Eberron game in August

Seeking players or a GM?
ekomega
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Eberron game in August

Post by ekomega »

Hello everyone.

I have considered running another Eberron game, starting sometime in August. The system will be DnD 3.5.

I just wanted to get an idea of general interest, and let people know that I will probably be starting a game. I saw several posts where people wanted to play Eberron games, so here I am.

I've run 2 major Eberron games so far, one for 2 years from 1-13 level, one for 4 months from first through 5th level (IIRC). I've run several different smaller adventures.

I'm very fond of Eberron, and it's the only campaign setting I use now. I've got all the books (except SoS).

I don't know what level we'd start at, probably 1. I don't have any details. I have general rules about character creation, if you want them.

There are 2-4 players already (not sure), and we're looking to fill out the rest (max of 6 total). Our current venues for playing are Rancho Bernardo and Chula Vista (by SWC). We'd likely continue at one of these places, unless someone has a comfortable gaming area (table, chairs, etc.). We do carpool, but most of our cars are small.

Please let me know if there is any interest, and I'll get back to you about playing in 3-4 months. Thanks!

ekomega (at) yahoo (dot) com
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

Very cool....are you going to the RPG-SD meet-up on Saturday?
Dragonmaster Zoc
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Dragonmaster Zoc »

I've been looking for something in the Rancho Bernardo area, though I can't say I'd be thrilled in having to wait until August.

I've had one or two offers for games outside of that area, but I'm really struggling with justifying the lengthy commute. I'd definitely like to know more about your game, though. At least the character creation rules, so I could start thinking some things over preliminarily.

I can't say I've ever played Eberron (I don't normally trust any published settings, due to bad instances in the past), but I'm familiar with the basics. And of course, I'd be willing to learn.
ekomega
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by ekomega »

I'd love to start sooner, but I will be out of the country in June and July, so I can't start the game before that.

Character creation for stats will be my system of a total +7 bonus to your stats divided how you choose (before racial modifiers). This is based on me rolling (4d6 - 1 die) 6 times, about 100 times, plotting the results, and finding +7 total to be the most frequent result. You get to assign 3 even numbered, and 3 odd numbers as you desire. This'd be like a 16 STR (+3), 16 WIS (+3), 12 CON (+1) and then 11 in CHA, INT, and DEX. Total of +7 bonus in all stats, three even scores, three odd scores.

I'm open on classes, so any class from PHB, any Complete books (except Champion), PHB 2, any Eberron books, and Tome of Battle (unless it turns out to be nuts, and then I'll respectfully kill the character and ban the book). If someone wants to play psionics, then the psionics books are in also.

Races will be any PHB race, any Eberron race, and certain monstrous races (Kenku, Goblin, Hobgoblin, kobold, warforged scout). No subraces, no exceptions. If you have a weird character concept, I might be open. For psionics, it'd have to fit into Eberron, which mostly means just kalashtar or psiforged (or a really good idea).

Feats can be from the same books as classes.

Spells are only from PHB, PHB 2, and Eberron books. For psionics, it'd include the psionics books.

I'd expect (or at the very least hope) that you'd be willing to read some basic Eberron material to get familiar with the world. I have some condensed info, not a whole book, to make people familiar. Without reading it, you will likely not know what is going on. Eberron is very different than FR, etc.

I think that's everything.
ekomega
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by ekomega »

I forgot some things.

Previously, we always played on Saturdays from 1-6 or 1-7. The theory was you eat lunch before you come, then you get to go out, eat dinner, and enjoy Saturday night after having a fun day.

We could change that, but Saturday and Sunday are the only really good times. I don't like staying up really late playing, after a long day at work.

For this game, I think during the character creation day, we would all meet and the players would decide exactly how they know each other, etc. I am leaning towards the PCs all being a member of some kind of organization together (like being a group of inquisitives just starting out or something). But it has to be involved (to give me things to work with) and the relationships cannot be tenuous (we met in a bar).
Dragonmaster Zoc
One-Armed Skeleton

The way things are going, I'll be looking to run my own short-term game for the next few months, until yours starts up. Probably.
ekomega
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by ekomega »

Update:

We currently have two players, with one additional indefinite who I can't seem to get in contact with.

I like having 4-5 players, so we'd need to find someone else.

Also, after my long vacation, I am feeling demotivated about running a game again. So unless there's a lot of interest, I don't know if there's going to be a game.

I love Eberron, and I can make a great game. Please let me know if you want to join. I could also be tempted to run Eyes of the Lich Queen if anyone wants to buy it.

Oh, and we could always just start a regular Munchkin game. We have the set, and expansions 1, 3, and 4.
mrlost
Mustachioed Pugilist

Post by mrlost »

Well, I'm interested but I doubt that I can commit the time to drive all that way. I just finished running an mini-campaign from 6th to 15th level set in Karrnath for the Champions group. Actual play is here

Good luck on it. Eberron is the most interesting and fun setting since Planescape, and a great deal easier to run than Planescape.

I really like the Dragonmark stuff, and the flavorful kitchen sink quality of the game. As they took all the silly parts of D&D and reimagined them to be totally awesome.

What is your group dynamic like, Ekomega? Tell us more about the game.
SEVEN_SEVEN_SEVEN
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by SEVEN_SEVEN_SEVEN »

I would like to play Eberron. I only played Eberron a few time love the setting. I have play D&D 3.5 a lot. Can you fit me in?
Ranulf

Still Looking for Players?

Post by Ranulf »

I am unfamiliar with Eberron. I understand you are planning on using 3.5 rules. I assume as a 3.5 only player I could pick the game up fairly easily? Are you still planning on playing and if so, what are the details?
With a flick of his wrist and the muttering of a word, his enemy was no more.
Dragonmaster Zoc
One-Armed Skeleton

I'm still interested, as long as it's on the weekend (with preferences to Rancho Bernardo).
ekomega
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by ekomega »

Okay, since there's some interest, I'll reply.

I don't know what the story/theme/etc. of the game would be. I have a few ideas, but nothing concrete yet.

If you know DnD 3.5, that should be good. The only differences with the Eberron setting, compared to Greyhawk are:

1) The world, i.e. a new map.
2) The magical technology, which means low level magic everywhere and high level magic almost nowhere. Also, trains and airships.
3) The dragonmarks, which are controlled by feats and PrCs, same as everything else in 3.5.
4) The organizations, gods, etc.
5) Different notions of monsters races and alignments.

It really helps if you have knowledge of, or have read something about, Eberron. Even small anything is better than nothing. This is because you have to throw out your preconceptions about DnD, such as all red dragons are evil or it is okay to kill hobgoblins simply because they are hobgoblins. These things are not true in Eberron.

As for group dynamic, since there isn't really a "group" anymore, it's hard to say. The philosophy behind the game before was to have some fun on a Saturday, and still be able to go out and have a life. So we went from lunch until dinner (occasionally a later dinner). This way we weren't interrupted by meals, and Sat. night was open. We tried several time frames, but found that with 4 hours we felt that we didn't get anything done, and with more than 6 hours it was too long, so we tended towards 5-6 hour sessions, every week. That can be time consuming for some people.

Starting after lunch kills your morning, especially if you go out on Friday night. So you kind of lose your whole Saturday, and we were trying to solve that problem, but the campaign ended. Any ideas are appreciated. The other idea is that I don't like playing late at night because I am tired.

We're a laid back bunch of people (the three of us), and I've gotten a lot more laid back. I'm willing to allow almost anything, as long as it has a good story. That's not to say there aren't consequences for your choices (i.e. I'd let someone play an intelligent skeleton, but no one is going to treat them well), since some character concepts are just bad. I don't like munchkins/powergamers (intolerant), I hate cheating, and I tend to stay in low levels because high levels are kind of annoying to me (12+). We tend to get off-topic, but I'm okay at keeping it to a minimum.

I always write my own stories, although in the campaign world, and I occasionally contradict the books, because I am allowed to. I am working out a way to prevent preparation from consuming too much of my time, short of running modules, but I currently spend a lot of time (too much says my girlfriend) making the games.

I don't like getting in arguments about "the book says" etc., since I couldn't care less what the book says sometimes. I also expect a little level of tactical strategy in battles, since I like that. You don't have to be an expert, but don't get flanked too often or your character will regret it (literally).

I don't do funny voices, and I try to do 50% RP and 50% fighting. RP time includes dungeon searching, etc., pretty much anything that is not actually fighting. This also includes planning for fighting (when that occurs). Sometimes it's a little more of one than the other.

We'd probably start at level 1, since I like that. I have my own way of character creation, that's kind of like Point Buy except there's no points. I guess I went over everything in previous posts about this.

I always have to approve people's character concepts, but I am not a stickler for making sure you stick to it too much, unless your character is doing something strange. Once your idea is cemented, just go with it. The exception is Tome of Battle, which I am allowing, but with the caveat that I reserve the right to kill your character and ban the book at any time (this was mentioned in a previous post).

I tend to not kill off your character if I think you will cry. I'm working on being merciless. I definitely fudge rolls, all the time. Secretly.

Any more questions? Or a date that you're interested in starting?
mrlost
Mustachioed Pugilist

Post by mrlost »

[quote="Ranulf"]I am unfamiliar with Eberron. I understand you are planning on using 3.5 rules. I assume as a 3.5 only player I could pick the game up fairly easily? Are you still planning on playing and if so, what are the details?[/quote]

Here are some [url=http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archeb/gu]articles on Eberron[/url] from the wizards site

Dragonmaster Zoc
One-Armed Skeleton

Saturday from just after lunch until just before dinner seems like the best option, all things considered (not that it's a perfect option, just better than the others). Food really does tend to not go well with a game, I've found, causing all sorts of interruptions.

As far as reducing your prep time, I don't mind if you don't have intricate details of every room and NPC we come across. As long as you have some general sense of what's going on, feel free to wing it; I won't call you out on any minor inconsistencies.

As for when to start, I'm up for whenever. My participation is still contigent upon my being able to get to wherever it is. Is the location semi-finalized?
ekomega
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by ekomega »

Chula Vista is out. So Rancho Bernardo is the only place for now. Come January, I'll be moving, and I'd prefer to move the game there, but who knows how that's going to work out.
ekomega
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by ekomega »

If we were going to start a game in September, when would be a good day?

We'd have a character creation and explanation day before the game actually began (and maybe some Munchkin playing for those who finish first).

Let me know what Saturdays work for you (not Labor Day), and send me emails so I can have everybody's addresses who is seriously interested.
Dragonmaster Zoc
One-Armed Skeleton

Nobody is saying anything.

This thing is looking like a two-sided conversation here. I was waiting to see what the consensus with everyone else was before I said anything more.

I'm up for whenever, though.
SEVEN_SEVEN_SEVEN
Bumpy-Headed Alien

I would like to join the group. I up whenever too.
mrlost
Mustachioed Pugilist

Post by mrlost »

I think I too would be interested in playing I'll PM you my character and you can decide if it would fit your game. EDIT Or I guess I can just post it here since you don't allow PMs

Corsain Cobble "the Blink Dog" emerged from Q'barra, seventeen months before the end of the Last War. He made a name for himself inspiring his soldiers. But Corsain was not born to battle. He was born to a life of privilege, groomed to be a merchant prince, a scion of House Orien. Corsain was born Corso d'Orien.

Corso was a young boy when he developed the Mark of Passage. A product of his House's breeding program it was somewhat unexpected for his Dragonmark to appear at such a young age. Before most heirs had even manifested their Mark, he unlocked the power of his birthright, and some within the House believed it to be a sign of great things to come.

During the Last War, Corso served the Courier Guild, smuggling secret codes, and battle plans across the borders of the Five Nations. Corso was well on his way to earning favor, and great prestige within his House, He natural skill at the arts of intrigue, growing ever more accustomed the intelligence game. and had built up a modest network of contacts throughout the major Human metropolises of Khorvaire. But his pride was to be his ultimate downfall.

While visiting Rekkenmark, on a commission, he was invited to a masquerade ball held by one of his contacts at the Academy. It was there that Corso d'Orien was introduced to an accomplished Elven dancer by the name of Jocasta. She was an unsurpassed beauty and it was not long before he took her to bed. Thinking little of the conquest of one so fair, he was unaware that she had taken the opportunity to drug him, and copy the contents of his messenger bag while he slept. But that was not the worst of it.

A three weeks later he saw her again in Zilargo, and they met for another brief dalliance, and then again in Cyre. Finally in Thrane, he caught her in the act. They fought, and she escaped without the contents of his bag. But that was not the worst of it. Five months later, she gave birth to a little Half-Elven girl, under an ill omen, the Moon Syphera. Five years would pass before the child developed a mixed mark.

During that time, Corso lost some prestige for his foolishness, but in the years that followed he managed to regain the favor of his House, and stood to gain much influence over the branch of his guild that resided in Thrane once his arranged marriage to Aileen d'Orien, a Dragonmarked second cousin bore fruit. His future was looking bright when the true depth of his indiscretions were came to light.

The news spread quickly, and the Masters of House Phairlan quickly identified the child's true parentage. They passed their information on to their opposite number in House Orien, and then the hammer fell. But not before Jocasta d'Phairlan met Corso d'Orien, in a cathedral in Thrane with their infant daughter in tow and told him the truth.

Agents of both Houses found them together a week later, and Corso was captured helping Jocasta and his daughter, Sypheria escape. Corso d'Orien was imprisoned, stripped of his wealth, property, and favor as a heir of the House. The House fathers decided to make an example of him, and in addition to banishing him from their number they scoured his flesh, and torn the Mark of Passage from his face. The mark later re-grew somewhere else on his body, but his face still bears a disfiguring scar across the right cheek all the way to his right ear.

He was Excoriated from the House of his fathers, and banished to Q'barra with the understanding of what would happen if he ever returned to the Five Nations. At the very least Aileen would kill him for tainting her standing within their House.

In Q'barra he joined a colonial venture, as a guide, and set off for the frontier with an expedition where he faked his death in a rock slide. Corso changed his name to Corsain Cobble, and smuggled himself back into the Nations in the hopes of being reunited with his daughter and her mother. He enlisted in Thrane's Holy Army and rocketed his way up to Sergeant before the war ended. Corsain "the Blink Dog," his men called him, for he was always "blinking" out of trouble, the lucky dog.

Corsain dreams of destroying his former House, or alternatively, earning his way back into its good graces. But most of all he wants to find his daughter. She will be seven this winter.

Goals: Restore his standing within House Orien or failing that deal lasting damage to it.

Motivation: Revenge and/or redemption

Class: Marshal, from the Miniatures Handbook

Role within a party: Combat Support, Buffer, and Faceman
ekomega
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by ekomega »

I think your character would fit well. I always like to play up the penalties for mixing between houses, as it's an important facet of the world. Although, he should've known she was Phiarlan or Thuranni, as that was the first thing I thought when I read she was an elven dancer.

I'm still trying to hear definitely from my two reliable players. I think toward the end of the month, 22 or 29, will work out best, and give me time to "get ahead" and think of something.

I'll let you know in advance.

The game will definitely be in Rancho Bernardo, near Bernardo Center Drive.

The last question for everyone is "What country/city do you want to start in?"

Please send me emails if you have any character ideas or questions or anything. ekomega (at) yahoo (dot) com.
ekomega
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by ekomega »

I also want everyone to have a relationship with a Dragonmarked House.

This does not mean you have to have a Dragonmark (or even consider getting one later). Rather, it means you somehow have to be associated with one house (or more).

For example, you could:

1) have a strong/weak alliance/enmity to a particular house(s).
2) have a dragonmark.
3) be Favored in House, but with no dragonmark.
4) be pursued by one of the Houses for something.
5) be wanted by the Sentinel Marshals (does make things tricky)
6) have a family member who is a house scion, but you are an outcast
7) be excoriated.
8) be a foundling.

If you have a dragonmark, your primary relationship is with your own house, but secondary relationships (if you choose) can be with other houses.

With no dragonmark, you can pick any house to be related to (no restrictions on race, etc.). You have to have a reason why you have this relation.
Dragonmaster Zoc
One-Armed Skeleton

Any news about your reliable players? How many is the game up to at the moment?
ekomega
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by ekomega »

We're at 2. So we'd need 2 or 3.

It seems October 6th is the first Saturday available, so that will be character creation. Please email me, if you are interested in coming. When I hear from 2 or 3 of you, I will send directions and any information you want.
mrlost
Mustachioed Pugilist

Post by mrlost »

Bad news. It looks like I'm moving. So I'm going to drop out. Sorry.
ekomega
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by ekomega »

Anyone else? We still need one or two more.
SEVEN_SEVEN_SEVEN
Bumpy-Headed Alien

I would like to play send me e-mail at dagger777@hotmail.com
ekomega
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by ekomega »

Okay, we're postponing until next weekend, October 13th, for character creation and everything. Anyone else still interested, drop me an email.
Dragonmaster Zoc
One-Armed Skeleton

Did we want to start discussing party roles? If we have a week to think about characters, I'd rather get an early start.
ekomega
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by ekomega »

Two people in the group don't post here, so that's kind of out. I want to make it pretty effortless, and I think we can handle it in a few hours.

Of course, as there will be 4 of you, you should probably fill out the 4 basic party roles. But you don't have to. And you can vary on each one.
ekomega
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by ekomega »

If you are not currently on fire, and are interested in joining an Eberron game, send a message. We have plenty of books, in case yours burned down. We are looking for 1 or 2 more players.

It seems we will be playing a weekly game.

Hope to hear from you!
PhalenAngel

Post by PhalenAngel »

I've return from a long sabatical overseas....and am very interested in getting back "into the game". Think of me as "The Natural" and we'll get along fine. I'm an orginal player of AD&D and a solid player....though I'm a novice at 3.5 rules. I'm a solid DM (that's the old term) and a creative player that picks up quickly on new rules. I'm not limited by travel in San Diego area and am free most weekends. I prefer Forgotten Realms settings but am not limiting myself. I'm an old-school player....but dedicated once I start with a group....and I hold my own in making the game enjoyable. Contact me if you're like-minded or need a mature player.
ekomega
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by ekomega »

We are not looking for players anymore. In fact, this campaign is put on hold.

Can we get the thread locked? Thanks.