Players Wanted - The Good Ol' Days

Seeking players or a GM?
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Players Wanted - The Good Ol' Days

Post by Count Zero »

I am starting a Burning Wheel game. The setting is a typical D&D-style fantasy world. Within the setting, adventurers are seen as an unseemly part of society. Some people see them as thugs, others criminals, and mecenaries by most. The most positive modern image would be a bounty hunter. In spite of that reputation, they have been glorified in stories and tales. Every year young people wander off in search of adventure and easy wealth. Few ever return.

The concept is the characters are retired adventurers who have decided to leave that rough life behind. They have build careers and/or families. Some of them may be doing things related to adventuring (i.e. magic shop, weaponsmith, innkeep, etc.)

I want to have part of the character creation session be generating the setting also. The setting will be generated by the group and each player will get a collection of tokens they will use to choose basic setting concepts for things like local industry, religion, and similar things. If a player doesn't like one of thier ideas they can counter it with one of their tokens or modify it.

The themes I was looking at exploring for the game would be things like Duty, Family & Marriage, Revenge, Loyalty, Friendship, and Faith.

I have two players already, but I want 3-5 players total. If you are interested, let me know. The game will be run on bi-monthly on Saturday starting around 5 or 5:30. The game should start on January 13th or 20th.
Whenever I get confused about D&D alignment morality, I just imagine Abraham Lincoln and Mahatma Ghandi arm wrestling shirtless on the back of a killer whale.

In other words, I remember that it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense and deal with it best I can.
J@ke
Starship Mechanic

Post by J@ke »

No one's jumping on this shit? Really? If I weren't clear across the country...
"Man, the government is gonna feel dumb when they see my search for 'the+government+sucks+dick.'"
Kevin Gander,Barber
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

I'm actually interested but negotiating weekends is not my strong point in life
devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="J@ke"]No one's jumping on this shit? Really? If I weren't clear across the country...[/quote]
No kidding. If I weren't clear in another county....

Although, like Simon, I'm no good for weekends as a rule.

Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
Spirit of the Blank: A blog.
Roll Some Dice: Another blog.
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

Well I appreciate the support at least. To be honest, I didn't expect a huge response here. Most people had already stated they were to busy. I figured I would throw it out here anyway.
Whenever I get confused about D&D alignment morality, I just imagine Abraham Lincoln and Mahatma Ghandi arm wrestling shirtless on the back of a killer whale.

In other words, I remember that it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense and deal with it best I can.
Gotetsu
Rogue AI

Post by Gotetsu »

Maybe streamlining the idea a bit might help. Although the idea of a player-created setting is cool, it might be too much for now. I would suggest running this as a two-shot. One session to make characters, and a second to run an adventure. Maybe people might be able to schedule it easier if they know it's a one-time thing.

Just a suggestion. And I'd be interested too, if you did that.
"Don't do that! I peed a little." - Cthulhu after Infernus made an impressive Intimidate roll.
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

[quote="Gotetsu"]Maybe streamlining the idea a bit might help. Although the idea of a player-created setting is cool, it might be too much for now. I would suggest running this as a two-shot. One session to make characters, and a second to run an adventure. Maybe people might be able to schedule it easier if they know it's a one-time thing.

Just a suggestion. And I'd be interested too, if you did that.[/quote]

I have a couple of players already, they are friends of mine that I don't see to often, so it was a good excuse to get together with them. The whole "crew" not being able to do it is not a big deal.

I wanted about four players, but I will make due with two. Actually, if I could get one more, I would be perfectly happy. They have some gaming friends, so maybe I can still get someone else.

Shoby187
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Shoby187 »

[quote="Count Zero"]I have a couple of players already, they are friends of mine that I don't see to often, so it was a good excuse to get together with them. The whole "crew" not being able to do it is not a big deal. [/quote]

You know, on the whole, I hate D&D games. I'm just not a fan of the system. I've always been more of a GURPS man.

That being said, I'm sorry to see that you haven't gotten a bigger response for this game. It's actually the only one I've seen posted in a long time that would make me consider playing D&D. I like the idea that you want ex-adventurers who have settled down and started families. It sounds a lot more interesting then the normal "there's a dark lord taking over" or "you've all shown up in response to a wanted: Adventurers poster."

Good luck with the game man!

devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

Well, as far as the system is concerned, it's not D&D -- it's Burning Wheel. I have now eliminated all your excuses for not playing in this game.
Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
Spirit of the Blank: A blog.
Roll Some Dice: Another blog.
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

[quote="devlin1"]Well, as far as the system is concerned, it's not D&D -- it's Burning Wheel. I have now eliminated all your excuses for not playing in this game.[/quote]

Exactly. :P

I really wanted to play on the D&D tropes and then turn them on their heads a bit. Because I thought he dungeon crawl thing would be fun. I planned on making having flashbacks to adventures when things from the past popped up. Like a strangely familiar dagger from a strange cult.

If you are still interested, then maybe we can meet before Saturday and see if you would be a good fit for the group.

mrlost
Mustachioed Pugilist

Post by mrlost »

Well I think I can make it afterall. What does the group look like so far?
Count Zero
Wild-Eyed Mad Scientist

Post by Count Zero »

[quote="mrlost"]Well I think I can make it afterall. What does the group look like so far?[/quote]

So far there are my two friends. Both of their characters are renegade nobles. One is hell bent on defeating slavery, the other is trying to hide from assassins.

I am thinking of having them rethink their character concepts a bit, because this is suppose to be after they have stopped being adventurers.

thosewhoharp

Post by thosewhoharp »

I might be interested in sundays. I have transportation, but living in south bay discourages me from driving to say N or E County. I also have free time for week night sessions but yeah I know, no one ever wants to do stuff like this after work.