Journey to the Dark Tower

Seeking players or a GM?
Illuman23
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Journey to the Dark Tower

Post by Illuman23 »

I’m proud to introduce, “Journey to the Dark Tower” a chronicle in twelve parts. This is going to be a mixed media game starting out online/e-mail/post/chat to develop character histories and initial storylines. Once we begin actually playing tabletop the online time will be reduced, but still available for character development. I will not have time to actually run tabletop games until late July/early August. Then I’d like to do tabletop every other week or so.

I’m willing to work with up to 12 characters right now, but the logistics haven’t been fully thought through yet. ( I may get a guest GM if I have too many players at once.)

System: I’m not a big systems fan, but I’m running this in GURPS. This will hopefully allow characters of equal point value to be comparable. Plus it’s got tons of supplements and is flexible enough to create your own powers/rules etc.

Setting: This chronicle will take place in many worlds. A few settings I’m planning on including are World of Darkness (New/Old), RIFTS, Cyberpunk, 1980’s Modern, Anime Japan (various timelines), Space (Dawn of Interstellar travel), and others.

Character: In fact your character can be from just about anywhere, any TV show, RPG or book. The challenges in the game are going to depend on a mixture of ability, skill and power. I don’t really want you to play Luke Skywalker, but a Jedi would work. I would like to start with 100 point characters, with no more than 25 points in flaws. Your power level will then increase, and by the time we play tabletop you’ll be much higher than that. In fact you could play a “normal” human from a particular story (say a Dr. Who companion), and then develop your character as we go.

So who’s in?
lu lu lu I've got some apples
lu lu lu You've got some too
lu lu lu Let's make some applesauce
Take off our clothes and lu lu lu
--Butters

<FNORD>
Wintermute
Dessicated Mummy

Post by Wintermute »

I'm down! Incidentally, just let me know if you want a game forum.
"The sidhe cell sells sea shells down by the sea shore."
-Mordaine, running a Changeling game
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

me...want to play
Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

I'm in. Just call me Haruko.
"I need no mask to speak with you. Unlike my brother. I create my own personality. Personality is my medium."

--Neuromancer, William Gibson
Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

[quote="Neuro"]I'm in. Just call me Haruko.[/quote]

Or at least a total ripoff thereof.

"I need no mask to speak with you. Unlike my brother. I create my own personality. Personality is my medium."

Azerack
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Azerack »

I would be into it, but I live wayy up in Oceanside. :neutral:

But still, would this have anything to do with King's Dark Tower series? (I'm on the last book and really liked it, so that's what caught my interest)

Sounds really cool, though. GURPs is good when you have the right person running the game.

Az.
Illuman23
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by Illuman23 »

This game will have a similar theme, and relation to the Dark Tower series, but you will never meet anyone from any of King's universes (except maybe some agents of the Crimson King).

Edit: I'm also hoping to use Winter and Neuro's space to run the games.:biggrin:
--Butters

<FNORD>
mordraine

Post by mordraine »

[quote="Illuman23"]Edit: I'm also hoping to use Winter and Neuro's space to run the games.:biggrin:[/quote]

Meaning, for those uninitiated, up in Encinitas/Olivenhain

Hey man, I'm slinging volume and fat stacking benjies, you know what I mean? I can't be all about spelling and shit!
Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

We both wanna play, so yeah, that's perfectly fine.

J@ke
Starship Mechanic

Post by J@ke »

[quote="Neuro"]I'm in. Just call me Haruko.[/quote]
Good fricking call. Gas powered bass guitar and all?

"Man, the government is gonna feel dumb when they see my search for 'the+government+sucks+dick.'"
Kevin Gander,Barber
Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

[quote="J@ke"]Good fricking call. Gas powered bass guitar and all?[/quote]

That's certainly the hope. I need to sit down and watch them all again.

devlin1
Adroit Pirate

Post by devlin1 »

[quote="J@ke"]Good fricking call. Gas powered bass guitar and all?[/quote]
I love that show. Even got my mom watching it at one point.

Mike Olson
‎"In this economy, it's not easy to feed a growing family. So we eat Haunkkah gelt for dinner and look at a picture of broccoli." --Paul F. Tompkins
Spirit of the Blank: A blog.
Roll Some Dice: Another blog.
Azerack
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Azerack »

[quote="mordraine"]Meaning, for those uninitiated, up in Encinitas/Olivenhain[/quote]

Well that makes it easier for me, for sure..

[quote]This game will have a similar theme, and relation to the Dark Tower series, but you will never meet anyone from any of King's universes (except maybe some agents of the Crimson King).[/quote]

Theme's fine, I don't care if I miss any of them (though I haven't gotten to the ending, yet so no spoilers!) except maybe a billy-bumbler like Oy. :mrgreen:

I DO find myself using the "get on with it" finger-twirl, though, nowadays (did I mention I've been reading the whole series, already? :wink: ) so I guess I'll have a little "Deschain" inspiring me as we play.

Az.

Illuman23
Bumpy-Headed Alien

Post by Illuman23 »

Yea! I'm glad someone's going to be familiar with the Gunslinger and the Tower. I know that Skyman's got the Cthulu angle covered.

So last night I gave myself nightmares thinking about the game before I fell asleep. Not the best way to design a story, but if I can get 1/10th of the emotion it'll be fun. I'm glad that Neruo will be playing an 'anime' character, she'll definately lighten the mood up.

I'm still hoping for a few more players (one or two). I know the regulars here seem to have their game cards all full up, but this is *hopefully* going to be a unique and fun game.
--Butters

<FNORD>
Neuro
Valorous Knight

Post by Neuro »

I don't know if bright is the word.

Surreal, maybe.

Azerack
One-Armed Skeleton

Post by Azerack »

Oh, "Bo knows" Cthulhu.. :wink:

Actually, I'm thinking about a "Deadlands" character I only got to play a short while but really got to like. Since Deadlands covers two good genres (Cthulhu & Westerns) the character might fit in nicely.

I can always go with an alternate, though.

We shall see (Poor Illuman gets to read two or three paragraphs in an email I sent him. :lol: ).

It might sound bad, but I'm glad you gave yourself nightmares with it. If you can't make a scenario out of a nightmare, why not get nightmares with your scenario?!

Cthulhu would be proud. :biggrin:
Skyman
Proud Regent

Post by Skyman »

[quote="Illuman23"]Yea! I'm glad someone's going to be familiar with the Gunslinger and the Tower. I know that Skyman's got the Cthulu angle covered.

[/quote]

Oh yeah baby!

Actually I'm a fan of Stephen Kings earlier stuff...In my high school years. I actually read the first couple books of the gunslinger series but I couldn't keep up with it.

I would like to play something like a character called Judge from Stephen King's the 'Stand.' The HP Lovecraft element will be that he's a Deep One Hybrid or decedent of Innesmouth. I guess I would call him Sherridan Speaks...AKA: 'Old Speaks.' A WW2 old vet from the Modern 1980's alterniverse where the plague really did hit and he is one of several survivors who has bizarre and haunting dreams about the future.

[img]http://img60.imageshack.us/img60/3747/fan105wt.gif[/img]