GM looking for GURPS Players

Seeking players or a GM?
Marcus Artorius Silvanus
One-Armed Skeleton

GM looking for GURPS Players

Post by Marcus Artorius Silvanus »

Well my D&D group, due to recent schedule conflicts and financial issues, is on indefinite hold. So this has left me seeking new players for a new campaign. Since GURPS is my first love, I want the new game to be a GURPS game.

The game will be a cinematic high fantasy campaign in the GURPS fantasy setting of Yrth aka Banestorm.

The main theme of the campaign is that an ancient hell god of destruction has recently awakened and is seeking to re-establish his temple in the world of Yrth to bring the world’s doom. The followers of this god have been merely secretive cult members among the elder races, with any large-scale worship having been absent for thousands of years. Orcs and other vile creatures are beginning to gather under this devil’s banner.

The campaign is going to be a highly cinematic, though point totals has yet to be determined, but might be around 150-200 point range with rapid advancement possible.

Ideally, I would like to play on Sunday afternoons or sometime on Saturday, every week, possibly at my place in Vista, or if able, at a friend’s house in Escondido. Rotating locations would be good too. The game will start hopefully sometime in June, once I have enough players interested.

If any is interested, please let me know. You can reach me via this thread or email at stardragon1@msn.com

Thank you,

David

EDIT: We've decided to just go with GURPS Banestorm as the setting, since it is already a complete world with a developed history. This will make everything a lot easier on everyone I think.
Marcus Artorius Silvanus
Illuman23
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by Illuman23 »

Can you give me a quick run down on Banestorm? I've been curious about this setting/book, and /may/ incorporate it into my Dark Tower game. Plus it may help drum up some players for your game.
lu lu lu I've got some apples
lu lu lu You've got some too
lu lu lu Let's make some applesauce
Take off our clothes and lu lu lu
--Butters

<FNORD>
Azerack
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Azerack »

I dunno about every week, but every other would work for me (such is the married life for me).

Depending on when Illuman's game gets going that has first priority, though. :wink:

I just got my GURPs 4th ed. Campaign and Character books, but I'm not familiar with Yrth (anything like Y's from the video game? :mrgreen: (J/K).

I'll shoot you an email so you have it, too.

Az.
SDSkuld
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by SDSkuld »

GURPS Fantasy, hmm? This intrigues me. I played GURPS many editions ago, so I have some familiarity with the system. I will have to learn more of this Banestorm world.
Marcus Artorius Silvanus
One-Armed Skeleton

Well, GURPS Banestorm is a fairly unique world. It is set on the planet Yrth, which was home to Elves, Dwarves, and Orcs. After years of fighting, a group of renegade elves known as Dark Elves (they’re not Drow, but outcast elves) summoned up magic to destroy the orcs, but it went wrong and created the Banestorms.

Banestorms essentially are reality storms that bring people from other worlds to Yrth. So there are a lot of creatures that have been brought to Yrth that are not native, like Centaurs, Goblins, Kobolds, Giants, and Humans. The humans actually come from Earth, usually medieval earth, so you do have Templars, Catholic Monks, Islamic Warriors, Vikings, Japanese Samurai, Native American Tribesmen, etc all brought from Earth to Yrth by the Banestorms.

The major land of Yrth is Megalos, a feudal Roman inspired empire that was actually founded by a native of the Byzantine Empire on Earth. It is large, magic heavy, and very decadent. There are a number of other lands, like Caithness, a human kingdom that is low mana so magic doesn’t work well there, the two Muslim kingdoms, the Orclands, lands of Northmen and Celts, and so on.

Ideally I would like to play weekly on this campaign, but we could start off every other week if the vast majority of the players would want to, but with eventual plans to switch to a weekly play. I want to start the campaign sometime in June; I’m thinking June 17th might be a good time to start.
Marcus Artorius Silvanus
Illuman23
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by Illuman23 »

Awesome! Thanks for the summary. Too bad I don't have any time to RPG until well into July. Hope you get a good group together.
lu lu lu I've got some apples
lu lu lu You've got some too
lu lu lu Let's make some applesauce
Take off our clothes and lu lu lu
--Butters

<FNORD>
Marcus Artorius Silvanus
One-Armed Skeleton

Basically, I'm looking to have a group of about 5 to 7 players. Thats about what my D&D group was. Right now, for the GURPS game, I have (from my old D&D group) 2 definites, 1 that cannot commet to a regular game, but will play whenever she is avaliable, and 1 I am trying to convince to give it a shot.
Marcus Artorius Silvanus
Azerack
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Azerack »

That sounds good to me.

If we could start at bi-weekly, I think I could eventually pull weekly.

Vista and Escondido aren't so bad (as posted, I live in Oceanside) and most likely weekly will be easier for me once I can start hosting at my own place now and again. :wink:

Let me know what you need from me and I'll get to it.

(One thing, though, the 17th is also the current date for the one-shot Conan game that I want to participate in, so unless something changes, there, I might not be available until the 24th, unless you want to make the first one on the 10th...)

Az.
Marcus Artorius Silvanus
One-Armed Skeleton

Another player can't make the 10th... so I'll aim for the 24th. Perhaps I can convince one of my other former D&D players to join in in that time...
Marcus Artorius Silvanus
SDSkuld
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by SDSkuld »

As I'd be coming from San Diego, Escondido would be preferable to Vista for me.

Would the first meeting be used for character creation, or should we try and accomplish that beforehand? I can get my hands the GURPS 4th edition books, but I don't have Banestorm, and there's not much info to work with out on the web. Also, do you have in mind something grand and epic or grim and gritty? What movie or book might have the tome you're looking for with this campaign?
Marcus Artorius Silvanus
One-Armed Skeleton

I apologize for not getting back to you sooner... busy weekend.

I would ideally like to create characters together at our first meetup. That way everyone can decide on a character there, that will complement each other.

I do have a bit of an epic scale in mind, but I want to start small and build on it. I also want to ease into the Cinematic rules as well, so the game play won't be overly grim and gritty. Though I really don't know of a book I have in mind exactly for what I'm wanting... The overall tone of the campaign may be determined by the players.. but I do want to have a D&Desque feel to the game.

Now, when would everyone be able to meetup to discuss the setting and characters? I'm avaliable most time during the weekends, especially with warning, and if its local, most evenings during the week.
Marcus Artorius Silvanus
Azerack
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Azerack »

If it's a meeting in Vista, I can meet up pretty much any time, really. Only being about 15 minutes away helps, in that regard. :mrgreen:

If it's in Escondido then a weekend day would be fine. Hec, even this next Saturday, the 10th would work. If it's just a couple hours at night, though, I could do that (again, if it's in Vista).

Actually, if it's for a couple/few hours, I could even try hosting it (might as well see how many there are and how it would work, right?) at our apartment in Oceanside.

I'll be happy to throw out that I could be in to playing either a mage-type or a thief-type. Aww, heck, I'm actually pretty darn flexible so I can do anything, but Mage and rogue are my first two choices. :biggrin:

So, then.

1. Where? - I can host the initial meeting in Oceanside. Vista or Escondido are also good.

2. When? - If at my place or in Vista, any night; Escondidio, any weekend.

3. What? - First choice for me is Mage, then Rogue, then anything else cos' I'm so flexible. :biggrin:

Bueller?... Bueller?..
Marcus Artorius Silvanus
One-Armed Skeleton

Well, sometimes character creation can take a few hours, so I think during the weekend would be best. Saturday the 10th would be great for my wife and I. If the other gentleman interested here is okay with that, and the other potential players are too, we can do that.

I will see what they say and get back to you.
Marcus Artorius Silvanus
Marcus Artorius Silvanus
One-Armed Skeleton

I'm also curious... would anyone be interested in an occassional Rifts/Robotech game... Dunno when it would be played... right now we're kicking around the idea of once or twice a month on Sundays... dunno yet, if we'll even do it, just wanted to see if anyone would be interested.
Marcus Artorius Silvanus
Azerack
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Azerack »

Hmmn.. Is that more leaning towards the "Mecha" side of Robotech or the Drama side of it? (and to futher show my "geek", do you mean Robotech Saga or the post-holocaust era? :rolleyes:)

I've played Mekton before (using both Votoms and Zeta Gundam models), but as you may have read eslewhere I'm not familiar with RIFTS except for hearing about it.

It sounds intriguing, at least... I'll have to hear more about it when you get more into it.
Niveneh

Interested

Post by Niveneh »

Greetings!
I am new to the site, actually I had to create a profile just to respond to this.
I live in the Escondido area and have been considering re-entering the rpg world. I have been gone for some time.
If GURPS is what I remember it to be then I think the games of Robotech, Cyberpunk and Rifts all fall under the GURPS umbrella? I have played all of those games, though we are talking some years ago. I am not familiar with the world you will be playing in but if you are willing to take on a player that learns quickly then I'm your man....well actually girl.
I am available Saturday nights after 8pm and on Sundays though occasionally I will have other commitments I will be able to play most every week. If you were considering getting together on the 10th then I can do that but not until after 8pm.
Marcus Artorius Silvanus
One-Armed Skeleton

I personally don't have a problem starting the game at 8pm and playing through midnight or 2am... I'll see what the others think though.

We are planning on meeting up this Sunday at probably around 3pm, at a gentleman's house (specifically, Azerack's in Oceanside) to make characters and discuss the upcoming campaign. However, if you cannot make that, its okay... we can make other arrangements for you to make a character, just tell me what sort of character you'd like to play.

The setting, from what I know of it, is a typical low-fantasy setting (though I'll be playing it a bit higher fantasy with cinematic rules) and seems pretty interesting actually.

As for GURPS it self, it is the Generic Universal Role Playing System, so yeah, technically, you can play anything you want in it... Eventually I was thinking of trying different campaigns out, like the Infinite Worlds setting (alternate earths campaign), and a Space game... but that'll be down the road some.

So if you can make it this Sunday, just email me at stardragon1@msn.com and let me know... and I'll give you specifics then as to location.
Marcus Artorius Silvanus
Azerack
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Azerack »

[quote="Marcus Artorius Silvanus"]I personally don't have a problem starting the game at 8pm and playing through midnight or 2am... I'll see what the others think though.

We are planning on meeting up this Sunday at probably around 3pm, at a gentleman's house (specifically, Azerack's in Oceanside) to make characters and discuss the upcoming campaign. However, if you cannot make that, its okay... we can make other arrangements for you to make a character, just tell me what sort of character you'd like to play.

The setting, from what I know of it, is a typical low-fantasy setting (though I'll be playing it a bit higher fantasy with cinematic rules) and seems pretty interesting actually.

As for GURPS it self, it is the Generic Universal Role Playing System, so yeah, technically, you can play anything you want in it... Eventually I was thinking of trying different campaigns out, like the Infinite Worlds setting (alternate earths campaign), and a Space game... but that'll be down the road some.

So if you can make it this Sunday, just email me at [email]stardragon1@msn.com[/email] and let me know... and I'll give you specifics then as to location.[/quote]

I hope you're using that term, gentleman, [i]loosely[/i].. :wink:

Also, I just emailed those in Marcus' email group on how to get to my place after getting past the Yahoo maps (or Google as the case may be). Make sure to ask Marcus for a copy of that email, too, if you think you can make it this Sunday.

Niveneh

Post by Niveneh »

I shot Marcus an email but now that I think of it he has no frame of reference so if you get an email from someone you don't know, it is me. Sorry but this Sunday is really booked up for me. We're going to try to work it out to make me a character on another day.

Did we decide on the first day of play? I think part of the thread said the 24th or something like that.
mongo

I would like to play again too!

Post by mongo »

I live in Escondido, and would like to join a GURPS group. I have not played since third edition, but I just started to purchase 4th Ed GURPS material. I have posted on SJ GAMES Forum with the same title as this one. If you know of a group, or wish to add me, my E-Mail address is "mongosmail@sbcglobal.net", but without the quotation marks. Thanks Mad Douglas ( Mongo )