She came from the halfling tribes in the eastern forest and is vicious. She was also raped by the conqueror of her tribe before her father returned and used sorcery (considered evil) to wipe out most of the conquerors and the tribe itself.

The character is a ton of fun for multiple reasons: she was fun to a tribal in civilized society who was more violent than the average citizen. The complications of being pregnant (and later having a child and figuring out how to carry the baby around while adventuring). The character has grown and become less violent (I love it when character change and grow over time). The GMs (we frequently switch GMs, even in the same campaign) did a great job of bring in her back story and making it relevant. Of course using her powers in combat is fun, too.
cczernia wrote:REVERB GAMERS 2012, #7: How do you pick names for your characters?
Three ways I can think of: I just make them up, I use the Story-Games Naming Project book, or I used suggested names from source material of the game we are playing.
cczernia wrote:REVERB GAMERS 2012, #8: What's the one gaming accessory (lucky dice, soundtrack, etc.) you just can't do without? Why?
I don't think there is an accessory I can't live without but I love bringing game soundtracks to a session.
cczernia wrote:REVERB GAMERS 2012, #9: Have you ever played a character of the opposite sex. Why or why not? If yes, how did the other players react?
I play the opposite sex about 50% of the time. I find it fun and a challenge. Sometimes it is fun to play a female character. Sometimes I'm rounding out the party (if the rest of the party is males I'll play a female and vice versa). I'm also looking for relationship conflict and complications with other PCs and NPCs and find this easier if playing the opposite sex of other characters (weird I know, why can't I just be happy with killing things).
cczernia wrote:REVERB GAMERS 2012, #10: Have you ever played a character originally from a book/TV/movie?How did the character change from the original as you played? If not, who would you most like to
play?
I've only played licensed characters in oneshots and tried to play them to how I remember the character behaving. If I could play any licensed character it would probably be Malcolm Reynolds from Firefly.
Skyman
Proud Regent

Re: Reverb Gamers - RPG Questions 6-10

Post by Skyman »

REVERB GAMERS 2012, #6: Describe your all-time favorite character to play. What was it about
him/her/it that you enjoyed so much?
Daisy, the gloomy animated skeleton. I liked it because he had a nice back story and was friends with the teams robot. A bit of a sniper and fun to play.
REVERB GAMERS 2012, #7: How do you pick names for your characters?
I look around and see if something jumps out at me. I used to use to look at the ingredients of soda and food packaging for names. I had a half Ork named Benzoate
REVERB GAMERS 2012, #8: What's the one gaming accessory (lucky dice, soundtrack, etc.) you just
can't do without? Why?
Food. Good food. kinda gets me in the mood. Mostly when it's congruent to the game theme or genre
REVERB GAMERS 2012, #9: Have you ever played a character of the opposite sex. Why or why not?
If yes, how did the other players react?
Yes I have because women kick azz. It can be fun and it sets up different social situations for me to play out. Plus its fun to improvise certain physical attributes with discarded subway bags. Sometimes to the bewilderment of the other players. I think other players seem ok with it. Probably my most evil character was female. She started off on the good side but after awhile the dark side became too compelling to play out. That did not end well and I don't think folks liked her in the end
REVERB GAMERS 2012, #10: Have you ever played a character originally from a book/TV/movie?
How did the character change from the original as you played? If not, who would you most like to
play?
No. Although I have used templates of such for my character base Such as the evil female wizard I just mentioned above was a derivative of Harry Potter