D&D 3.5 DM looking for players

Seeking players or a GM?
DanSTC

Post by DanSTC »

Hi fellow gamers, I'm a fairly inexperienced (but hardly first-time) DM looking to cut my teeth and start up a solid gaming group. (More personal info on me may be found in this thread: http://rpg-sandiego.org/phpBB2/viewtopi ... sc&start=0 )

I'm looking for people interested in player in the D&D 3.5 game who want to have a good time, and have positive gaming attitudes.

Playtimes will be during the evenings on either Tuesday, Friday, or Sunday.

If you're interested in joirning submit me an email at DanSTC@san.rr.com with “D&D player submission” in the subject line. In the email, tell me your first name, your age, your gender, what part of San Diego you hail from (I live in Scripps Ranch), your prior gaming experience (if any) and a little about yourself. (I.E. Your interests aside from gaming, where you might be going to school or work, anything else you’d like to share, etc.)

Also, if you have a friend you’re sure could join the group, feel free to let me know.

I will be accepting players on a first-come, first-serve basis. If you’re not invited, I’ll send you an email letting you know that you’re on the list in case someone drops. (In new gaming groups, someone almost always does, for whatever reason, so don't worry.)

Here’s some info you should be aware if you are selected to join the group:

The first game will be a run through the module “Sunless Citadel” – a relatively simple dungeon crawl designed to (re)familiarize us all with the rules, and for me to crack my rusty DMing knuckles up a bit. This will be a very lighthearted "warm-up" game, so don’t worry too much about character depth or world background. After completing the module, we will work through a few more of the modules in the same series, and perhaps a few prefab dungeon modules. Eventually once everyone has settled in to the pace of play and become familiar enough with the rules to run through sessions smoothly, we’ll likely move on to a compelling campaign of my own design.

What to bring to the game:
Pencils, Player's handbook (3.5), and maybe a notepad. A miniature to represent your character is optional. Bring your own dice if you can, but I can supply you with some of my own if you don't have any.

For general table etiquette, don't worry about it too much...just be nice, don't whine or be rude, pay attention to what's going on, don't slow the game down, and above all, remember that it's just a game.

Happy gaming!

Edit2: Sliced down the post to make it much less heavy-handed and strict. I really don't know what I was thinking...maybe it was all those "nightmare gaming stories" I read on another rpg forum.
Chulainn
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by Chulainn »

[quote="DanSTC"]Requirements for players:

~Cut t save space~

-And lastly, always always ALWAYS remember that no matter what happens, it’s just a game.

Happy gaming![/quote]

It is JUST a game...a little too intense for me. :shock:

C

~twisting reality so you do not have to~
:nutkick:
"It's like rock, paper, scissors, crippling blow to the groin. Crippling blow to the groin always seems to win."- Wintermute
Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

Yeah. that is pretty intense.

I ask that my players not suck and prefer them to be able to hold their liquor. Oh, yeah, and bringing beer is cool. It's best if no one ever wrote a song about taking them to the zoo.
"I need no mask to speak with you. Unlike my brother. I create my own personality. Personality is my medium."

--Neuromancer, William Gibson
Lowly Uhlan
Wizened Witch

Post by Lowly Uhlan »

Hey Dan, you're setting yourself up for disappointment and opening the door to get angry at your players by laying down so many ground rules. Lighten up.

My GM ground rules:Don't whine, bathe, don't break out a laptop to do your homework during the game, speak aloud (no, you don't have telepathy) every 10 minutes or so-saying something that pertains to the game is always good, don't act all weird towards any women present, don't play in your pajamas.
Conversely, Slayer never did any concerts with Christian rockers, Stryper.

(Kerry King stated:)"I would have been too worried that our fans would have killed their fans...and them."
BreakfastOfChampions

Post by BreakfastOfChampions »

[quote="Neuro"]Yeah. that is pretty intense.

I ask that my players not suck and prefer them to be able to hold their liquor. Oh, yeah, and bringing beer is cool. It's best if no one ever wrote a song about taking them to the zoo.[/quote]

C'mon, you still play with Smartmonkey ;) :cheers:

Chulainn
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by Chulainn »

[quote="Lowly Uhlan"]
My GM ground rules:Don't whine, bathe, don't break out a laptop to do your homework during the game, speak aloud (no, you don't have telepathy) every 10 minutes or so-saying something that pertains to the game is always good, don't act all weird towards any women present, don't play in your pajamas.[/quote]

Word! That is how I look at things....I game to relax. If I wanted to do something that regimented I think I would re-up in the Army.

C

"It's like rock, paper, scissors, crippling blow to the groin. Crippling blow to the groin always seems to win."- Wintermute
BreakfastOfChampions

[quote="Lowly Uhlan"]Hey Dan, you're setting yourself up for disappointment and opening the door to get angry at your players by laying down so many ground rules. Lighten up.

My GM ground rules:Don't whine, bathe, don't break out a laptop to do your homework during the game, speak aloud (no, you don't have telepathy) every 10 minutes or so-saying something that pertains to the game is always good, don't act all weird towards any women present, don't play in your pajamas.[/quote]

Dude, so that's where the pajamas comment came from!

Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

But, I like my pajamas.

Besides, Smartmonkey's learning to hold his liquor. Bit by bit.
"I need no mask to speak with you. Unlike my brother. I create my own personality. Personality is my medium."

BreakfastOfChampions

[quote="Neuro"]But, I like my pajamas.

Besides, Smartmonkey's learning to hold his liquor. Bit by bit.[/quote]

Chunk by Chunk?

Lowly Uhlan
Wizened Witch

Post by Lowly Uhlan »

[quote="Neuro"]But, I like my pajamas.

I don't think I would have a problem being around a woman in her pajamas. :D

You guys sure like to slam smartmonkey though. Sounds like he likes the firewater.

(Kerry King stated:)"I would have been too worried that our fans would have killed their fans...and them."
DanSTC

Post by DanSTC »

[quote="Lowly Uhlan"]Hey Dan, you're setting yourself up for disappointment and opening the door to get angry at your players by laying down so many ground rules. Lighten up.

Those are pretty much exactly the sort of ground rules I'm trying to lay out. I've just gotten more wordy than you.

I agree that I might be setting myself up for disappointment by investing so much into a bunch of rules...I think I'll axe that sucker entirely.

Lowly Uhlan
Wizened Witch

Post by Lowly Uhlan »

[quote="DanSTC"][quote:a893a0dab7="Lowly Uhlan"]Hey Dan, you're setting yourself up for disappointment and opening the door to get angry at your players by laying down so many ground rules. Lighten up.

Those are pretty much exactly the sort of ground rules I'm trying to lay out. I've just gotten more wordy than you.

I agree that I might be setting myself up for disappointment by investing so much into a bunch of rules...I think I'll trim it down a little.[/quote:a893a0dab7]

It's probably pretty common for someone that hasn't GMed for awhile to do stuff like that. I was ready to completely harsh my Trek group a couple of years ago. They proved to be my best group yet, didn't have to come down on them at all.

Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

[quote="BreakfastOfChampions"][quote:faa7c05545="Neuro"]But, I like my pajamas.

Chunk by Chunk?[/quote:faa7c05545]

Ding. Ding. Ding.

Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

Does Smartmonkey sit around reading gaming books from other games during games with your group? Or does he reserve that activity for when he is slumming it at our d20 games?
"Don't do that! I peed a little." - Cthulhu after Infernus made an impressive Intimidate roll.
BreakfastOfChampions

[quote="Gotetsu"]Does Smartmonkey sit around reading gaming books from other games during games with your group? Or does he reserve that activity for when he is slumming it at our d20 games?[/quote]

He didn't during the Orpheus game. That was Skyman's job. Though I think he was reading an Orpheus book anyhow. ;)

Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

[quote="Gotetsu"]Does Smartmonkey sit around reading gaming books from other games during games with your group? Or does he reserve that activity for when he is slumming it at our d20 games?[/quote]

Nope, that's completely reserved for you guys, evidently.

Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

[quote="BreakfastOfChampions"][quote:bcfa859672="Gotetsu"]Does Smartmonkey sit around reading gaming books from other games during games with your group? Or does he reserve that activity for when he is slumming it at our d20 games?[/quote]

He didn't during the Orpheus game. That was Skyman's job. Though I think he was reading an Orpheus book anyhow. ]

Yeah that was me. I was trying to figure out my artifacts new power which will be a combination of wail and unrepose thingy. I figure since I was in ghost form I should get it ready to use it just incase something happened while we probed the prison. Sorry if it took away from the game

Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

[quote="Neuro"][quote:3542a2277b="Gotetsu"]Does Smartmonkey sit around reading gaming books from other games during games with your group? Or does he reserve that activity for when he is slumming it at our d20 games?[/quote]

Nope, that's completely reserved for you guys, evidently.[/quote:3542a2277b]

Wow. I feel so special. :roll:

Oh, well. At least he won't be doing it this week, since he's running M&M. At least, I HOPE he doesn't... :shock:

"Don't do that! I peed a little." - Cthulhu after Infernus made an impressive Intimidate roll.
BreakfastOfChampions

[quote="Skyman"][quote:4c0d619695="BreakfastOfChampions"][quote:4c0d619695="Gotetsu"]Does Smartmonkey sit around reading gaming books from other games during games with your group? Or does he reserve that activity for when he is slumming it at our d20 games?[/quote]

He didn't during the Orpheus game. That was Skyman's job. Though I think he was reading an Orpheus book anyhow. ]

Yeah that was me. I was trying to figure out my artifacts new power which will be a combination of wail and unrepose thingy. I figure since I was in ghost form I should get it ready to use it just incase something happened while we probed the prison. Sorry if it took away from the game[/quote:4c0d619695]

Besides missing your wit and sense of humor. No, not at all ;)

Foxbat
Cunning Rogue

Post by Foxbat »

[quote="Gotetsu"][quote:3ff929a923="Neuro"][quote:3ff929a923="Gotetsu"]Does Smartmonkey sit around reading gaming books from other games during games with your group? Or does he reserve that activity for when he is slumming it at our d20 games?[/quote]

Nope, that's completely reserved for you guys, evidently.[/quote:3ff929a923]

Wow. I feel so special. :roll:

Oh, well. At least he won't be doing it this week, since he's running M&M. At least, I HOPE he doesn't... :shock:[/quote:3ff929a923]

No, we'll probably have to run the game ourselves as SmartMonkey reads that new erotic anime RPG he picked up.

Daniel

When a cat is dropped, it always lands on its feet, and when toast is dropped, it always lands with the buttered side facing down. I propose to strap buttered toast to the back of a cat. The two will hover, spinning inches above the ground. With a giant buttered cat array, a high-speed monorail could easily link New York with Chicago.
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

hand Check :banned:
Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

[quote]Yeah that was me. I was trying to figure out my artifacts new power which will be a combination of wail and unrepose thingy. I figure since I was in ghost form I should get it ready to use it just incase something happened while we probed the prison. Sorry if it took away from the game[/quote]

Pfft. Don't be silly. You just seemed all quiet. I was starting to wonder if we were driving you up a wall or something.

smartmonkey
Dessicated Mummy

Post by smartmonkey »

[quote]Chunk by Chunk?[/quote]

:finger:

Straight from the heart, shortguy.

What? Did y'all think I'd miss a post about me because you hijacked some poor guys thread?

Email: Morgangilbert01 @ gmail.com

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/people/Morgan_Gilbert/577987881

"If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable."
DanSTC

Post by DanSTC »

Hey guys, I don't mean to be a jerk, but can you please not hijack my thread?

If you're actually interested in joining my gaming group, or have some advice you can give me, then I don't really have a problem, obviously. But this offtopic drama is getting a little silly.
DanSTC

Post by DanSTC »

Well, so far I've only got one email and it's from a guy who seems unsure about joining the group...he's just having problems registering on the forum. Still, I hope I can get him to join, since he's said that he's looking to either join a group or create a group himself.

Edit: Looks like he's interested. Yay.

Also, I've toned down the requirements at the start of the thread a bit so they're not so heavy-handed and strict.

Well, if anyone has anyone you know who's interested in getting involved in a D&D 3.5 game, please let them know that I'm on the lookout for players. :)
BreakfastOfChampions

[quote="DanSTC"]Hey guys, I don't mean to be a jerk, but can you please not hijack my thread?

If you're actually interested in joining my gaming group, or have some advice you can give me, then I don't really have a problem, obviously. But this offtopic drama is getting a little silly.[/quote]

Dude, I apologize for the hijack, but you're a quart low on Silly.

SnakeEyesX
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by SnakeEyesX »

only a quart? :lol:
"We must train like we are in battle...In battle we must perform like we have been training. The test will come in the form we never expect, but how we deal with it determines our true potential."
DanSTC

Post by DanSTC »

Okay, I've got two people so far. One guy will be able to make it for certain at this point, while the other guy says he relies on public transportation to get places, so that may be a problem.

Anyway, I'm going to keep going until I have around 4 people, but I can certainly play with at least 2.
Chulainn
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by Chulainn »

[quote="DanSTC"]Okay, I've got two people so far. One guy will be able to make it for certain at this point, while the other guy says he relies on public transportation to get places, so that may be a problem.

Anyway, I'm going to keep going until I have around 4 people, but I can certainly play with at least 2.[/quote]

Nothing like a good 'ole Play by Play, too bad no Slo-Mo! :lol:

Doh! Did I say that? :shock:

Just had ta be silly. I don't want to be a quart low!

BreakfastOfChampions

[quote="Chulainn"]
Just had ta be silly. I don't want to be a quart low![/quote]

Your .sig has a wintermute quote. I don't think its possible to be a quart low with that.

SnakeEyesX
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by SnakeEyesX »

..or so you think!

...or is it think you so?

....or is it I have no clue what I'm talking about?

.....the quest continues :twisted:
"We must train like we are in battle...In battle we must perform like we have been training. The test will come in the form we never expect, but how we deal with it determines our true potential."
DanSTC

Post by DanSTC »

The guy who relies on public transportation can't make it, but he seems nice enough, and said he's starting up his own group and will send players my way that he himself can't take.

Fortunately, the other guy has a friend who's interested in playing. I'm going to try to schedule a pre-game meeting on tuesday to get acquainted with the two of them.

So yeah, looks like I've got at least two people at this point. Yay. :)

Anyone else who's interested, please email me, 'cause I'd love to get about two more people in the group if possible.
JALU3
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by JALU3 »

What nights are you planning?
DanSTC

Post by DanSTC »

Right now it's Friday for certain. Sunday is still open, though.

Just email me if you're interested. :)
DanSTC

Post by DanSTC »

Progress report: Had three of the four (fourth one couldn't make it this week on account of being out of state visiting someone.) players in the group come in for our first session this friday.

Currently, they're playing an elf ranger, a human rogue, and a human cleric. The fourth member hasn't given me word yet, but as a logical progression to the current party, he'll probably go arcane spellcaster.

The game was pretty fun overall. I'd really have to say that the vast majority of occasional slow or awkward points throughout the session were due to my own inexperience (losing train of thought, attention wandering, losing track of the situation, etc.) as a DM rather than any fault of the players. I hope to get my skill as a DM up by pushing on through and learning how to organize my game notes better.

Fortunately, despite minor difficulties here and there, the game really began to pick up at a steady pace, especially towards the .

My biggest woe right now is that our cleric player seemed a little out of it and a little discouraged. (He also kept getting knocked unconcious too...strangely, the damage rolls I made against him always seemed to bring him just to zero health.) I suspect it may be because he's a bit more of a jaded gamer than I am, and is not really all that engaged by my sloppy newbie DMing. Well, that's all the more reason for me to work harder at getting better!

The biggest event of the night was a giant hallway clusterfuck between some angry hobgoblins and goblins. Well that, and the garbage/shithouse room in the goblinoid area, in which two goblins who had been scared off by the party attempted to flee to. After a few rounds of staggering about from the stench and one of the players getting covered in goblin puke, the players interrogated the goblins, and then shoved them back inside barricading the door with a half a ton of miscelaneous junk.

Also, when the players encountered a dragon wyrmling at one point, the rogue made a sneak attack critical hit and dropped the thing EXACTLY to zero health. (Counting the previous nonlethal damage it had taken earlier.)

So yeah, I'd say our first session was successful. Let this be a lesson to everyone; if you can't find a group, make one yourself! And heck, it doesn't matter if you suck at GMing...the way you become a good GM is by making a lot of bad GMing mistakes. Just do the best you can and you will get better.
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

I'm in the same boat. I'm not the perfect DM and I tend to learn a lot from my own suckage
BreakfastOfChampions

[quote="Skyman"]I'm in the same boat. I'm not the perfect DM and I tend to learn a lot from my own suckage[/quote]

Don't let him kid you. He's almost the perfect DM.