Gamex 2011: It Never Ends

Discussion of all things relating to roleplay (Tabletop and LARP).
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Gamex 2011: It Never Ends

Post by devlin1 »

Seems like Hyphen-Con was just a few weeks ago, but get over that shit, because Gamex is right around the corner. Event submission closes May 5th or something, so what are people going to run?

Me, I'm going to run a session of Agents of F.A.T.E. and one or two sessions of Dungeon Patrol, my in-progress D&D hack of Danger Patrol. Not sure when any of those will happen; part of that's dependent on my Friday night plans (I may end up running more Keep on the Borderlands, if my tiny, nascent LA-area group of RPG virgins can make it).

As for what's caught my eye so far: Josh Roby's playtesting Vicious Crucible, the game he and Ryan Macklin are doing together, and Joe Goodman's doing a session of DCC Saturday afternoon that I'd like to play. Colin's threatened to run Dungeon World at some point during the weekend, but when that will be he's not sure, so I don't know what's going on there, and then Morgan will surely run something I'll want to play. And that isn't even taking into account any of the rest of you guys. One way or another, I think it'll be a full weekend.
Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
Spirit of the Blank: A blog.
Roll Some Dice: Another blog.
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

I plan on running the Firefly game from Hyphen-Con. I also planned on running Exalted using KFC Fate but I don't really have the time for that so something a little lighter. Maybe Zorzerer of Zoe.

Of course this is GameX so I'm considering running nothing because I've my bad luck at this con.
constraints breed creativity
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

cczernia wrote:I plan on running the Firefly game from Hyphen-Con. I also planned on running Exalted using KFC Fate but I don't really have the time for that so something a little lighter. Maybe Zorzerer of Zoe.
Zo would be cool. I imagine you'll get a healthy turnout for Firefly, especially using that new-fangled Cortex+.
Of course this is GameX so I'm considering running nothing because I've my bad luck at this con.
I guess so. All three Strategicons seem more or less identical to me -- I've never thought, "Oh, this is Gateway, so I should expect X."

Nobody else has plans to run something? The deadline to submit stuff is in three days! Game pre-reg starts Saturday (I guess)!
Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

I haven't even had the time or energy to *think* about it. I was going to run a Savage Alera game, but I haven't come up with any scenario ideas.

I also considered a Cthulhu Dark Laundry game too. But I dunno.

Chris actually cancelled all his games.
Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

mordraine wrote:I haven't even had the time or energy to *think* about it. I was going to run a Savage Alera game, but I haven't come up with any scenario ideas.

Chris actually cancelled all his games.
We're still going, right? Or am I going to have to have that hotel room all to myself?
Mike Olson
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

devlin1 wrote:We're still going, right? Or am I going to have to have that hotel room all to myself?
As far as I know, yeah.
Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

mordraine wrote:As far as I know, yeah.
Yep, we are still going.

I decided that I just have bad luck at GameX with running games. Last years con was the best one I had been to and I didn't run anything.
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

mordraine wrote:I haven't even had the time or energy to *think* about it. I was going to run a Savage Alera game, but I haven't come up with any scenario ideas.

Well, just register them with vague blurbs and think of something later. No problem!

Or come up with another Operation: Blackbird scenario. You already have the characters!
Mike Olson
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

Today's the last day to submit games! Anyone?

I'm running Dungeon Patrol Saturday night and Agents of F.A.T.E. Sunday morning. (And Keep on the Borderlands Friday night for my new occasional LA-based D&D group. Woot!)

It's a tight schedule for me. Ideally, it looks like this:

Friday Afternoon
Vicious Crucible

Friday Night
(D&D)

Saturday Morning
?

Saturday Afternoon
DCC

Saturday Night
Dungeon Patrol (me)

Sunday Morning
Agents of F.A.T.E. (me)

Sunday Afternoon
Morgan's DFRPG game

Sunday Night (sigh)
Dungeon World (Colin)

I really want to play Dungeon World, and that's the only time Colin's running it, so... enjoy Red Robin without me, fellas, and cross your fingers I don't get sick.
Mike Olson
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

Just finished pre-reging

Sat 9am - Dresden Files Kaboom
Sat 2pm - Exaltedville
Sat 9pm - I didn't pre-reg but seriously considering Houses of the Blooded larp

Sun 9am - Agents of F.A.T.E
Sun 2pm - MaoCT Candlewick Manor
Sun 8pm - Red Robin
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

cczernia wrote:Just finished pre-reging
Me too!
Sat 9am - Dresden Files Kaboom
Me too!
Sat 9pm - I didn't pre-reg but seriously considering Houses of the Blooded larp
That thing's going to be more popular than a [reference] in a [reference].
Sun 9am - Agents of F.A.T.E
Me too!
Sun 8pm - Red Robin
I'll call you at midnight with my favorite game of the con.
Mike Olson
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

devlin1 wrote: That thing's going to be more popular than a [reference] in a [reference].
I would like to try it as I have only tried a formal larp once and having recently done a Star Trek Murder Mystery larp run by Liz last week I'm up to trying again. My only issue is costumes and stuff like that. Not sure what is expected from players for a HotB larp.

devlin1 wrote: I'll call you at midnight with my favorite game of the con.
We'll message you when we go around the table :smile:
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
Drumheller
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Drumheller »

Greetings San Diegeons,

Many of you are members of the Dead Gamers Society, I like to invite you all to the DGS Membership Conclave at Gamex, Saturday from 6:00pm to 8:00pm.

Basically, it's a chance to socialize, talk the con, talk games and eat & drink. We'll have food, lots of Chinese food, so don't go eat at the nearby Subway or the lobby bar and it'll be free to all members* I dare say, a party might even break out.

You'll see the event listed on the Event schedule of the Stratcon website.

*If you're not a member of the DGS, you can still attend, the secret password to attend is "Blue Rose"
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

Drumheller wrote: I dare say, a party might even break out.

You'll see the event listed on the Event schedule of the Stratcon website.

*If you're not a member of the DGS, you can still attend, the secret password to attend is "Blue Rose"
Awesome, Blue Rose it is. Looking forward to it.
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

Gentlemen: The room's been secured and we're good to go. I'll see you tomorrow morning. Once more into the breach, my friends, once more. Cry Havok (the Marvel Comics character) and let slip the Dogs of W.A.R. (the Barbarians of Lemuria hack).
Mike Olson
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

Favorite game of the weekend!

I dunno, man. Can Keep on the Borderlands count? Because that was pretty good.

Other than that, it's probably either Dungeon Patrol or Dungeon World. I enjoyed running Agents of F.A.T.E., apart from my inability to deliver a clear plot or sense of direction.
Mike Olson
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

My favorite game - Sorcerer, run by Mr. Burnenko. Fun stuff. We're now thinking about doing Sorcerer in our Monday group.
mcellis
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by mcellis »

Yeah that Sorcerer game was a lot of fun, I'd say my best game of the con was the Fiasco Bloody London game.
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

My favorite was Exaltedville. How was Dungeon World. We were confused as to whether that was a retroclone or spin-off of Apocalypse World.
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
mcellis
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by mcellis »

I didn't actually play in the Dungeon World but I watched the last half hour of it and it looked like folks were having a great time.

But I can answer your question it's both, mechanically it is a Apocalypse World hack, but it really tries to capture the retro feel of D&D even if it doesn't use the rules.