Join the space navy and see the universe!

Seeking players or a GM?
Scolopendra
One-Armed Skeleton

Join the space navy and see the universe!

Post by Scolopendra »

Yes, I live! I know I disappeared for a while but, as UberSnotling can tell you, that's because I attached myself to a gaming group like a remora attaches itself to a shark and was generally having a high old time. Once two games sort of drew themselves down, and a USN lieutenant joined up, I offered to run a Star Trek campaign, despite being a foolish young little thing.

According to reports, apparently I'm pretty good at it. At least as far as the first episode went.

The problem is that said lieutenant is shipping out way ahead of schedule and, for his sake, we're moving it to a Play By E-Mail (or, more accurately, Play By Google Groups) format. As this means we don't have to worry about drives, commutes, or scheduling as much, I figure--drawing upon my experience on running online RPs before--that we can fill out the crew somewhat. PBEM allows for a more ensemble cast, and I can always cut from whole cloth to make sure everyone has something to do.

"Right. So, Scolo," I hear you cry, "get to the point already."

Sure thing. First things, first, though:

BEING A STAR TREK NERD IS NOT REQUIRED.

Rule number two of the campaign is "'They did it on Voyager!' should never be an allowable rationale for anything. Ever. Even breathing." I'm going to avoid -meaningless- technobabble as much as possible.

The campaign's set in 2280, putting it about four or five years before the Wrath of Khan. Needless to say TNG and all that other stuff hasn't happened yet. Enterprise hasn't happened either, for continuity's sake. The player characters make up the bridge crew of USS Eagle, an Enterprise-class heavy cruiser currently playing Horatio Hornblower's Royal Navy Frigate out in the middle of nowhere (about two years out from the core of the Federation, to be more precise). The campaign is exploration-centric, with opportunities for whatever anyone really feels like doing. We're also using the FASA percentile-die rules set.

Format-wise, we'll mostly be using PBEM but in situations where drama calls for it (i.e. combat) all the local folk can either get together for PNP or else we'll do it over IRC or Skype or Google Talk or some other similar medium (or a mixture, as necessary). Thus, other than the IRC/VOIP/PNP sessions, this will be a very relaxed schedule: you see it, you respond to it, no worries about having to gas up the tank and make sure the dog's looked after before gallivanting out across the city... although I do reserve the right to move things along so we're not all stuck waiting for habitual slowpokes. ;)

I have characters already generated, and as we're not far into the campaign there's no problem if you want to generate your own using the rules put up on the Google group. Failing that, the NPCs haven't been fleshed out much so if you want to take them and make them your own, that's fine too.

I plan on ramping things back up after the holidays, but anyone can jump in anytime... and there's no commitment: if you find it's not your thing, you can bow out. I'm fully flexible with these sorts of things.

So, right now the taken roles are:
  • Captain: Captain Emil Quintana (Human Male), played by Jet Black
  • Communications/Public Affairs Officer: Lieutenant Commander FF’rixx Firefur (Caitian Female), played by The Lieutenant
  • Chief Engineer: Lieutenant Commander Murlock (Vulcan Male), played by UberSnotling
  • Chief Science Officer: Lieutenant Commander Benjamin Fraser, played by Cetaganda
And the available roles (currently NPCs, and fully negotiable) are:
  • Executive Officer: Commander John Albert (Human Male), a blonde-haired, blue-eyed, golly-gee-whillikers All-American Boy Scout straight out of the 1950s. Too bad he's about three and a third centuries out of time. Is currently acting more or less as the Proper Starfleet Conscience at the moment ("Sir, we can't General Order 24 the planet unless it's a threat to the Federation as a whole." "The planet's melting and if that stuff got elsewhere, that'd be a threat, right?").
  • Chief Tactical Officer: Lieutenant Commander Throx Jagwartz (Tellarite Male), a sullen ex-hero who doesn't talk much about any of the rumors surrounding him (namely, being a heroic cadet who single-handedly saved a colony mission from bandits, or falling from grace due to a bribery scandal). Expresses himself primarily through grumbling, muttering "headshot" to himself when he fires the phasers, and making modern art out of smashing alcohol bottles full of sticky paint at a canvas. He's considered a modern Pollock and held in surprisingly high regard in artistic circles.
  • Chief Navigation Officer: Lieutenant Xedwee il’ip’sa’Noss (Edoan/Edosian Female), a quiet, unassuming ship-driver who, unlike most crack pilots, isn't very good at being a braggart and is probably too cautious for her own good. Apparently she used to front a locally popular band at one point but she doesn't talk about it, much preferring to fly, sail, or drive.
  • Chief Security Officer: Lieutenant Peter "Old Man" Yates (Human Male), a grey-haired friendly mutton chopped man built like a tank and, while not as dense (that would be stereotypical!) has absolutely no interest in doing anything other than what he does: maintaining the law. Imagines himself to be a great Victorian-era explorer in his free time; uses his years as a frontier lawman to its fullest when on duty. Enjoys reading Kipling.
For the time being I'm holding the Chief Medical Officer to the side because I promised I'd hold a seat for someone. Other than that, take your pick. PM me or post here if you're interested.

Thanks for at least giving it a look!
Just in case anyone wants to watch me run something.

I'll have you know I've been doing this since I was six.
Proud user of the "Are you sure you want to do that?" Clueless Player Warning System.
Uber_snotling
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Uber_snotling »

Not joining this game would be illogical.

The probability of fun is upwards of 98.3%.
Jet Black
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Jet Black »

Diplomacy by phaser is fun!!!
Scolopendra
One-Armed Skeleton

Addendum!

Post by Scolopendra »

Oh yeah, I forgot. For those chat-run moments, you may as well let me know what chat/VOIP programs you have (IRC clients, Skype, Ventrilo, Google Talk, etc. etc. etc.).

Proud user of the "Are you sure you want to do that?" Clueless Player Warning System.
JALU3
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by JALU3 »

Would there be a possibility of you running an in person PnP group? What system are you using?
Scolopendra
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Scolopendra »

That's just it. It was a in-person PnP group, but then one of the players is shipping out and he'd still like to play (after going without for so long) and I'd like to Do My Part (TM) for morale. So it's going to be mostly PBeM.

The system we're using is FASA's percentile-die based Star Trek Roleplaying Game, a blast from the late 1980s. So far it's worked out well enough.

That being said, starship combat portions of the game may end up being in person if it can be arranged, and I'm not against holding in-person sessions where the Communications/Public Affairs Officer could be expected not to contribute.