Favorite games by theme or category

Discussion of all things relating to roleplay (Tabletop and LARP).
cczernia

Favorite games by theme or category

Post by cczernia »

Basically, list your favorite category or themes in rpgs you like and then some rpgs that fit that theme.

Noble Families
: Song of Ice and Fire rpg, Houses of the Blooded, Reign, Fading Suns
Independent: Primetime Adventures, Spirit of the Century, Monsters and other Childish Things
Modern Horror: World of Darkness, Witchcraft, Buffy the Vampire the Slayer rpg
Mech Scifi: Heavy Gear, Jovian Chronicles
Romance: Blue Rose (I don't think I have any other games for this category)
constraints breed creativity
Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

i like family drama. i like sci-fi (not sify). i like fantasy.

pretty broad, but that's what i like.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="jimmy corrigan"]i like family drama. i like sci-fi (not sify). i like fantasy.

pretty broad, but that's what i like.[/quote]

List some RPGs that fit those themes.

Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
Spirit of the Blank: A blog.
Roll Some Dice: Another blog.
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

i'm finding specific rpgs don't seem to matter that much anymore.
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

Post-Apoc (Gamma World, Engel, Tribe 8)
Steampunk/pulp (OGL Steampunk, Etherscope, Victoriana)
Modern settings (Changeling, Hunter, Delta Green, Esoterrorists)
Atlernate History/Reality (Deadlands, Shadowrun, Dark Ages Vampire)
Extreme Fantasy (Sundered Skies, Zorcerer of Zo, Slipstream)
Space Adventure (Star Wars Saga, Star Frontiers, Traveller)
Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="jimmy corrigan"]i'm finding specific rpgs don't seem to matter that much anymore.[/quote]

Yeah but that wasn't the question. Also, I call bullshit - what about HARP? You said you like fantasy. Would you play in a HARP game? That's fantasy.

Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="cczernia"][b]Independent[/b]: Primetime Adventures, Spirit of the Century, Monsters and other Childish Things
[/quote]

Apples and oranges. Indie games can encompass a lot of different themes and categories.

devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="mordraine"]Apples and oranges. Indie games can encompass a lot of different themes and categories.[/quote]

Agreed. Earlier I was going to reply with "Independent is a genre now?" but I didn't want to sound like a dick.

[quote="mordraine"]Yeah but that wasn't the question. Also, I call bullshit - what about HARP? You said you like fantasy. Would you play in a HARP game? That's fantasy.[/quote]
Albert playing in a HARP game? Now [i]that's[/i] fantasy.

Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

looks like it's time for uncle mord's midday nap. i would play in a harp game if the person running it was someone i trusted.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="mordraine"]Post-Apoc (Gamma World, Engel, Tribe 8)
[/quote]

This reminds me: I was looking through a box up here at my parents and found my old Gamma World boxed set. I'm not sure what edition it is, but it's in pretty great condition.

[quote="jimmy corrigan"]looks like it's time for uncle mord's midday nap. i would play in a harp game if the person running it was someone i trusted.[/quote]
Oh snap! Take that, Glen!

Glen...?

[SIZE="1"]After typing "Glen" twice, it suddenly seems like the weirdest fucking name in the world.[/SIZE]

Mike Olson
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

[quote="devlin1"]Oh snap! Take that, Glen!

Glen...?

[SIZE="1"]After typing "Glen" twice, it suddenly seems like the weirdest fucking name in the world.[/SIZE][/quote]
ha ha!

but just to clarify, my comment wasn't a roundabout dig on any system or specific person's campaign. i mentioned harp 'cause it was brought up.

all i'm sayin' is that i am always up for a game (even in a system that i'm initially unfamiliar with or suspicious about) if the person behind the gm screen is cool. i think my record speaks to that personal policy. don't get me wrong. i've had my share of pet campaign settings and systems in the past, but these days i don't know if that matters so much to me anymore. this is why i currently find it so very hard to choose a game to play when given a choice-- something some of you know about.

BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

Okay, well, let me see:

Fantasy: D&D 4E, D&D 3E
"Universal" RPG: Savage Worlds
Post-Apocalypse: Day After Ragnarok, Tribe 8
Humor: Low Life, Toon, Diana Warrior Princess
Superhero: Mutants & Masterminds, Necessary Evil
Retro-Clone: Mazes and Minotaurs
Space: Serenity, Dragonstar

The categories are in no particular order, but the games in each category are listed in order of most favorite first.

Chris
Follow my attempt to convert Torg to Savage Worlds!
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="devlin1"]Agreed. Earlier I was going to reply with "Independent is a genre now?" but I didn't want to sound like a dick.
[/quote]

True, but I wasn't asking for genre or just themes. Independent is just as much a category as scifi or games that are in hardback.

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="cczernia"]True, but I wasn't asking for genre or just themes. Independent is just as much a category as scifi or games that are in hardback.[/quote]
But it does seem kinda meaningless when the other categories are things like "Fantasy" or "Modern." It seems to me it'd only make sense to include "Independent" as its own thing if you also have a choice of, say, "WotC," "White Wolf," and "Green Ronin."

Mike Olson
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

[quote="cczernia"]True, but I wasn't asking for genre or just themes. Independent is just as much a category as scifi or games that are in hardback.[/quote]

Except that there are Indie sci-fi games... and indie fantasy games... and indie horror games... etc. I'd have to agree with Dev and Mord that Indie isn't a category unto itself.

Chris

mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="jimmy corrigan"]looks like it's time for uncle mord's midday nap. [/quote]

Ageist!

[quote="jimmy corrigan"]i would play in a harp game if the person running it was someone i trusted.[/quote]

The last few times someone mentioned HARP in your presence, phrases which included the word "fuck" came out of your mouth.

devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="mordraine"]The last few times someone mentioned HARP in your presence, phrases which included the word "fuck" came out of your mouth.[/quote]
I think it was "I would fuck the shit out of that game."

Mike Olson
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

[quote="mordraine"]The last few times someone mentioned HARP in your presence, phrases which included the word "fuck" came out of your mouth.[/quote]but you must know that those references are aimed at a particular running of that rpg, right? if, say, tomorrow [i]you[/i] were to run a long-term fantasy campaign with harp, i'd totally play in it.
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

[quote="devlin1"]I think it was "I would fuck the shit out of that game."[/quote]correction, it was: "i would game the fuck out of that shit."
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

Fantasy: D&D 4E, D&D 3E, AD&D, Planescape, Runesquest, MERP...ok I take this back
"Universal" RPG: Savage Worlds, GURP, BRP
Post-Apocalypse: Twillight 2000(I like the concept, not the actual game), Paranoia, Engel, Armageddon
Humor: Low Life, Demon Hunter
SPY: Top Secret, Spycraft, James Bond
Superhero: Mutants & Masterminds, Necessary Evil
Space: Serenity, Dragonstar, Star Wars, Star Trek
Cinematic: Feng Shui, SOtC
Horror Modern: All Flesh Must be eaten, Delta Green, Secrets of Japan CoC, NWoD, WoD, Nemesis
Horror past: Call of Cthulhu,
Horror very much in the past: CoC: Dark Ages, CoC: Cthulhu Invictus
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

[quote="BlanchPrez"]Except that there are Indie sci-fi games... and indie fantasy games... and indie horror games... etc. I'd have to agree with Dev and Mord that Indie isn't a category unto itself.

Chris[/quote]

Sounds more like marketing/Distributing tag

mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="jimmy corrigan"]but you must know that those references are aimed at a particular running of that rpg, right? if, say, tomorrow [i]you[/i] were to run a long-term fantasy campaign with harp, i'd totally play in it.[/quote]

See, you can say that with a certain amount of safety because you know that I would never in a million years run a HARP game.

mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="Skyman"]Sounds more like marketing/Distributing tag[/quote]

"9 out of 10 Gamers agree with Dev and Mord!"

jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

[quote="mordraine"]See, you can say that with a certain amount of safety because you know that I would never in a million years run a HARP game.[/quote]you're missing the point. but i think you know that. i'm going to drop it.
cczernia

Post by cczernia »

[quote="devlin1"]But it does seem kinda meaningless when the other categories are things like "Fantasy" or "Modern." It seems to me it'd only make sense to include "Independent" as its own thing if you also have a choice of, say, "WotC," "White Wolf," and "Green Ronin."[/quote]

Well, I don't want to argue semantics. But the point of the thread was to discuss categories that attract you to games no matter how broad and independent is one of those categories for me even if it doesn't match up with my other categories which are genre based.

If a game comes I am much more likely to check it out and purchase it if it is an independent game than a main stream game.

Chris Czerniak
RPG San Diego meetup
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="jimmy corrigan"]you're missing the point. but i think you know that. i'm going to drop it.[/quote]

I'm trying to get you to admit that games and systems have more of an impact to your decisions than you think.

Mr. Snotty-nose.

devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="cczernia"]Well, I don't want to argue semantics. [/quote]
Well I [i]do[/i]!

[img]http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1101/794438826_5f340c9c16.jpg[/img]

Mike Olson
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

Maybe we should split this thread into a debate thread and the original intent of this thread.

Chris
SpaceMonkey
Killer Robot

Post by SpaceMonkey »

[quote="mordraine"]See, you can say that with a certain amount of safety because you know that I would never in a million years run a HARP game.[/quote]

yeah, but i might. muahahahahahaha!

[quote="cczernia"]Well, I don't want to argue semantics. But the point of the thread was to discuss categories that attract you to games [/quote]

it was? I thought it was to get Albert to play more HARP!

**Formerly dnd3eplayer**
Now your humble host. Let me know if you see any board issues.
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

[quote="BlanchPrez"]Maybe we should split this thread into a debate thread and the original intent of this thread.

Chris[/quote]

Good Luck

Dragonmaster Zoc
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Dragonmaster Zoc »

High Fantasy: D&D 3E, GURPS
Low Fantasy: AD&D 2E, GURPS
Sci Fi: GURPS
Sci Fi Fantasy: Shadowrun, GURPS