Untitled d20 Project

Discussion of all things relating to roleplay (Tabletop and LARP).
Dragonmaster Zoc
One-Armed Skeleton

Untitled d20 Project

Post by Dragonmaster Zoc »

Hello, everyone.

I've been working on a system for about eight months, and I've reached the point where I need feedback. It's a d20-based system, and I'm aiming it toward people who enjoy Pathfinder (basically, people who enjoyed 3.5 but realized that the mechanics needed an update).

I'm trying to get as much feedback as possible, although I haven't found any takers yet. It's only 80 or so pages so far, but that's enough to prevent me from uploading it here. I posted it to the files section of both the San Diego D&D Meetup and the North County Meetup

If anyone can spare some time to look it over, I'd appreciate any opinions.
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

I skimmed your rules and I'm not exactly sure what kind of feedback you are looking for. It looks like a pretty standard d20 spinoff. What exactly is your goals with this system. Why would I choose this instead of Pathfinder, 3.5 or something like e20?
constraints breed creativity
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
Dragonmaster Zoc
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Dragonmaster Zoc »

The whole system could be summarized as a collection of house rules for 3.5, and it actually started out that way before I realized that it was such an overhaul that I basically needed to start from scratch in order to keep things straight.

Ideally, you would play it because you enjoy how 3.5 plays but wish to get rid of:
  • Classes
  • Levels
  • Redundant spells and abilities
  • Obscene wealth and mandatory magical items
  • Disparate mechanics (such as Armor Class vs. saves)
It is mainly just a way of removing classes and levels from D&D, which prompted the rest of the changes since classes and levels are such a core concept.

Some criticisms I'm looking for:
  • The difference between races is too small or too great
  • Limited spell selection makes spellcasters feel powerless
  • Target Numbers are too arbitrary and/or require too much GM interpretation
  • Most skills are useless since points are too valuable to spend on anything not combat-oriented
  • Some attributes are vastly more powerful than others
  • Diminishing returns make advancement too slow
  • Diminishing returns means most character will end up too similar
I'm basically looking for any reason why you might look at the rules and decide that you don't want to play it, other than that it's too similar to D&D and you might as well just play that since everyone already knows how.