Gamma World - mood?

Discussion of all things relating to roleplay (Tabletop and LARP).
cczernia

Gamma World - mood?

Post by cczernia »

So, I there apparently was an issue during the Q&A on Gamma World about why the new edition is super silly and not serious like previous editions. But I always thought Gamma World was suppose to be a goofy game.

So, how do you guys view Gamma World? Is it post-apoc Gonzo or radioactively serious?
constraints breed creativity
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

well, it was gonzo silly, then at some point they tried to make it gonzo serious (i didn't think that worked especially well) and now the new version is closer to the original. I like it.

also, i like where fred hicks was going with his 'maybe this could work for Birthright' line of thought. made of win.
**Formerly dnd3eplayer**
Now your humble host. Let me know if you see any board issues.
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

it's all about the Char gen
Drumheller
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Drumheller »

Yes, this edition is more in line with the humor of the original Gamma World.
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

I was always of the mind that you could take the silliness and get serious with it. I mean, it could still be all about gritty survival of the fittest, even if you're fighting off intelligent evil bunnies or chickens with laser rifles.

The first edition allowed for that kind of thing, I think. This edition is a little harder to do that with, especially with randomized powers, one of which includes something called Clown Feet, if I recall correctly.

It's kinda funny about Gamma World fans. You can't get too serious and you can't get too gonzo.
Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!