OrcCon 2010: Feb. 12-15

Discussion of all things relating to roleplay (Tabletop and LARP).
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

OrcCon 2010: Feb. 12-15

Post by devlin1 »

Here we are again, staring down the barrel of another year of Strategicons.

Me, I don't know exactly what my plans are -- I'm guessing I may commute instead of staying at a hotel so I don't stick Jill with 36 straight hours of child care -- but I do plan to run Leftovers and, apparently, this FATE supers thing I've been working on. I say "apparently" not because I don't want to try it out (on the contrary, I'm really enthusiastic about it) but because I have no idea what to do with it right now.

What about the rest of our usual gang of idiots?
Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
Spirit of the Blank: A blog.
Roll Some Dice: Another blog.
mcellis
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by mcellis »

Well I'm planning two different games of SotC inspired madness.

Sky Pirates of the South China Seas
-An Aviation/Adventure Pulp game

Spirit of the American Hero
-A GI Joe inspired SotC game

Hope to see you all at Orccon.
Morgan.
cczernia

Orccon

Post by cczernia »

Orccon is just a few weeks away (Feb 12-15). Who is planning on going?

I submitted two games for events: Dr Who and Conspiracy X.
constraints breed creativity
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

i work fridays and sundays now, so slim to no chance for me.
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

besides, i don't have 80+ hours to spare to prep a game. ;p
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="jimmy corrigan"]besides, i don't have 80+ hours to spare to prep a game. ;p[/quote]

Yeah, but you can still get some mileage out of that old Star Trek adventure :razz:

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

Yeah, just run "The Ends and the Means" three times on Saturday.

I'm running FATE supers (my current FATE project) and Leftovers -- possibly two sessions of the latter. Actually, I wouldn't mind two sessions of the former, too, but I'm not going to push it.

[quote="cczernia"]I submitted two games for events: Dr Who and Conspiracy X.[/quote]
I know we say this every time, but... you should get shitloads of players for those. When are you running them?

Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="devlin1"]I'm running FATE supers (my current FATE project) and Leftovers -- possibly two sessions of the latter. Actually, I wouldn't mind two sessions of the former, too, but I'm not going to push it.[/quote]

Man, I want to play in both of those. I had fun last time I played Leftover and I've wanted to see how a FATE supers game would handle.

[quote="devlin1"]I know we say this every time, but... you should get shitloads of players for those. When are you running them?[/quote]

Con X is Saturday afternoon and Dr Who is Sunday morning or so I originally scheduled them.

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="mcellis"]Well I'm planning two different games of SotC inspired madness. [/quote]

Man, what ever happened to the Buffy love :sad:

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="cczernia"]Man, I want to play in both of those. I had fun last time I played Leftover and I've wanted to see how a FATE supers game would handle.[/quote]
Right now, I'm planning on FATE supers Saturday night and Leftovers Sunday morning (and possibly Friday night, but that's irrelevant for you since you won't be there). Unless I move that Sunday morning game to the afternoon, though, our Sunday games are going to conflict -- which is bad for me, since I'd really like to try Doctor Who. Plus, it'd keep me off the streets (aka "playing an RPGA game").

Mike Olson
mcellis
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by mcellis »

Honestly while the games are a lot of fun, the system now bores me a bit, but not enough to try and convert it to something else.

Also I kind of got the feeling that the Buffy property was getting a bit long in the tooth, but you're the second person I've heard in a week express some interest in these games so maybe I'll give that a second thought.

Morgan.
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="devlin1"]Right now, I'm planning on FATE supers Saturday night and Leftovers Sunday morning (and possibly Friday night, but that's irrelevant for you since you won't be there). Unless I move that Sunday morning game to the afternoon, though, our Sunday games are going to conflict -- which is bad for me, since I'd really like to try Doctor Who. Plus, it'd keep me off the streets (aka "playing an RPGA game").[/quote]

but isn't this how it goes every Strategicon :rolleyes:

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="cczernia"]but isn't this how it goes every Strategicon :rolleyes:[/quote]

Well, if we were going to go by "how it goes every Strategicon," I should leave Leftovers on Sunday morning so you have a game to play in that time slot. But I'm not that much of a pessimist.

Mike Olson
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="cczernia"]Man, I want to play in both of those. I had fun last time I played Leftover and I've wanted to see how a FATE supers game would handle.[/quote]
BTW, did I mention it's a teenage heroes game? And that no fewer than [i]three[/i] of the PCs are female?

[i]Are you ready for some exciting but essentially non-lethal Silver Age-type action? When supervillainy threatens Pacific City, it's up to Seaside High School's motley assortment of teenage superheroes to put a stop to it. And during finals week, no less![/i]

Mike Olson
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="devlin1"]BTW, did I mention it's a teenage heroes game? And that no fewer than [i]three[/i] of the PCs are female?

[i]Are you ready for some exciting but essentially non-lethal Silver Age-type action? When supervillainy threatens Pacific City, it's up to Seaside High School's motley assortment of teenage superheroes to put a stop to it. And during finals week, no less![/i][/quote]

Now we are talking my kind of game!

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
MattGie

Post by MattGie »

I just moved to San Diego in August. Can someone here fill me in on where OrcCon is and roughly how many people attend it?
-Matt Giezentaner
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

http://www.strategicon.net/

It's in LA, part of the Strategicon umbrella of cons (2 others in the year, all on holiday weekends - President's/Memorial/Labor).

Attendance - dunno about specific numbers. I'd say a number of hundreds.
**Formerly dnd3eplayer**
Now your humble host. Let me know if you see any board issues.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="MattGie"]I just moved to San Diego in August. Can someone here fill me in on where OrcCon is and roughly how many people attend it?

-Matt Giezentaner[/quote]

Heya Matt! Welcome to San Diego, and welcome to the boards!

[url=http://www.strategicon.net]OrcCon[/url]'s no GenCon or anything, but I'd say its total attendance is around 2,000 people, between RPGs, boardgames, minis games, wargamers, card games, and whatever else they have going on there.

It's up by LAX, at a Radisson, so it isn't what you'd call a local con, but it isn't [i]too[/i] far from San Diego -- couple hours, without traffic.

Me, I don't live in San Diego anymore -- I'm up in Orange County -- so I may have lost perspective on the drive time, but there are usually three or four San Diego gamers who make the trek up to these LA cons every few months, so it can't be [i]that[/i] bad.

There is, however, a more local convention coming up at the end of February: Condor. It's a sorta sci-fi convention, from what I understand, and it's never had an RPG component until this year. Cczernia's the RPG coordinator-type-guy, so we're trying to get a number of games happening there. There's a thread about it somewhere around here.

EDIT: [url=http://rpg-sandiego.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=10630]Here we go.[/url]

Mike Olson
MattGie

Post by MattGie »

Thanks for the info. I make road trips up to L.A. to goto the Camarilla Fan Club Requiem game there once a month. So I know your estimate about drive time is fairly accurate. I'll have to see if I can make it.
-Matt
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

Devlin1, the curse still lasts as we both bumped our Saturday games to the evening :(
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="cczernia"]Devlin1, the curse still lasts as we both bumped our Saturday games to the evening :([/quote]

However! I'm running Leftovers Saturday morning and [i]nothing [/i]Sunday morning, so there's that.

With any luck, that Con-X game will tank and you'll be able to come play a bitchy, brainy, or bashful teenage girl. Fingers crossed!

Mike Olson
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

My events aren't showing up... does that mean they didn't accept them?
Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="mordraine"]My events aren't showing up... does that mean they didn't accept them?[/quote]

They'll be on there by tonight, I'm sure. Did you get emails confirming that they'd been submitted?

Mike Olson
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="devlin1"]They'll be on there by tonight, I'm sure. Did you get emails confirming that they'd been submitted?[/quote]

Yup, sure did. Just didn't get any acceptance emails.

Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="mordraine"]Yup, sure did. Just didn't get any acceptance emails.[/quote]

That's all you get -- confirmation of submission. I submitted my two [i]Leftovers [/i]games about 13 hours ago, and they just showed up on the schedule within the past few hours.

Mike Olson
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

Mine showed up. 2pm Saturday and 2pm Sunday. Even got the time slots I wanted!
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="mordraine"]Mine showed up. 2pm Saturday and 2pm Sunday. Even got the time slots I wanted![/quote]

Yeah... turns out that time slot lottery was a false front. Everyone got their first choice.

I'm only taking four players each for my Leftovers games. So decadent!

Mike Olson