Treemen

Discussion of all things relating to roleplay (Tabletop and LARP).
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Treemen

Post by BlanchPrez »

Hey gang,

So, I have been working on slowly converting my old 3.0 D&D setting, The World of Yerth, to 4E. Here's one of the races I am working on, a sentient tree people, and I wanted to get your opinions on a few things.

First, I am unsure what to make for the second attribute bonus. Con makes a certain amount of sense given that they are trees. But, at the same time, I think they should have something that reflects their naturally inquisitive natures (they're primary roles it to learn all they can about the world and then return to their forest of origin and report to the elder trees all they have learned). But, I am unsure how to reflect that in game stats. Maybe I can't.

Also, I was toying with the idea of giving them a +1 bonus to AC for their thick hide, but that seems overpowered. Is that just me? Anyway, here's what I have. I'm looking for feedback, so please, tear this apart and let me know what you think.

Treemen

Mighty mobile trees, curious to know more about the world around them.

Racial Traits

Average height: 7’0” – 7’5”
Average Weight: 290 – 350 lb.

Ability Scores: +2 Strength, +2 ?
Size: Medium
Speed: 5 Squares
Vision: Low Light

Languages: Common, Elven
Skill Bonuses: +2 Nature, + 2 ?
Fey Origin: Being the magical creation of a living forest with strong ties to the feywild, you are considered a fey creature for the purposes of effects that relate to creature origin.
Encumbered Speed: Treemen are quite capable of carrying large amounts of weight without loosing speed, and as such you move at your normal speed even when it would normally be reduced by armor or a heavy load. Other effects that limit speed (such as difficult terrain or magical effects) affect you normally.
Deep Roots: You have the Deep Roots power.

Deep Roots (Treeman Racial Power)
You use your natural plant like feet to root yourself to the spot.
Encounter
Move Action, Personal
Effect:
You gain immunity to effects that force you to move – through a push, pull or slide – until the end of your next turn.

Chris
Follow my attempt to convert Torg to Savage Worlds!
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

I'd make it +2 Con, +2 Wis. I'd also make it +2 Nature, +2 Perception -- or +2 Insight. I could go either way.

EDIT: Or +2 History. How long-lived are these treemen, anyway? Because I could see a rich oral history going on.

I'd rather see Deep Roots as an immediate interrupt. It'd be much more useful, and I don't see how it'd be unbalancing.
Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
Spirit of the Blank: A blog.
Roll Some Dice: Another blog.
Dragonkin
Pitchfork Wielding Peasant

Post by Dragonkin »

I agree with devlin. In addition, I don't think an AC bonus would be too overpowering. Worse case, just make it a racial feat.

Yeah, Zelda's hot, but Samus does that thing with her gun . . . . :naughty::eek:

Wanna know what Colorado gamers think? Check it out!
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="Dragonkin"]I agree with devlin. In addition, I don't think an AC bonus would be too overpowering. Worse case, just make it a racial feat.[/quote]
Yeah, I do think it could stand to have another benefit. It's basically a dwarf, but with a much more conditional racial ability. I wouldn't go with an AC bonus, though -- I'd probably do +1 Fort.

Man, I love how races are done in 4E.

Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

Thanks for the feedback! Yeah, I realized that right after posting it, the Deep Root power needed to be an immedate interrupt.

I also didn't realize how dwarf-like he is, with the power, the slow movement speed, and the dwarf ability to carry equipment without being slowed.

I gave him the slow speed to reflect that these are lumbering tree people. I still like that idea...

Also, I like the +1 Fort, that works better than a +1 AC mecanically, and still shows off their tough outer skin. So, with your suggestions, here's what he looks like now.

Treemen

Racial Traits

Ability Scores: +2 Strength, +2 Wisdom

Skill Bonuses: +2 Nature, + 2 Perception
Bark Skin: You gain +1 to your Fortitude Defense.
Fey Origin: Being the magical creation of a living forest with strong ties to the feywild, you are considered a fey creature for the purposes of effects that relate to creature origin.
Encumbered Speed: Treemen are quite capable of carrying large amounts of weight without loosing speed, and as such you move at your normal speed even when it would normally be reduced by armor or a heavy load. Other effects that limit speed (such as difficult terrain or magical effects) affect you normally.

Encounter
Immedate Interrupt, Personal
Trigger:
An attack forces you to move.
Effect: You gain immunity to effects that force you to move – through a push, pull or slide – until the end of your next turn.

I think this works out. It seems like a fairly balanced race, although I do have some concerns that Deep Root might not be as useful a racial power as some others are (breath weapon and teleportation spring to mind).

Next up, I'll work on some racial feets. :)

Chris
Dragonkin
Pitchfork Wielding Peasant

Post by Dragonkin »

I wouldn't be overly concerned with the usefulness of Deep Roots. In PHB I, half of the races don't even have a racial encounter power, and Deep Roots is more powerful than the dwarven Stand Your Ground ability, so it evens out, I think.

Yeah, Zelda's hot, but Samus does that thing with her gun . . . . :naughty::eek:

Wanna know what Colorado gamers think? Check it out!
Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

Weak vs. axe?
"I need no mask to speak with you. Unlike my brother. I create my own personality. Personality is my medium."

--Neuromancer, William Gibson
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="BlanchPrez"]
Also, I like the +1 Fort, that works better than a +1 AC mecanically, and still shows off their tough outer skin. [/quote]

From what I can see, bonuses to AC are to be avoided, but plenty of races have a bonus to NADs (the unfortunate acronym for "Non-AC Defenses").

I suggested a Fort bonus, though, because it gets used for bullrushes and lots of powers that either knock prone or do ongoing poison damage.

I'm a little split on whether I'd personally give them +2 Con instead of +2 Str. Bonuses to Str and Wis give them a natural tendency towards being clerics, fighters (for the bonus to OAs), paladins, rangers, and wardens. Bonuses to Con and Wis would make them good druids, invokers, and shamans, and versatile wardens (since Wis and Con are both secondary attributes). Primal classes just feel [i]right[/i] for them, so personally, I'd rather be a good druid, shaman, or warden than a good paladin or cleric. Then again, +2 Con and +2 Wis would make them even [i]more[/i] like dwarves....

Mike Olson
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

[quote="devlin1"]From what I can see, bonuses to AC are to be avoided, but plenty of races have a bonus to NADs (the unfortunate acronym for "Non-AC Defenses").

I suggested a Fort bonus, though, because it gets used for bullrushes and lots of powers that either knock prone or do ongoing poison damage.

I'm a little split on whether I'd personally give them +2 Con instead of +2 Str. Bonuses to Str and Wis give them a natural tendency towards being clerics, fighters (for the bonus to OAs), paladins, rangers, and wardens. Bonuses to Con and Wis would make them good druids, invokers, and shamans, and versatile wardens (since Wis and Con are both secondary attributes). Primal classes just feel [i]right[/i] for them, so personally, I'd rather be a good druid, shaman, or warden than a good paladin or cleric. Then again, +2 Con and +2 Wis would make them even [i]more[/i] like dwarves....[/quote]

See, I had that same debate. I agree that primal classes are perfect for these guys, and a Treeman Warden is my idea of a generic treeman. In the end, though, they need to be playtested to see which works better.

Chris

BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

Okay, some potentail feats. I'm really not familier with the paragon or epic tier stuff, as my group is still in the Heroic tier. But, going by the PHB and PHB2, these seem to work well.

Heroic Tier Feats

Thick Branches
Prerequisite: Treeman
Benefit: You’re arms are extra thick, and can be used as clubs in combat, even when unarmed. You are considered proficient with your arms.

Extra Deep Roots
Prerequisite: Treeman, Deep Root racial power.
Benefit: You can use your Deep Root racial power twice per encounter.

Paragon Tier Feats

Bark Skin
Benefit: You gain a natural +1 feat bonus to AC.

Epic Tier Feats

Extended Deep Roots
Prerequisite: Treeman, Deep Root racial power
Benefit: You can grant your Deep Root racial power to any ally. This counts as using the power.

Chris
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

Unsolicited feedback!

[quote="BlanchPrez"]
[u]Heroic Tier Feats[/u]

[b]Thick Branches[/b]

[b]Prerequisite:[/b] Treeman

[b]Benefit:[/b] You’re arms are extra thick, and can be used as clubs in combat, even when unarmed. You are considered proficient with your arms.[/quote]

The standard way to say this, I believe, is just "Your unarmed attacks are considered clubs for purposes of damage and feats" or something. You're already proficient with your arms -- they're unarmed attacks (+3, 1d4), and everyone's proficient with their own unarmed attacks, so the last sentence is redundant.

[quote]
[b]Extra Deep Roots[/b]

[b]Prerequisite:[/b] Treeman, [i]Deep Root[/i] racial power.

[b]Benefit:[/b] You can use your [i]Deep Root[/i] racial power twice per encounter.[/quote]

Channel Divinity notwithstanding, I think this has the potential to be confusing. Also, doing one thing twice is not as interesting to me as doing that one thing [i]and[/i] getting an additional effect out of it. What about getting to make a saving throw when you use Deep Roots? Or getting to spend a healing surge? Some other defensive benefit would be better, IMO, than just getting to use it again.

Existing feats seem to back this up. Cf. Improved Razor Storm -- it doesn't let a bladeling use razor storm twice and encounter; it just makes its one use more effective.

[quote]
[u]Paragon Tier Feats[/u]

[b]Bark Skin[/b]

[b]Prerequisite:[/b] Treeman

[b]Benefit:[/b] You gain a natural +1 feat bonus to AC.[/quote]

I think this is overpowered. There aren't many feats that grant an AC bonus, and those that do are highly conditional: +1 AC if you're against a wall, +1 AC if you've been reduced to zero hit points, etc. If this were something like +1 AC vs. creatures your size or smaller, or +1 AC until the end of your next turn when you spend an Action Point, it'd be more in line with what's already out there. Or 5 damage reduction until the end of your next turn.

[u]Epic Tier Feats[/u]

[b]Extended Deep Roots[/b]

[b]Prerequisite:[/b] Treeman, [i]Deep Root[/i] racial power

[b]Benefit:[/b] You can grant your Deep Root racial power to any ally. This counts as using the power.[/QUOTE]

Axe the last sentence and make it "Your Deep Root racial power affects yourself and one adjacent ally" or "...all adjacent allies" and you're good.

Mike Olson
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

[quote="devlin1"]Unsolicited feedback![/quote]

Nothing unsolicited, I'm posting here just to GET feedback. So there!

[quote]The standard way to say this, I believe, is just "Your unarmed attacks are considered clubs for purposes of damage and feats" or something. You're already proficient with your arms -- they're unarmed attacks (+3, 1d4), and everyone's proficient with their own unarmed attacks, so the last sentence is redundant.[/quote]

Hmmm... I guess what I wanted was to make them not be unarmed attacks... but I guess this still works.

[quote]Channel Divinity notwithstanding, I think this has the potential to be confusing. Also, doing one thing twice is not as interesting to me as doing that one thing [i]and[/i] getting an additional effect out of it. What about getting to make a saving throw when you use Deep Roots? Or getting to spend a healing surge? Some other defensive benefit would be better, IMO, than just getting to use it again.

Existing feats seem to back this up. Cf. Improved Razor Storm -- it doesn't let a bladeling use razor storm twice and encounter; it just makes its one use more effective.[/quote]

Hmmm... I thought I was in line with existing feats, I'll have to look at them again.

[quote]I think this is overpowered. There aren't many feats that grant an AC bonus, and those that do are highly conditional: +1 AC if you're against a wall, +1 AC if you've been reduced to zero hit points, etc. If this were something like +1 AC vs. creatures your size or smaller, or +1 AC until the end of your next turn when you spend an Action Point, it'd be more in line with what's already out there. Or 5 damage reduction until the end of your next turn.[/quote]

Good point. I like the idea of a +1 AC until the end of your next turn when spending an action point. I'll have to think about it.

[quote]Axe the last sentence and make it "Your Deep Root racial power affects yourself and one adjacent ally" or "...all adjacent allies" and you're good.[/quote]

Ooops... this was already supposed to read "all adjacent allies." I should proofread before posting!

Chris

devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="BlanchPrez"]Hmmm... I guess what I wanted was to make them not be unarmed attacks... but I guess this still works.[/quote]
What would the difference be? The only difference between your mitts and a weapon is what group they're in. The Unarmed group only has one weapon in it: unarmed. If you treat your unarmed attacks as clubs instead, you're just moving them from Unarmed to Clubs and upping their damage one die type. The fact is you're still "unarmed," since you're whacking orcs with your fists of oak.

This is just semantics, though, assuming it's just for your own game.

Mike Olson
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

All right, some changes. Not sure which Bark Skin I like better, and still working on Thick Branches.

Extra Deep Roots
Benefit: You can make a saving throw when you use your Deep Root racial power.

Paragon Tier Feats

Bark Skin
Benefit: You gain a +1 feat bonus to AC until the end of your next turn whenever you spend an Action Point.

Alternate Bark Skin
Benefit: You gain resist 5 to all until the end of your next turn when you are first bloodied.

Epic Tier Feats

Extended Deep Roots
Benefit: You can grant your Deep Root racial power to all adjacent allies.

Chris
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

[quote="devlin1"]What would the difference be? The only difference between your mitts and a weapon is what group they're in. The Unarmed group only has one weapon in it: unarmed. If you treat your unarmed attacks as clubs instead, you're just moving them from Unarmed to Clubs and upping their damage one die type. The fact is you're still "unarmed," since you're whacking orcs with your fists of oak.

This is just semantics, though, assuming it's just for your own game.[/quote]

Maybe I'm thinking of 3rd edition, but isn't there a mechanical difference between unarmed attacks and using a weapon? Otherwise, what's the deal with the Monk class feature where your unarmed attacks count as weapons?

Although, that said, a class feature as a feat is probably too powerful.

Chris

BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

Okay, sorry for the tripple post, but here's what I got.

Looking up Unarmed attacks in the PBH, unarmed attacks count as improvised weapons, which means you don't get a profeciency bonus when you use them.

In that case, using something similar to your wording "Your unarmed attacks count as clubs for purposes of profeciency and damage" works just fine for what I was going for without steping on the toes of the Monk class feature.

Unless this has all been errated, in which case... nevermind.

Chris
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="BlanchPrez"]Maybe I'm thinking of 3rd edition, but isn't there a mechanical difference between unarmed attacks and using a weapon? [/quote]
Nope. It's part of 4E's emphasis on character ability over equipment.

[quote]Otherwise, what's the deal with the Monk class feature where your unarmed attacks count as weapons?[/quote]
It's more convoluted than that. The "monk unarmed strike" is a weapon that only monks can use. It's better than a non-monk unarmed attack in that it does 1d8 instead of 1d4. It's done this way to justify the ability to enchant a monk's fists as if they were weapons, when you can't do this to anyone else's fists.

Mike Olson
BlanchPrez
Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

Okay, I think the simple solution to this is to avoid the word "club" all together and simply have the feat read: "Your unarmed attacks deal 1d6 points of damage."

Chris
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

if you need vulnerabilities to balance out the racial benefits, in addition to neuro's suggestion of weakness vs. axes, i'd suggest a vulnerability to fire.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="jimmy corrigan"]if you need vulnerabilities to balance out the racial benefits, in addition to neuro's suggestion of weakness vs. axes, i'd suggest a vulnerability to fire.[/quote]
4E races don't balance benefits with weaknesses. It's all-benefits, all the time. E.g., all races except humans get +2 to two stats, but no race gets +2/-2 like they did in 3.X.

Mike Olson
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="BlanchPrez"]Okay, I think the simple solution to this is to avoid the word "club" all together and simply have the feat read: "Your unarmed attacks deal 1d6 points of damage."[/quote]
The situations I can think of where it'd make a difference:
[list]
  • [*]Fighter powers that have additional effects for certain weapon groups

• [*]Weapon Focus/Expertise -- you normally wield a great club, but when you're disarmed you still get the benefit of these feats

• [*]Other feats that may affect clubs, but don't affect unarmed attacks
  • [/list]

Those are actually some pretty compelling reasons for the wording, now that I see them written out like that.

Mike Olson
    BlanchPrez
    Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

[quote="devlin1"]The situations I can think of where it'd make a difference:
    [list]
  • [*]Fighter powers that have additional effects for certain weapon groups

• [*]Weapon Focus/Expertise -- you normally wield a great club, but when you're disarmed you still get the benefit of these feats

• [*]Other feats that may affect clubs, but don't affect unarmed attacks
  • [/list]

Those are actually some pretty compelling reasons for the wording, now that I see them written out like that.[/quote]

Okay, so...

"Your unarmed attacks count as clubs for purposes of damage, effects and powers that specifiy a weapon group."

Seems kind clunky and wordy... I'll have to work on that one.

Chris

devlin1
    Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="BlanchPrez"]Okay, so...

"Your unarmed attacks count as clubs for purposes of damage, effects and powers that specifiy a weapon group."

Seems kind clunky and wordy... I'll have to work on that one.

Chris[/quote]

There's already a feat or an item that does exactly this; I'll try to find it and post that wording.

Edit: Here it is -- Belt of the Brawler. "Property: Make improvised attacks (included unarmed attacks) as if you were armed with a club."

Mike Olson
    BlanchPrez
    Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

[quote="devlin1"]There's already a feat or an item that does exactly this; I'll try to find it and post that wording.

Edit: Here it is -- Belt of the Brawler. "Property: Make improvised attacks (included unarmed attacks) as if you were armed with a club."[/quote]

Awesome! So the feat would read "You make unarmed attacks as if you were armed with a club."

Perfect.

Chris

devlin1
    Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="BlanchPrez"]Awesome! So the feat would read "You make unarmed attacks as if you were armed with a club."

Perfect.

Chris[/quote]

Yeah, despite the rules impacts (feats, powers, etc.), the wording itself is refreshingly straightforward. Like a lot of 4E, IMO.

Mike Olson
    jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

[quote="devlin1"]4E races don't balance benefits with weaknesses. It's all-benefits, all the time. E.g., all races except humans get +2 to two stats, but no race gets +2/-2 like they did in 3.X.[/quote]pft! whatevs...
    ekomega
    Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by ekomega »

To clarify about the AC bonus:

A +1 AC bonus is perfect for Paragon Tier, as there are several feats (all tied to armor) that give +1 bonuses to AC, depending on the armor you are wearing.

However, they are all feat bonuses. And feat bonuses do not stack. So there is no reason a TreeMan who wears armor would ever take the conditional Armor Bark feat, when he could have a permanent +1 feat bonus to AC from the PHB. The PHB feat is superior.

I would recommend for Super Bark something similar to Scion of the Gods for Tieflings (FRPG), where they get +1 Fort and +1 Will from a feat.

Also, they are really like dwarves. Instead of slow movement, maybe they can extend their reach, like with long branches?
    jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

+2 ac vs. axes and fire?
    BlanchPrez
    Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

[quote="ekomega"]To clarify about the AC bonus:

A +1 AC bonus is perfect for Paragon Tier, as there are several feats (all tied to armor) that give +1 bonuses to AC, depending on the armor you are wearing.

However, they are all feat bonuses. And feat bonuses do not stack. So there is no reason a TreeMan who wears armor would ever take the conditional Armor Bark feat, when he could have a permanent +1 feat bonus to AC from the PHB. The PHB feat is superior.

I would recommend for Super Bark something similar to Scion of the Gods for Tieflings (FRPG), where they get +1 Fort and +1 Will from a feat.[/quote]

I get what you're saying. I'm currently leaning towards the resist 5 all for that feat, however, you've given me something to think about.

[quote]Also, they are really like dwarves. Instead of slow movement, maybe they can extend their reach, like with long branches?[/quote]

A perminant extended reach? That seems pretty powerful... on the other hand, I don't want to add a second power, and I like the deep roots power...

Chris

devlin1
    Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="BlanchPrez"]A perminant extended reach? That seems pretty powerful... on the other hand, I don't want to add a second power, and I like the deep roots power... [/quote]
    Well, I think he's suggesting that they just have Reach 2, all the time, as a passive ability in addition to Deep Roots. That's pretty huge, but I can see it.

Mike Olson
    BlanchPrez
    Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

[quote="devlin1"]Well, I think he's suggesting that they just have Reach 2, all the time, as a passive ability in addition to Deep Roots. That's pretty huge, but I can see it.[/quote]

So, speed 6, ditch the "no reduced movement" thing and then give them perminant Reach 2.

Hmmm.... it'd certanly workable, and gives them something unique. It would really have to be playtested, though.

Chris

devlin1
    Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="BlanchPrez"]So, speed 6, ditch the "no reduced movement" thing and then give them perminant Reach 2.

Hmmm.... it'd certanly workable, and gives them something unique. It would really have to be playtested, though.

Chris[/quote]

Personally, I'd keep the reduced movement -- they should be these big lumbering (ha!) things, IMO -- and lose a [i]benefit[/i], like the Fort bonus or the encumbered movement thing. In fact, I'd do +2 Con instead of +2 Str (keeping the same +1 Fort bonus from +2 Str and adding +2 hit points and +1 healing surge), drop the Fort bonus, add Reach 2, and see how that goes.

Mike Olson
    BlanchPrez
    Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

Treemen

Racial Traits

Ability Scores: +2 Constitution, +2 Wisdom

Treebranch Arms: You have Reach 2.

Encounter
    Immedate Interrupt, Personal
    Trigger:
    An attack forces you to move.
    Effect: You gain immunity to effects that force you to move – through a push, pull or slide – until the end of your next turn.
    mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="BlanchPrez"] It would really have to be playtested, though.
    [/quote]

Come on! Live on the EDGE! Use it WITHOUT playtesting!!

Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
    BlanchPrez
    Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

Okay, revised feats:

Heroic Tier Feats

Thick Branches
    Benefit: Your make unarmed attacks as if armed with a club.

Extra Deep Roots
    Benefit: You can make an immediate saving throw when you use your Deep Root racial power.

Paragon Tier Feats

Bark Skin
    Benefit: You gain +3 to your Fortitude defense.

Epic Tier Feats

Extended Deep Roots
    Benefit: You can grant your Deep Root racial power to all adjacent allies.

Chris
    ekomega
    Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by ekomega »

Actually, I was suggesting getting rid of Deep Roots altogether and switching to an encounter power (minor) that gives you Reach +1 until the end of your next turn.

Instead of focusing on their tree rooty-ness, you'd be focusing on their tree branchy-ness. Reach 2 as a permanent ability is really powerful, and I don't think any playable race has that.

The issue with Deep Roots is that is very Dwarf-y, is only slightly weaker than the Dwarven Defender Paragon Path level 16 power (MP), is equal to or better than a Fighter level 6 daily utility (Rock Steady - MP), and may also offer competition versus a Fighter level 16 daily utility (Immovable Mountain - MP). You want the treeman to feel different than a dwarf, and also not have a superpower.

Another option (although this may be an Orc or half-orc power) is a Resist damage encounter ability, like Resist 5 all (except Fire) until the end of your next turn, increases to 10 at 11 and 15 at 21. That would focus on their barkyness.

Or, better, maybe a Treeman gets to pick one of the three at character creation. That way, they could be either a really rooty, extra barky, or extra branchy treeman, depending on how the player feels. I would say it should be permanent, not changeable each day, because that overlaps the upcoming WotC treeman in PHB3.

Also, the +3 Fort feat pretty much steps on Great Fortitude, also Paragon Tier, also not stackable, and makes Great Fortitude useless.

Finally, are Trees perceptive? It's a tree. You could focus on their "deep roots" by giving them +2 History.
    BlanchPrez
    Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

All right, some good points, ekomega...

Some I've tried to address in the new stat block below. The last one, regarding the +2 to perception, I'm sticking with. As their whole purpose in life is to learn about the world around them and then report back to their grove, yes, they are perceptive. Besides, don't you know that the trees have ears? :wink:

Treemen

Racial Traits

Thick Trunk: You gain +1 to your Fortitude defense.
    Forest’s Reach: You gain the Forest’s Reach racial power.

Forest’s Reach (Treeman Racial Power)
    You extend your branch like arms to reach opponents further away.
    Encounter
    Minor Action, Personal

Effect: You gain Reach +1 until the end of your next turn.

Feats!

Heroic Tier Feats

Thick Branches

Threatening Reach
    Prerequisite: Treeman, Forest’s Reach racial power.
    Benefit: You threaten all squares within your reach when you use your Forest’s Reach racial power.

Paragon Tier Feats

Bark Skin
    Benefit: You gain resist 5 to all until the end of your next turn when you are first bloodied.

Epic Tier Feats

Extended Reach
    Prerequisite: Treeman, Forest’s Reach racial power
    Benefit: Your Forest’s Reach racial power grants you Reach +2.

Now... Threatening Reach may be too powerful for a Heroic Teir feat, so I'm willing to take feedback on that. Or on anything else, so far.

Chris
    ekomega
    Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by ekomega »

I think swapping the place of Threatening Reach and Barkskin. Barkskin is probably high heroic, but Threatening Reach is paragon.

I think it looks good so far.
    BlanchPrez
    Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

[quote="ekomega"]I think swapping the place of Threatening Reach and Barkskin. Barkskin is probably high heroic, but Threatening Reach is paragon.

I think it looks good so far.[/quote]

Yeah, I think I agree with that.

Now, onto racial paragon paths and epic destinies!

Chris

devlin1
    Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

BTW, Barkskin is already the name of a level 2 druid utility. Might confuse things.
    Mike Olson
    BlanchPrez
    Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

[quote="devlin1"]BTW, Barkskin is already the name of a level 2 druid utility. Might confuse things.[/quote]

Well, most of these are working names anyway. But, thanks. I'll try to come up with something better.

Chris

ekomega
    Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by ekomega »

[quote="devlin1"]BTW, Barkskin is already the name of a level 2 druid utility. Might confuse things.[/quote]

It's also the name of a type of armor.

It's funny, because many classes, and especially Paragon Paths, get similar (or the same) abilities, but they are named something different every single time.

It's like the naming convention is now to come up with an ability, and then come up with 20 names for the same ability, so they can apply it across the board to all classes and have it be the same but sound different.

BlanchPrez
    Daring Demonologist

Post by BlanchPrez »

Okay, so I'm still working on a Paragon Path for this race, as it turns out they are more difficult to write up than I at first thought.

In the meantime, however, here's the PHB style write up of Treemen.

Treemen

Racial Traits

Thick Trunk: You gain +1 to your Fortitude defense.
    Forest’s Reach: You gain the Forest’s Reach racial power.

Forest’s Reach (Treeman Racial Power)
    You extend your branch like arms to reach opponents further away.
    Encounter
    Minor Action, Personal

Effect: You gain Reach +1 until the end of your next turn.

In a few remote places, the power of the feywild, or even the feywild itself, touches the world, and the effect is amazing. Whole groves of ancient trees become sentient, and they thirst for knowledge of the world outside. Using the power of the feywild, these ancient trees created a new race, the Treemen, who they then send out into the world to be a part of it, to learn all they can of it, and then to return to their grove and impart all they learned. Appearing as humanoid trees, they have a strong affinity with the primal spirits of the world, as well as a strong connection with the feywild. They wander the world, looking to learn all they can.

Play a treeman if you want…

• To be an exotic race that is new to the world.
    • To have a strong affinity to nature.
    • To be a member of a race that favors the Druid, Shaman and Warden classes.

Physical Qualities

Treemen literally are humanoid looking trees, with two legs with root like feet, branch like arms and a head that appears to be a rudimentary face. They have leaves that seem to mimic human hair, appearing on the tops of their heads and can often appear on their face as beards. They do range in size somewhat, some being more broad and thick while others are thinner and even gangly. The coloration of their bark and appearance of their leaves varies some depending on the part of the world where their parent grove comes from, giving them a broad selection of appearances, with small needle like pine leaves, to the broad flat leaves of the jungle, with bark color ranging from pale blond to nearly black. Their eyes are always, however, a black orb, with no whites at all. Their faces are their most interesting feature (some other humanoids would say disturbing). It often appears as a collection of knots and bumps that has the general appearance of a face, and some standard humanoid features appear to be optional to a treeman. For example, it is not uncommon for some treemen to have no “nose,” or “ears,” even though these organs to exist.

Treemen are, despite their name, genderless, though many will take on male or female characteristics. They are born of seeds planted by their parent grove, and grow like a normal tree, with feet planted firmly in the soil, until they reach adulthood, when they first uproot themselves and take steps into the larger world. They also don’t need to eat in the normal sense of the word. Their leaves provide photosynthesis, as a normal plant, and they get other minerals and nutrients from soil and water. As travelers often living in cities or adventurers in caves and dungeons, finding soil to plan one self in is difficult, but treemen can absorb the soil by eating it, and so treemen often carry bags of soil around for just this purpose.

Playing a Treemen

Treemen are in general very friendly and outgoing, taking each individual as they come. But like any species, they will learn to act in accordance to their surroundings, and often take on the prejudices of the community they find themselves in. They are incessantly curious about the world around them, sticking their preverbal nose into everything, sometimes just to see what happens. This is not to say that they are rash or impulsive, however, though they are thought of that way by their parent groves. The average treemen will stop to think over his actions before making a decision, being seen as ponderous by the standards of most other races. For example as a treemen becomes curious about something they will stop and think about acting on that curiosity, slowly realize that such action may cause it harm, but ultimately deciding on making that action anyway, just to see what the harm feels like. It’s very confusing to other races, leading to the general belief that treemen are slow witted.

Even though their role is to learn all they can of the world, they also have the goal of being a part of that world, so they are not merely observing as outsiders. Different treemen will follow these two tenants in different ways. Most become wanderers, stopping off in a town or city to learn of its customs before moving on. These treemen often become merchant traders, caravan masters or even adventurers. Others will adopt a community, living among its people and learn its ways inside and out, becoming vital members of that community. These treemen can have almost any role, from farmer, tailor and blacksmith to, in some very rare instances, lords of the manor. Though treemen have no religious predilection as a race, most treemen will adopt religious beliefs as they travel. For the most part, treemen prefer nature friendly deities, such as Corellon and Melora. Others will follow Ioun, the lord of knowledge. Still others will not worship any god, and instead pray to the primal spirits. In general, choosing (or even not choosing) a deity is considered a personal choice among treemen.

Because treemen are so rare in the world, it is odd to see more than one in any one place. They have no lands to call their own outside their hidden groves. There is no treemen culture to speak off, and most treemen choose the cultures of the races around them, either adopting a culture whole cloth, or picking and choosing the parts of various cultures as they like. The one commonality among treemen is that individuality is prized. Each treemen is free to experience the world as they see fit. In fact, the more and varied ways to experience the world the better, so that the ancient groves they report too will have multiple views to absorb and learn from.

Clothing is another matter of personal choice among treemen. Having no external genitals, clothing is usually optional among treemen, though most wear simple frocks or togas, so as to not offend their neighbors and companions. Often their clothing style is a mish-mash of the various cultures they have visited, taking the parts they liked and combining them with parts of other cultures. These often clashing mix of styles can often upset the sensibilities of the other races, and so treemen who live in one place for any length of time will usually tone down their style, or even fully adopt the clothing style of their community.
    For the most part, treemen embrace life and all its varied inhabitants, and are usually happy and even childlike in their enjoyment of even the most gruesome of events.

Treemen Characteristics: Curious, childlike, thoughtful, experimental, open minded, friendly, trusting

Treemen Names: Willowbark, Darkleaf, Dawnbranch, Redbark, Sunroot, Twigarms, Barkface, Rootgreen, Pineleaf, Oakeyes, Greattrunk

Treemen Adventurers

Three sample treemen adventurers are described below.

Willowbark is a treemen druid who has spent her life wandering the world in search of other sacred groves and learning the mysteries of nature. She has taken to a group of adventurers who, for the most part, mirror these goals, wishing to see far away places and unexplored lands. They tend to call Willowbark “she,” though she isn’t quite sure yet why. For the most part, Willowbark has avoid cities, as the noise, crowded condition s and lack of nature often drive her to craziness. She is still not sure why it was wrong for her to kill that animal that continued to try to pee on its leg. As far as Willowbark is concerned, the parent grove is better off not knowing about the outside world. She has determined that were humans and the other races learn of the groves location, they would rush there to cut it down and tear it apart. As such, Willowbark has dedicated herself to protecting not only the grove, but the other wonders of nature she has seen, and is grateful to have some stalwart companions at her side.

Greattrunk’s first experiences outside the parent grove that birthed him was in a large city. There, he was welcomed by the dragonborn priest of Kord, who told him all about the stormlord. Greattrunk found the stormlord appealing, and the priest took him back to his temple, where Greattrunk was trained as a warrior of Kord, a fighter who reveled in the thrill of battle. He has since joined a party of adventurers, seeking out greater and greater threats to challenge his skill at arms and to bring greater glory to the stormlord. Greattrunk is enamored with city life, and prefers it to life in the wild, except where such life will grant him a chance at battle. His companions see him as single minded, and his dwarven friend has of late begun teaching him of other joys in life, such as card and dice games, and his mage friend has even begun to teach Greattrunk about art. He finds painting to be strangely relaxing and a worthy way for a warrior to express himself when not in battle.

Darkleaf is a treemen warden, created by a parent grove for a very specific purpose. The parent grove was gifted with a vision of the future. It was a dark future, one of fire and death, destruction on a massive scale that threatened even the remote location of the grove. They sent Darkleaf into the world to find out about this threat and, if possible, stop it. Darkleaf has sense learned much about this threat, a growing evil that threatens all life in the world and has been felt by others. He has banded with such who have felt this threat and seeks a way to stop it.

Racial Feats

Heroic Tier Feats

Thick Branches

Bloodied Resistance

Paragon Tier Feats

Threatening Reach
    Prerequisite: Treeman, Forest’s Reach racial power.
    Benefit: You threaten all squares within your reach when you use your Forest’s Reach racial power.

Epic Tier Feats

Extended Reach
    Prerequisite: Treeman, Forest’s Reach racial power
    Benefit: Your Forest’s Reach racial power grants you Reach +2.

Chris