Looking to join a game

Seeking players or a GM?
Uber_snotling
One-Armed Skeleton

Looking to join a game

Post by Uber_snotling »

Howdy all,

I have recently moved down here from the Bay Area and I'm looking to join an existing group, or maybe start a new one if there is interest.

I'm mostly interested in table-top gaming and am familiar with the game mechanics from numerous systems.

Anyway, if anyone has any recommendations for ongoing games looking to add players, specifically any in the La Jolla/UCSD area, please let me know.
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

Hey hey, Uber Snotling. Welcome to the boards.

It may interest you to know we have our annual One-Shot Game Day coming up--it's a very, very mini con. We get together to eat, drink, run, and play. It'd be a good opportunity to meet a whole bunch of local gamers at once and play in a one-shot or two. There are more details in one of these other forums... the "RPG-San Diego meet-up discussion" forum, or whatever it's called. Check that out.
Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
Spirit of the Blank: A blog.
Roll Some Dice: Another blog.
jimmy corrigan

Post by jimmy corrigan »

i second that notion. uber snotling, you should definitely come to this thing. it's super chill, and a perfect opportunity to get to know some sd gamers. it's on the 28th around noon (details to come) and you can find brief descriptions of the one-shot games offered here.
fgarber
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by fgarber »

So, I'm bumping this thread up again, because my wife and I are looking for a game. We're in the Mission Valley area. We're wondering what's out there. You met us at the Meet-up (playing in the SotC : BBanzai game : Wally(?) & Rocker)

So far, I've seen a Scion game start (and fill) up, and there's an Arcana Evolved near us... that also seems pretty full.

I'd host something myself, but we live in a medium-sized closet. Is there somewhere established where gamers often gather, i.e. one of the college campuses? A friendly game store? Coffee shops?

-Fred
(of "The Fred & Heather Show")
Drew
Pitchfork Wielding Peasant

Post by Drew »

Well, the Central SD Role Players list has a couple of new games starting including on Cahpions and one DnD but they are both out in El Cajon... granted taht is not too far, if you don't mind driving...

http://roleplayers.meetup.com/345/?gj=sj3
In an infinite universe anything is not only possible, it's inevitable.
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

Fgarber you might want to PM the respective Scion and Arcana Evolved group leaders (Blanch Prez and Drew). They might seemed filled but it never hurts to connect with those folks just in case they actually have room or they get a lot of wheaties(flakes).
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

We need to resurrect the One-Shots group. I know we just had the One-Shot Day thing, but it seems like there used to be a one-shot going on every couple of weeks or so.
Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

Feng Shui or Call of Cthulhu anyone?
Drew

Post by Drew »

You know, there is a plce in North Park (over on Ray street) with a rather sizable back room that can be rented out for pretty cheap, if we got enough people. It was like $50 an hour but can easily have 50 people! Would be a good place to have another "game day".
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="Drew"]You know, there is a plce in North Park (over on Ray street) with a rather sizable back room that can be rented out for pretty cheap, if we got enough people. It was like $50 an hour but can easily have 50 people! Would be a good place to have another "game day".[/quote]
I think it's been suggested before that we do the One-Shot Day more than once a year, but it seems like it's hard enough for most people to schedule just the one day of it, not to mention the time involved with choosing and prepping games. And I'm not sure that most people want to have an additional overhead expense for what's essentially a bunch of friends getting together on a Saturday. Considering that the last One-Shot Day ran from about 1:00 to a little after midnight, $50 an hour is pretty pricey for our needs, IMO.

However, long, long ago, there was talk of getting together a genuine RPG San Diego convention, but that fell through for some reason or another. They were looking at much bigger venues than a single back room, but of course, in theory a full-scale con would attract enough paying customers to at least cover the expenses involved. I'm not sure what happened with that; I think maybe it was just too big a hassle in the end.

There used to be a semi-regular informal one-shot group on Thursdays, but I think that's fallen by the wayside for some reason. Were I still in San Diego, I'd try to bring it back. I'm always up for a good one-shot.

Mike Olson
Illuman23
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by Illuman23 »

I'm all for participating in a One-Shot night occasionally. Scheduling would be the most difficult part, but I think it could be a lot of fun.

I'm totally down for some Cthulhu/Feng Shui, and if the number of participates stays reasonable we could do it at my place in Hillcrest. I would love to run a one shot Dark Tower/Infinite Worlds story into the mix if people are interested.
lu lu lu I've got some apples
lu lu lu You've got some too
lu lu lu Let's make some applesauce
Take off our clothes and lu lu lu
--Butters

<FNORD>
Drew

Post by Drew »

Yeah, but if you do the math on that, it comes out to $12 a piece. Probably would be a discount for that length of time. Anyway, it would be a good place to host a small con. Hell, I am sure there are a few of us, myself included, who would be willing to shell out cash in advance and just plan to eat the loss if enough people don't show up. Get anyone who wants to "invest" and split whatever is made at the door in donations. We could even talk to some of the game stores to see if they wanted to set up shop.

Just dreaming out loud. :mrgreen:

[quote="devlin1"]I think it's been suggested before that we do the One-Shot Day more than once a year, but it seems like it's hard enough for most people to schedule just the one day of it, not to mention the time involved with choosing and prepping games. And I'm not sure that most people want to have an additional overhead expense for what's essentially a bunch of friends getting together on a Saturday. Considering that the last One-Shot Day ran from about 1:00 to a little after midnight, $50 an hour is pretty pricey for our needs, IMO.

However, long, long ago, there was talk of getting together a genuine RPG San Diego convention, but that fell through for some reason or another. They were looking at much bigger venues than a single back room, but of course, in theory a full-scale con would attract enough paying customers to at least cover the expenses involved. I'm not sure what happened with that; I think maybe it was just too big a hassle in the end.

There used to be a semi-regular informal one-shot group on Thursdays, but I think that's fallen by the wayside for some reason. Were I still in San Diego, I'd try to bring it back. I'm always up for a good one-shot.[/quote]

devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="Drew"]Yeah, but if you do the math on that, it comes out to $12 a piece. Probably would be a discount for that length of time. Anyway, it would be a good place to host a small con. Hell, I am sure there are a few of us, myself included, who would be willing to shell out cash in advance and just plan to eat the loss if enough people don't show up. Get anyone who wants to "invest" and split whatever is made at the door in donations. We could even talk to some of the game stores to see if they wanted to set up shop.

Just dreaming out loud. :mrgreen:[/quote]

If you search around in the archives, you should be able to find all the old threads (and when I say "old," I mean a couple years ago) on this. People talked about venues and sponsorship and the whole shebang. They met regularly, visited places, crunched numbers, discussed finances, etc., and in the end, they dropped it. Why, I don't know. Maybe you could start a thread in Discussion about it and possibly get the idea going again. I'm all for having a good San Diego RPG con (Game Fest does not count; if you've been, you know why) in a hotel or something. Strategicon does it, somehow; I don't see why we/you can't as well.

(In fact, maybe those Strategicon types might be interested in collaborating on this....)

We had about 20 people for that last One-Shot Day, and were there for 13 hours. If it's $50 an hour, that works out to more than $12 each. Almost three times that, actually ($50 x 13 hours = $650 / 20 people = $32.50). But even if it were only $12, I'd probably be against it. I don't see why I should have to pay $12 to game with friends in a back room in North Park when I can game for [i]free [/i]with them in an actual [i]house [/i]that has food, drink, and a [i]Wii[/i]. Also, that room may be able to hold 50 people, but there's a difference between how many it can [i]hold [/i]and how many can reasonably [i]game [/i]in there. Cram people and/or tables too close together and we'll all end up with headaches. Chris and Simon need to be able to shout in peace when they GM.

Edit: [url=http://rpg-sandiego.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=30&page=4&pp=20&sort=lastpost&order=desc&daysprune=-1]Here's the location of some of the "lost" threads discussing the logistics of running a con[/url], if you're interested. The most recent post of the discussion is Mord's "Well then...," wherein he and everyone else give up on the idea.

Mike Olson
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

On the other hand, every year we get a bigger showing for the rpg-sandiego all-day one-shot meet-up (the official name). Eventually (maybe even next year) it'll be too big to host at someone's house. We should look around for alternate venues.

The reason we eventually gave up on doing the actual con was because it was too much organization with not enough interest. I think I would've had to do 80% of the work and I didn't have the time for it.

My opinion at the time (and remains now) was to start small and build our way up. The rpg-sandiego all-day one-shot meet-up will eventually be a full-blown con, just you wait and see!
Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="mordraine"]the [b]rpg-sandiego all-day one-shot meet-up [/b](the official name). [/quote]
Can we just call it "HyphenQuest"?

True, it's been growing every year, but it's going to have to grow far past 20 participants to require a significantly larger venue. Right now, it's mostly people who already know each other augmented by a few new (and welcome) faces. We'd need to invert that to take things to the next level.

Mike Olson
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="devlin1"]Can we just call it "HyphenQuest"?[/quote]

Actually... HyphenCon... That has a ring to it.

[quote="devlin1"]True, it's been growing every year, but it's going to have to grow far past 20 participants to require a significantly larger venue. Right now, it's mostly people who already know each other augmented by a few new (and welcome) faces. We'd need to invert that to take things to the next level.[/quote]

Well, I'm just not sure how many more people Neuro and Winter can fit in their place. We were pretty much at capacity with 20.

Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

We can always raid the Gamefeista at Gametowne for day